SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which is a better backup firearm >>>>>>>
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which is a better backup firearm >>>>>>> Login/Join 
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just for shits and giggle, I'll throw this in here. This has been around for a while, so some may have seen it. He covers the issues pretty well from both sides of the argument, and covers some issues I didn't think of.

Thank you for posting that video.

That was very interesting to watch.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have carried a second gun on occasions, it is not that difficult. Is it needed? Only you can make that judgement, it is a highly personal decision.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for your replies and opinions. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I usually carry a government model 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm on my belt with a spare magazine covered by an untucked garment. I also carry a Sig P938 9mm in my front jeans pocket with a spare magazine.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post

Although S&W 9mm shields are so cheap with the rebates that seem to come every 6 months. I have seen them as low as $225 or $200 with the rebates. Just a thought.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:

Agree, it was good but I did not catch where he said anything about a malfunction as a reason to carry a spare. He brought up multiple reasons, but I did not hear that one.

Or did I miss it?

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't gather this to be a "should I carry a second gun?" thread, and yet in came the "you don't need it" crowd.

Here are some things to chew on:

1) When confronted with a weapon, people tend to focus on it. They shoot at it. Most weapons aren't going to take a bullet and want to keep working IF it doesn't jack your hand(s) up. If you end up with a torn up hand or a hole through your gun, what's your plan?

2) Anybody with any hand-to-hand training and most people instinctively are going to attack the weapon first. If you are disarmed by your assailant, what's your plan?

3) In a grappling or gun grab situation, one or both hands may be occupied with trying to stop your assailant or counter the assault. You may also end up in a position where your gun is pinned against the ground and inaccessible. If you are being strangled by your assailant or pinned to the ground or both and can't draw your gun, what's your plan?

4) If you are wounded, they are wounded, or somebody else is wounded, you will discover the amazing lubricity of blood and may drop your gun. If you get knocked upside the head trying to draw, or trip and fall, or whoever knows, you may drop your gun. If you drop your gun, you may not be able to get to it. If that happens, what's your plan?

It is inarguable that the overwhelmingly vast majority of people carrying guns will never use them for self-defense. There really isn't any two ways about it. That doesn't mean they won't determine based on their own assessment of risk that they won't need them. Primary, secondary, spare mags, rifle, shotgun, armor, whatever. Jumping into a thread and telling somebody you don't know, have never met, and likely will never meet in blanket form what they will or will not "need."

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

Agree, it was good but I did not catch where he said anything about a malfunction as a reason to carry a spare. He brought up multiple reasons, but I did not hear that one.

Or did I miss it?

You're correct, sir.

He didn't mention malfunction.

As for me, I always have a knife on me. When carrying concealed, it will almost always be an extremely sharp flip opening ZT clipped to my offside pocket. I can very easily open it with my weak side hand and get someone in the throat, for example, if needed.

Prefer to use that over the automatic knife in my pocket at all other times.

Yes. I would consider to carry a BUG. A P365 would be nice as it is being forced upon me by my "friends" to get one... Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am only familiar with the 642, and have a Performance Center variant* of the 642, with another model designation, but that only means that my choice, of the two, could only be the 642 variant. If we look at the weapons, themselves, we see that the “fastback” profile of the 642 makes it less likely to catch on something, during the draw, whereas the tang area of an auto, or the rear of the slide, might hit a snag, during the draw-stroke, depending upon the characteristics of the backpack or other carry method. So, I would lean toward selecting a hidden-hammer or spurless-hammer revolver, all else being equal.

*Early in the production of the 642, some cosmetic rejects were sent to the Performance Center, where they got cosmetic refreshes, along with trigger smoothing. Mine is stamped as an “M 460” on the frame, but I seem to remember the sticker on the box being labeled “430.” A friend bought one from another run, labeled as a Model 042.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
No. He didn't. When I watched it I thought about that also. If the video was newer, and I thought he might respond, I would have put a comment in the video about it, but at this point, I didn't think it was worth it.

quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

Or did I miss it?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post