SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which is a better backup firearm >>>>>>>
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which is a better backup firearm >>>>>>> Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
642. And you might also look at the LCR.

Does the LCR have less recoil than a 642? My 642 w/stock Uncle Mike boot grips is "snappy" on my 69 year old hands. I've heard the LCR is easier to shoot but I've never fired one.

The LCP has replaced the 642 as my pocket pistol anyhow.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The stock rubber boot-grips on the Smith leave the backstrap exposed, and they don't quite fill-up my hand. The stock Hogue's on the Ruger LCR better fill the hand, and are cushioned all the way around. Thus, you perceive a softer-shooting revolver, ounce-for-ounce.

I had and used an LCR for about a year, IIRC. Still, I came back around to J-frames.

quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
... it's a 642 in the front off-side pocket. I choose it because it fits and draws easily from that position. I carry it on my off side because that gives me the option if the strong side is injured.

... it sounds like you are carrying off body. If that's the case, I'm not sure how much good a backup will do you. The chances of you getting the first pistol out of a sling pack quickly is pretty slim. The chances of you needing and being able to retrieve a second pistol is even more so. I'm not criticizing; that's just the reality. On the other hand, if you are forcibly relieved of the pack you've lost two pistols. Just something to consider.

Echoed

Posts: 383 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
are you planning on going to war? Sure seems like a lot of reloads.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What make and model is your primary?

Of the two options you listed, I'd take the J frame. But, by going with off-body carry you are negating it ECQC capability. One of the snubnoses strengths is the ability to be operated reliably with with a sub optimal grip or while driven into an opponents body. It's hard to leverage that if you have to pull it out of the bag. I'd recommend IWB possible on the weak side. Also, by having the gun in the bag you increase the risk of having it snatched.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictorLouis:
The stock rubber boot-grips on the Smith leave the backstrap exposed, and they don't quite fill-up my hand. The stock Hogue's on the Ruger LCR better fill the hand, and are cushioned all the way around. Thus, you perceive a softer-shooting revolver, ounce-for-ounce.

I had and used an LCR for about a year, IIRC. Still, I came back around to J-frames.

Echoed

Try the hogue tamers or the pachmar compacs on the j frame. I felt a big difference

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
642. And you might also look at the LCR.

Does the LCR have less recoil than a 642? My 642 w/stock Uncle Mike boot grips is "snappy" on my 69 year old hands...

