SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What can you tell me about the Sig P250
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What can you tell me about the Sig P250 Login/Join 
posted
Hi all,

Have a pistol for sale locally and have been offered a P250 subcompact as a trade. Admittedly my knowledge of them is limited to the fact they appear to be discontinued and seem to be the bridge of design between the SP2022's attempts at modularity and the P320.

What more can you tell me? How hard to find are basic parts like springs, sights and mags? Anything I should look for or be concerned about? I'm tempted as it would be a 9MM and the gun I'm trying to get rid of is 40 so it's already been a tough sale.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 338 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I can tell you that its magazines are the same as those of the P320.

Posts: 27805 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, it's Sig's best defense pistol to date and it's a shame it was discontinued.

I regret selling it to this day to get a first gen 320 that was worse when it came back from "upgrading".

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34072 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
If you like DAO you may like the P250. I had an FS and a couple of exchange kits but didn't keep it long enough to have to replace any parts. The rear sight is a unique, proprietary design.

Posts: 4075 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I had one and liked it. Had a chance to get a Gen2 Glock model 22 (the one without the finger grooves).

Decided that I liked the Gen2 and the P250. Procrastinated until another one presented itself.

Fast forward a few years later and I had a chance to get a P250 that was made in Germany.

I don't think you would be disappointed.

What are you trading?

Posts: 9104 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Bought one of the originals, had some issues, went back to sig and they fixed it, the concept was IMHO great, had the FS, Compact, Sub Compact frames mags and uppers, eventually got bored with it and traded it in on something.

Several years later I regretted selling it because I like the hammer fired concept of the gun. One came up at my LGS used and I bought it, Sub Compact 380, really like it think I paid $250 since nobody was giving it any attention making it a great deal.

You can find mags easy enough, imagine SIG will have parts for a while, springs, etc it's very simple to take down and maintain.

I do like the gun, it is DAO, it does have a long reset on the trigger like a revolver without the short reset if you cock a revolver because you cannot cock this into SAO mode so you need to practice and get used to the long reset if you've been shooting striker fired guns. Trigger is smooth as butter though.

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the Full Size version - but always had a hard time with accuracy with the subcompact until I got the Wilson combat grip module - and it was like a new gun big improvement in my accuracy. If you go with the subcompact and have accuracy issues - try the WC grip module.

Posts: 247 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I like the P250. Its basically a DAO P320. It shares grip modules (if you replace the slide catch lever) and magazines, so those parts should be available for a long time to come. Some of the other parts are compatible as well, like the slide catch lever. It will also fit many P320 Holsters, although the slide profile is a bit different.

The rear sight is weird and kinda goofy. I'm not sure why they did it they way they did, but when I bought mine last year I found replacement P250 rear night sights at CDNN for less than $10. They still glowed pretty bright, too. I'm not sure if they still have them or not, asI think they were clearancing them out, but it would be worth a look.

The mainspring is just two nested coil springs inside the hammer that are retained by a pin. If Sig stops selling them, it would just be a matter of finding some appropriately sized spring stock to cut to fit. Same goes for most of the frame pins. It's a pretty simple design, easy to work on and maintain.

The long smooth trigger is easy to manipulate, and combined with an external hammer provides some margin of safety over most striker-fired designs. I don't love the length of the reset, although I have to admit it's no worse than my revolvers. My 9mm has been completely reliable, the .22 not so much, but that's kind of the way of things with most .22s.

Posts: 8385 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess by now everybody has told you: It's the forerunner of the P320, and it's hammer-fired DAO. Grip frames and magazines are interchangeable between the two.

I have the .22 version, and I enjoy the heck out of it. I stick with Mini-Mags and have had no problems.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I had one and traded it... and now have another just due to my addiction for Sigs... personally, I don't care for Double Action Only... and the p250 has one long trigger pull...

to also give my opinion on part of your question, I've never understood the big concern about replacement parts for a pistol.. especially on a Sig...

Also, besides the mags and grip frame (to a degree) being the same as the the p320... the barrels are the same too... not sure about the spring but I can't imagine there being any kind of problem finding a 9mm recoil spring for that barrel.

