SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Leaked new gun Smith & Wesson CSX
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leaked new gun Smith & Wesson CSX Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
What's with all this "SAO with an exposed hammer isn't safe!" silliness?

The fear of a cocked hammer is based on ignorance of how a gun works. Yes a cocked hammer on a revolver with a light SA pull is not "safe", but SA Semi-Autos are not revolvers. Yes they have safeties, but a properly designed frame safety that disengages intuitively with a high thumbs firing grip is fine.

The cocked striker on an M&P or P320 is no safer than a cocked hammer. It is held in place by a sear, and has a firing pin block. However the sear/striker interface has to be rather large to compensate for slide to frame fit, looseness and play, which usually makes for a crappy trigger pull. Hammer fired guns do not have this issue and can be toleranced much tighter for a better trigger pull.

Funny, but after more than 100 years of military and LE carrying the 1911, and more than 75 years of the Hi Power, I do not recall a lot of discussions of "1911 leg" or "Hi Power leg" or ND's during takedown as we have with Glocks.

Striker guns are popular because they are cheaper and easier to make, simpler in design (fewer parts), and reliable. They also offer higher margins to the manufacturer. But they also have heavier recoil springs.

I bought a P238 Legion on a whim when they were being blown out after Sig discontinued them. And damn it's a good shooting gun. Accurate, easy recoil, and lightly spring slide for people that need that.

As for this M&P, I have been asking for a while for someone to make an updated 1911-ish 9mm gun with better feed geometry, ramped barrel, no swinging link, Sig style barrel chamber locking vs. multiple lugs, decent capacity, and non-stupid price. The Wilson EDC in "Commander" size is nice, but I'm not going to carry a $3000 gun every day.

CSX = Chief's Special Genderless?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I like the looks of the gun and I believe the intent with the trigger is to replace the 1911 grip safety. If the trigger is anything like the new M&P 2.0 Shield's, which I consider the best of all factory striker fired pistols, then I'll probably snag the CSX.

It also helps I dislike all polymer framed guns, except for my Steyr M9-A1.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
So it's essentially a knockoff of the Sig P938

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
So it's essentially a knockoff of the Sig P938

It's a twelve shot gun the size of the Shield Plus.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
I mean in a world where everyone owns a Glock looks aren't that important.

I'm happy it does not have an optic cut or accessory rail.

A new hammer fired gun with metal frame is kind of nice actually.

I definitely don't like the way the trigger looks but maybe it feels nice I'd have to see in person.

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my 938…. If it’s cost conscience, I’ll buy one. That means it will flop. At least they’re still trying.

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Sigma and aN old Llama or Balister Molina got drunk on New Years and this is the product of a one night stand. Barf.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I actually don't mind the aesthetics...I mean, it's no 1911, but it's not supposed to be. It looks like a nice minimalist, slim design, has contours in all the right places, and looks like it would be comfortable in the hand. I like the textured front strap, and the modular backstraps looks like it could work if it's done right...no knowing for sure until holding one, though. The Beavertail could be about 1/2-3/4" shorter...would help with concealment.

My only real beef with the concept is that I have no use for an SAO carry gun. They need to offer this in DA/SA with a decocker instead of the manual safety, and lose the trigger dingus.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
I kinda like it. Not sure if I’ll buy one. It’s nice to see a new release that’s not the same old polymer framed striker fired pistol that’s currently in vogue.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
They'd do better to bring back to CS9. That was a great gun.
Or better yet the 3913

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few of these guns are already showing up on a big auction site.

At least Smith can't be accused of teasing a gun that they might get around to building in ten months or more.

I certainly don't need one. I do want to shoot one though.

It's not a looker but then how many of the newest guns are?

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I got an email from Shoot Point Blank and they have them in stock for $599. About half a dozen You Tube videos showed up this morning too.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Based on the review videos that dropped on the Youtubes this morning, the CSX is a bit smaller than I was expecting. It's P365 sized. (And only 1.7 oz heavier, despite the metal frame.)

The guy in the original "leaked" photo must have little hands.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure what to think of it. Looks like the old star fire star pistol to me. I liked that gun.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Looks like the old star fire star pistol to me.

Maybe. Kinda. If you squint enough.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of it. Kind of reminded me of the Wilson EDC X9 when I first saw it.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Looks like the old star fire star pistol to me.

Maybe. Kinda. If you squint enough.

I had FireStar. Compact, but heavy,heavy, heavy.

I like the concept. As others stated, much smaller than I expected.
2 things I dislike

The funky shape of the trigger. The trigger looks half formed.

Higher price than what I figured MSRP would be. I was thinking $450 range.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Interesting range report about magazine issues.
https://thearmories.com/the-armories-media

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Well /\/\ THAT range report sure sounded like a solid "meh...." Smile

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
I like the looks of it. Kind of reminded me of the Wilson EDC X9 when I first saw it.

I agree, I have the EDC X9S (no rail) and it looks a lot like it. Micro compact 9mm SAO. Not a huge market to satisfy there. The advantage is S&W CSX is a heck of a lot more affordable than the Wilson X9S!

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post