Minor error: MY 642 started with Uncle Mike's but now has Crimson Trace grips. Both were "snappy" and I now shoot it maybe 2x/year.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
~~~>>>642<<<~~~
Carried in your pocket.

Posts: 26907 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All firearms are mechanical so therefore a firearm will break... To steal from what I believe a US Navy SEAL quote " 2 is 1 so 1 is none ". As a range instructor for citizens and law enforcement I have observed firearms that cease to function for many different reasons. From the beginning of my time of carrying a firearm I have carried a second firearm. Some big some small. NAA minis or a Smith Air-weight 438) If you primary should fail you have a fall back to go to, to go to the exit door with. I encourage this to all citizens and law enforcement on and off duty. Grammar is, great punctuation is cool but, standing there with a broken gun without a spare makes you the fool. VI...

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Any civilian (defining this as non-LE) who carries a gun at all is vastly more prepared than the vast majority of civilians who don't. Also, the likelihood of a civilian actually drawing and firing their carry weapon in a defensive situation is also very low. In all likelihood it will never happen. If they chose a quality firearm of known reliability, and properly maintain it, the chances of having failure are very low (if it isn't, they should change firearms.) Given all this, I don't really see enough chance of actually needing a BUG to make it worth carrying.

Of course, if it's your comfort level, it's fine. I just see it as overkill for civilian CCW. Uniform,or even plain cloths LE? Yes, then I'd want it.

quote:
Originally posted by villageidiot:
All firearms are mechanical so therefore a firearm will break... To steal from what I believe a US Navy SEAL quote " 2 is 1 so 1 is none ". As a range instructor for citizens and law enforcement I have observed firearms that cease to function for many different reasons. From the beginning of my time of carrying a firearm I have carried a second firearm. Some big some small. NAA minis or a Smith Air-weight 438) If you primary should fail you have a fall back to go to, to go to the exit door with. I encourage this to all citizens and law enforcement on and off duty. Grammar is, great punctuation is cool but, standing there with a broken gun without a spare makes you the fool. VI...

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
When I carry a backup gun, the large majority of the time it is a 5-shot revolver (340 or 442) loaded with 135gr +P 38SPL Gold Dots. Offhand pocket or ankle.

Yes, j-frames are challenging to shoot at distance, but I'd rather something with a lower likelihood of malfunction when fired from a pocket, from a bag, or in close contact when compared to a pocket semi auto / 380.

It's only overkill until you need it. One winter as an experiment, I carried an IWB G19, ankle J-frame, and off-hand pocket LCP, plus a fixed blade Emerson. Once you get used to it, you forget they are there. I stopped after 2 weeks and went to only the ankle J-frame occasionally.

And personally I dislike off body carry as I see it as more likely to be forgotten / left in a bag than something you carry on your person. But it is far better than no firearm at all.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me the 642 had a little more recoil than the LCR. What sold me on the LCR is its trigger. Much better than the Smith, IMHO.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Have you ever needed to go to a backup? I'm not even asking if you ever had to draw your primary.

I have no doubt it could be done. I'm just saying it's so unlikely you'll ever need it that it isn't worth the effort.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
When I carry a backup gun, the large majority of the time it is a 5-shot revolver (340 or 442) loaded with 135gr +P 38SPL Gold Dots. Offhand pocket or ankle.

Yes, j-frames are challenging to shoot at distance, but I'd rather something with a lower likelihood of malfunction when fired from a pocket, from a bag, or in close contact when compared to a pocket semi auto / 380.

It's only overkill until you need it. One winter as an experiment, I carried an IWB G19, ankle J-frame, and off-hand pocket LCP, plus a fixed blade Emerson. Once you get used to it, you forget they are there. I stopped after 2 weeks and went to only the ankle J-frame occasionally.

And personally I dislike off body carry as I see it as more likely to be forgotten / left in a bag than something you carry on your person. But it is far better than no firearm at all.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
My vote is for the 642.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’d go with the 642. Doesn’t need as much maintenance, springs are at rest, can be given to someone with little experience...

And I don’t blame you for wanting a backup, regardless of what some here are saying. They probably don’t carry a spare tire in their vehicle.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Only time I ever carried a BUG was during my on duty status as an LEO. Never off duty, nor when I've carried on a CCW/LTCF/CWP etc...

My BUG was always a S&W J frame snubby, different models over the years.

I'm a big fan of the S&W J frame snubby for a BUG role.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Have you ever needed to go to a backup? I'm not even asking if you ever had to draw your primary.
By your logic you don't need to carry at all, because very few civilians ever need to draw a gun. The very same argument people who thought they only needed 2 days of food and TP used, because until now, that was all they needed. Like somehow having 2 guns or 2 months of TP is such a horrible affront to society. Wink

And realize that your primary going down is only part of the reason to carry a BUG. The other part for me is to arm someone else, i.e. the wife who has a permit but doesn't carry all the time, a trusted friend, etc.

It may not fit your lifestyle, heck most people with a permit don't even carry a gun outside the home. Even fewer carry at home, because it's 'right over there' or something like that.

For me carrying all that stuff was an interesting experiment and I don't often carry a single BUG, much less 2. But if my eyes are open and clothes are on, I have a gun, flashlight, and a reload. And if I thought the situation warranted, putting on a BUG is what it is -> no big deal. Inanimate metal, polymer, and fabric attached to me.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
My choice

Posts: 4030 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Lovely revolver. Now all you need is a Tyler T-Grip and you're all set. Cool

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The question is, how rare does something have to be that it becomes non-productive to prepare for it? I think most of us here would say the the possibility of facing an attack is likely enough in ones lifetime that carrying a gun makes sense. I think there's also a factor that if someones shoots as a hobby/sport one would feel stupid if one did end having to defend themselves, and did not have the tool to do it with.

But going to the bug thing (for non-LEOs at least) I'm sorry, I don't see the added PITA factor counterbalanced by enough non-ridiculous scenarios where a BUG would both be needed and be deployable. Maybe you do, which is fine, but I'm not there.

Just for shits and giggles, I'll throw this in here. This has been around for a while, so some may have seen it. He covers the issues pretty well from both sides of the argument, and covers some issues I didn't think of.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/FXtzu0bJmb8

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
By your logic you don't need to carry at all, because very few civilians ever need to draw a gun. The very same argument people who thought they only needed 2 days of food and TP used, because until now, that was all they needed. Like somehow having 2 guns or 2 months of TP is such a horrible affront to society. Wink

And realize that your primary going down is only part of the reason to carry a BUG. The other part for me is to arm someone else, i.e. the wife who has a permit but doesn't carry all the time, a trusted friend, etc.

It may not fit your lifestyle, heck most people with a permit don't even carry a gun outside the home. Even fewer carry at home, because it's 'right over there' or something like that.

For me carrying all that stuff was an interesting experiment and I don't often carry a single BUG, much less 2. But if my eyes are open and clothes are on, I have a gun, flashlight, and a reload. And if I thought the situation warranted, putting on a BUG is what it is -> no big deal. Inanimate metal, polymer, and fabric attached to me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I think it is too much. the most I would do is carry another magazine... with semi autos the most likely off chance need is going to be an emergency magazine change for different reasons.. I think more ammo is a better choice if you are going to be that paranoid... (and I don't mean that in a negative way)

Where I have gotten to over the years is if one is going to carry a firearm then the first thing they need to do is get and maintain the most training they can afford ... time and money wise... the second item is to carry the most practical and reliable hand gun possible that they can just barely afford.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post