Find
Notify
Tools

New HK P 7 Login/Join 
Picture of JoeyBones7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by somerled:
I wonder if they boast the fluted chamber so there will again be striped empties scattered over the range floor? Zebra reloads are cool. :-)

"
Delayed Blowback

The gas-delayed blowback system softens the felt recoil, allowing you to get back on target even faster. Directed gasses and a fluted chamber work together to make casing ejection more consistent and reliable— even with a broken extractor."

Damn, I'll be in luck if someone shows up with one near me. I miss being hit by very hot, fluted 9mm cases.

Interestingly, P7Pro has manufactured both fluted and non-fluted USA-made barrels. As well as extended and threaded variants of both.

From what Brett tells me, his testing indicates that the flutes are not necessary on the P7 pistol, and merely contribute to the rate at which the pistol becomes caked in carbon and soot.

I am not sure if he did the "no extractor HK test," but in any event both fluted and non-fluted barrel options are now available from P7Pro.

Posts: 493 | Location: PA | Registered: May 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know from being caught out conflating them, that the barrel is Polygonal" and the Chamber is "Fluted." You can find magazine articles that mix up these terms. Its pretty confusing. Now maybe you need both of these to have the cushion of gasses carry the brass out of the chamber? I am not sure about that? I didn't know that "Hill and Valley" rifling was available as an option already, although I know that it is a plan to offer it with the .40 S&W and .357SIG versions of the P7Pro M10. One advantage of the Polygonal Rifling that still remains is that it is partly responsible for P7 Pistols going so long, decades, without needing a new barrel. Hill and Valley barrels wear down faster, still can last a long time, but not nearly as long, I think, if a lot of bullets are shot. I am very into the threaded barrels, although they might make reassembly after field stripping harder than without. Being a Noob myself, I won't know until after I have fields stripped them several more times. And I can only do the beginner job and not the more complicated version where you take the firing pin cover off the back with the provided tool and remove the grips, etc.

Posts: 3 | Registered: August 08, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
This video came up in my YouTube recommendations today:

https://youtu.be/wWmnYnJGN7o?si=2b0Oy60ztX5kN6op

Posts: 652 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
From what Brett tells me, his testing indicates that the flutes are not necessary on the P7 pistol,

From what I recall, some old guy named Bruce put smooth chambered barrels on some P7s. And a lot of other stuff, too.

quote:
I didn't know that "Hill and Valley" rifling was available as an option already,

"Hill and valley" Is that what some of us call "land and groove" rifling?
If so, that Bruce fellow did that, too.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know full well that it's a concession to modernity, but I just can't love that rail.

-MG

Posts: 2226 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
I know full well that it's a concession to modernity, but I just can't love that rail.

I agree with monoblok, the P7 just don't look good with a rail. Just like a 1911.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9419 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post