SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Miami Vice era pistols
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Miami Vice era pistols Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I bought a NOS 4506 at a gunshow for around $550 about 15 years ago. Then I got a matching 5906 from a large internet gun closeout place for about $400.

The 4506 was comically huge and seemed to cycle in slow motion when you fired it. So much mass moving back and forth. One thing about the 3rd Gen Smiths is the DA pull is about the smoothest of any unmodified factory DA/SA - no stacking, no gritchy stuff. It was easy enough to be accurate on the first shot with those.

The 5906 was OK, better with the flat backstrap grip, but a bit heavy for the capacity.

I liked them for the nostalgia but ended up trading them for something else when Smith stopped supporting them and sold all the spare parts to Numrich. I had one of those leaf springs inside bend and eventually break and getting it replaced was a pain.

But then I'm the idiot that traded a barely used P7M8 for something else I can't remember because it was too heavy for an 8 shot 9mm and got too after a few mags. That was pretty dumb.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

I used to carry a 6906 that was a laser at qualifications and even competitions. That Southeastern Police Supply receipt brings back memories! Have my father’s S&W Model 66 no dash that he purchased from there. I was a youngster with him when he bought it and I continued to do business with them for a long time.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Tubbs never used a Model 49.

Posts: 383 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Both the Model 38 and Model 49 are blued/blackened J-frames with shrouded hammers, but the 49 has a steel frame while the 38 has an aluminum alloy frame.

"His primary sidearm throughout all five seasons of the show was a Smith & Wesson Model 38 "Bodyguard" revolver with a 2 inch barrel and custom Pachmyr grips, chambered in .38 Special."

https://miamivice.fandom.com/w...rdo_%22Rico%22_Tubbs

"Smith & Wesson Model 38 "Bodyguard"
Detective Ricardo Tubbs
Miami Vice
All episodes 1984-1989"

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Philip_Michael_Thomas

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
...the real version of the first Airsoft pistol I bought. That was a two-tone Smith 59.

quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:

Let me guess - Daisy Soft Air Model 59? Big Grin

I had one as a kid and LOVED that pistol.
(Honestly, if I found one nowadays relative cheap, I might pick one up for nostalgia sake. Big Grin )

Close! It's the Maruzen 59 Custom version. The Maruzens were the ones that Daisy first imported under their name.

I remember walking into Jeffrey's Toys at Ghiradelli Square in the mid-'80s and seeing this massive Arnold Schwarzenegger wall of Airsoft weapons displayed. I had to pick up this pistol there as soon as I saved enough money. That was when San Francisco was cool—back when you could have the massive San Francisco Gun Exchange right in the middle of downtown SF and no one would bat an eye.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Ummmmm

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0647070/

Maybe......you won’t even twitch.

I remember that the network censors had heartburn over that scene - They said it was too violent for network TV.

Posts: 466 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Maybe just use whatever Jim is rocking...

I remember they showed this scene in my most recent carry class renewal. The point being to stress the importance of muscle memory when it comes to committing to the draw/shoot, re-holster, assess to the left/right, move on.

My favorite part of course is that he’s wearing yellow shooting glasses.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p220cop
posted Hide Post
"If you had on a white suit with a pastel color shirt and/or a skinny tie, what would you carry ?"

Steyr GB Auto in a shoulder holster and two spare mags. No question about it. Smile When I think 80's auto pistols, the GB is always at the top of my list.

Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done........

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I'm an amazing beautiful soul. Another person will say I'm a cold-hearted asshole. Believe them both. I act accordingly......

Posts: 142 | Registered: June 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just remember saying damn that guy is smooth. Car guns, does what he wants and hunts the bad guys. I’ve always wanted a Bren just to say I had one.