For those really into modular ... I just took the firing mechanism out of a P250 in .380 and moved it into a 'conversation' kit for a 40 cal and then ordered a p320 barrel in .357 sig. So, now I have a P250 that will shoot either .357 sig (my favorite) or with just a barrel swap .40 S&W. and I also still have the grip module and such to switch it back to .380... my next plan to throw money at is to actually put a P320 9mm barrel in the 357/40 and see if it will cycle 9mm...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My buddy got in early on the P250. He had issues. They got sorted, but there were issues early on.

Personally, I was unimpressed. I thought the SP2022 should’ve been a striker fired pistol to compete with Glock rather than the HK USP. Then they come along with the P250. Which now is a DAO? C’mon man.

Now I will say that for a DAO it was a good trigger. But I have no use for a DAO. Apparently no one else really did either, cuz they didn’t sell well. The grip was better than a Glock, but it was uninspired. The whole thing was just mediocre. The P250 is the reason why I didn’t go for the P320 for quite a while.

Now, while the P250 and P320 initially shared the same grip module, changes to the P320 controls make the new grip modules unlike to work with the P250. At one point, the new grip modules came with new slide catch levers to retrofit, but I honestly don’t know if those worked in the P250 or were P320 only. There may also be some mag fit issues between “generations” of mags and grips.

If you’re trading away a Taurus or something, you’re probably doing fine. Otherwise I’d avoid the P250 myself. Not saying you’ll get a paperweight; it’s likely a perfectly functional pistol. Just saying it wasn’t one that I cared to own.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1858 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I amputated the forward portion of a Compact grip module and married it to a sub-compact upper. Made it into a 10 shot mini.
I like the DAO concept, but I understand why many do not.

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 686 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Long trigger pull, long trigger reset, surprisingly sweet (and definitely easy to work with) DAO trigger pull. I recommend the Full Size versions but haven't tried the SubCompact.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think this is genius. Better than p250.

Posts: 3478 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a compact model. It works well and I don't mind the DA only pull in a self defense gun. It gives me a revolver feel, but much higher capacity.

Posts: 932 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveR2012
posted Hide Post
I had an odd version back in 2015. Full size upper on a compact frame. It was sold by Gander Mountain, and I think Sig made it specifically for them. The pistol was very reliable and accurate. I could just not get used to the DAO, and was my first, and only, polymer pistol. Decided that polymer pistols were not for me, so gave it to my son-in-law, and he loves it. He also shoots it better than I ever did. I believe that Nutnfancy did a YouTube video on the pistol. He seemed to like the gun.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SteveR2012,

Posts: 109 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I like the P250. Its basically a DAO P320. It shares grip modules (if you replace the slide catch lever)

So would this be a P320 slide catch lever I would need to replace?

quote:
The rear sight is weird and kinda goofy. I'm not sure why they did it they way they did, but when I bought mine last year I found replacement P250 rear night sights at CDNN for less than $10. They still glowed pretty bright, too. I'm not sure if they still have them or not, asI think they were clearancing them out, but it would be worth a look.

I see what you mean, I did check CDNN and they are still showing some for $2.99! Honestly I have been trying to standardize my sights with a black rear and front night sight, that might be a tall order on this one.

I appreciate the responses so far. I think I am going to go ahead with the trade. If nothing more it will be another example of Sig's evolution for my collection.

Posts: 338 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
So would this be a P320 slide catch lever I would need to replace?

Correct. You can install a P320 Slide Catch on your P250 FCU to allow it to work with all the current P320 grip modules. The "paddles" on the older-style P250 slide catch lever interfere with some of the newer grip modules.

Posts: 8385 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderfully smooth, long, DAO pull. The only thing that might trip you up is too pay attention to the mag floorplates. Newest 320 series mags have tabs that match recesses cut into the sides of the magwell. Those floorplates won't seat into your P250's 'frame' grip module.

Personally, any chance to OFF a .40 and come-out okay is a chance to be taken.

Posts: 378 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bonker
posted Hide Post
I have a P250 subcompact. I love the trigger but I need a larger grip so getting a P320 x compact grip module, new slide release lever, and some 15 round mags.

Good luck!

Posts: 575 | Location: Nevada | Registered: January 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post