SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W Body Guard 380 for Pocket carry?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Body Guard 380 for Pocket carry? Login/Join 
posted
I'm considering the Body Guard 380 for pocket carry and was wondering if anyone has one or what your thoughts might be for this choice.?

I was set to get a 365 but they are a little heavy and large(I have an xl for IWB). I can change the sights on the S&W, can't on my second choice the LCP.. And then there is the 380 itself, not sure about its effectiveness..

Your thoughts?

thanks...60

Posts: 35 | Registered: January 26, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I had one and it was great to carry, but I never could get use to the trigger. I now happily carry a 365.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one for a few years and I liked it.
It only had issues with S&B ammo and some hollow points, but, it was very reliable with round nose from the major manufactures. It’s a little small if you have big hands but recoil was not bad and it was fairly accurate if you clamp down on it with your grip.

I ended up trading it for a j-frame to get the bigger round, but It conceals way better than a j-frame, so sometimes I think I should not have made the trade. I have been thinking of getting two more - one for each pocket since they are so small with limited power.

Posts: 48 | Registered: May 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I tried a buddy's BodyGuard 380 and it was too small. I ended up getting a Glock 42 (from our very own Leagle Beagle) and then got a P365 9mm for pocket carry. The P365 in 9mm is about the same size as the Glock 42.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’d recommend a Kahr CW380 or CM9

I’ve owned and carried both and currently carry the CM9

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses

quote:

I liked the Kahr but I think I'd want a safety for pocket carry.
I really like the 365xl and it would be ideal to get the 365 but it seems a little on the large side for pocket. Anyone carry it in their pocket?

Posts: 35 | Registered: January 26, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to have one. For what it is I think it is pretty good. Decent sights, not a great trigger, pretty easy to make disappear. They are tiny which is their best feature. Mine had the laser built in and was problematic until the internet fixed it. (S&W couldn’t)

Posts: 7497 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1860ARMY:
Thanks for the responses

quote:

I liked the Kahr but I think I'd want a safety for pocket carry.

I pocket carry a CM9 all the time and never feel unsafe about it not having a manual safety.

It's got a long and firm DAO trigger and sits in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster with trigger well covered.

Do you really want to be fumbling with a manual safety on a small pocket gun???

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
The one I shot worked well. Had the (IMO) gimmicky integral laser sight. Functioned well. Seemed like a good option, similar to the Ruger LCP. Both are excellent in a pocket holster. (please use a holster)

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For pocket carry I prefer these because they are hammer fired. Yes on a holster of course but I’m not a striker in my pocket guy if I can help it

Posts: 7497 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
For pocket carry I prefer these because they are hammer fired. Yes on a holster of course but I’m not a striker in my pocket guy if I can help it

FYI the Kahr does not pre-cock the striker so it's no different really than a hammer that is down.

posted Hide Post
quote:
FYI the Kahr does not pre-cock the striker so it's no different really than a hammer that is down.

Is it a striker or an internal hammer ?

Posts: 933 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
Have one just for deeper concealment. Its a tiny gun, shit trigger but safe. Great option for daily pocket carry.

Posts: 958 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
I had a PPK-S for a while. It was just OK. Fickle and jammed a couple of times while at the range.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Mike has one, and it’s perfect for her tiny frozen woman hands. I shoot it but it’s a toy in my hand. I wear a large work glove from lowes

Op, I’d recommend holding one before buying or ordering one

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
quote:

Is it a striker or an internal hammer ?
Striker. But not pre-cocked or partially cocked IIRC.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djinco:
I had a PPK-S for a while.
Neat

posted Hide Post
I decided on the LCP Max for pocket carry, but didn't like the smallish sights (it did have a night sight on the front), so I put night sights on it with a larger front sight. It works every time, the sights shoot to point of aim at 21' and I am confident with it. Got a Kydex pocket holster that holds it in position in my pocket and am quite happy with it for its intended purpose.

I've kinda stayed away from S&W for the last few years. Probably they're just fine, but....

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, the trigger was horrendous on the Bodyguard. It is very long and heavy. I wanted to like it as it fit a lot of my criteria I want in a firearm- thumb safety (although it is stiff), laser (on some models),inexpensive as are the mags and comes from a name you can trust. Sig makes the P365 in a .380 as well, although I don't know if the dimensions of the overall gun are different compared to the 9mm version.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I have carried one. It fits in a bicycling jersey, for example. Cargo shorts. About anywhere, I suppose.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post