Posts: 373 | Registered: September 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
There is an entire Wiki site about Miami Vice characters and includes extensive details about their weapons:

quote:

James "Sonny" Crockett

Weapons:

Crockett's signature weapon was the high-tech, stainless steel pistol he carried as his primary sidearm, and he carried three such weapons during the course of the series. However, the first handgun he is seen with, in the pilot episode, is a SIG Sauer P220 chambered in .45 ACP (known in the United States at the time as the Browning BDA 45, after it was imported and re-branded by Browning). It was only used in this one episode, and when the show was picked up Crockett switched to the style of handgun that he would become famous for throughout the series with his adoption of the then-state-of-the-art Dornaus & Dixon Bren Ten chambered in 10mm Auto. The use of the Bren Ten on Miami Vice was the first media appearance of the gun, and it generated such consumer interest that Dornaus & Dixon were unable to meet the demand and the company went out of business two years later. As a result, Crockett switched to a 2nd generation Smith & Wesson automatic, the model 645 in .45 ACP, at the start of the third season. At the beginning of the 5th and final season, Crockett was issued the brand new, updated version of the 645, the 4506, also chambered in .45 ACP.

Over the course of the series, Crockett also armed himself with a backup weapon in an ankle holster. In the pilot, this was a Detonics Pocket 9 in 9mm Parabellum, although, as with his primary weapon, this was changed when the show was picked up, to a Detonics Combat Master chambered in .45 ACP. This lasted until the start of season 4, when, in keeping with Crockett's tendency to use Smith & Wesson firearms in later seasons, he started using a Smith & Wesson 6906 chambered in 9mm Parabellum as his backup.

The selection of Crockett's personal weaponry was dictated by Michael Mann and other firearms experts on the show, who felt that he should use the most "modern" firearms available. It was also decided that any weaponry Crockett used had to fit with his drug-dealing alter-ego, and therefore needed to be superior to traditional police-issue firearms in terms of both expense and styling. As a result of these ground rules, the two Smith & Wessons he used during the series were brand new additions to the firearms market, while his Bren Ten was the first (and, for some time, only) handgun to fire the 10mm Auto round.

Crockett also used heavier weapons when the occasion called for it, including an Heckler & Koch MP5A3 in "Calderone's Return (Part II)", a Steyr AUG in the episode "Out Where the Buses Don't Run", and an Armsel Striker 12 gauge in the final episode, "Freefall". During his time as the "real" Sonny Burnett in seasons 4 and 5, Crockett armed himself with a distinctive two-toned SIG Sauer P220, with a black slide and silver frame.

Miami Vice Wiki

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Don't forget about the IMFDB Smile

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Miami_Vice_(TV_Series)

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I remember most about that era aside from being in the Navy was the amount of new "wondernines" being brought in or developed here stateside!
Since I still own and carry pistols from said era, if I were to pick one for daily use,I'd pick a S&W 459/659, or the SIG P226.
Dale

POW/MIA: You are Not Forgotten

Posts: 474 | Location: East St.Louis, Il. | Registered: June 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1324 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too bad the Bren Ten didn't catch hold. About 5-10 years ago Vltor was supposed to resurrect the pistol but it never took off either. Maybe with the stronger interest in the 10MM cartridge these days, another manufacturer will produce it.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Too bad the Bren Ten didn't catch hold. About 5-10 years ago Vltor was supposed to resurrect the pistol but it never took off either. Maybe with the stronger interest in the 10MM cartridge these days, another manufacturer will produce it.

It’s not that it didn’t catch on. The company had issues and went bankrupt. Demand was high, but they weren’t equipped to handle it.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anyone ever recreates the Bren X and sells it, they had better get rid of that stupid cross bolt safety in the slide. And ambi option for the frame safety would be nice too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cwm1150
posted Hide Post
Great thread, I own a 4506 due to Miami Vice. One of my most favorite TV shows of all time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cwm1150,

Posts: 176 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cwm1150:
Great thread, I own a 4506 due to Miami Vice. One of most favorite TV shows of all time.

I had one because of the show but I stupidly traded it off for something that didn't stay around very long.

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Maybe just use whatever Jim is rocking...

I remember they showed this scene in my most recent carry class renewal. The point being to stress the importance of muscle memory when it comes to committing to the draw/shoot, re-holster, assess to the left/right, move on.

My favorite part of course is that he’s wearing yellow shooting glasses.

My favorite part is that immediately after shooting a cop he clears the weapon like a comp shooter...talk about muscle memory.

I would go with a 1911 done one of the greats....probably Swenson

And a Fitz in my pocket

Maybe a Devel

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post