SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Leaked new gun Smith & Wesson CSX
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leaked new gun Smith & Wesson CSX Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
So it's essentially a knockoff of the Sig P938

wich was a knock off of a Colt. More like a knock off of a 365 in SAO

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[quote=59yukon01;141349707] [/quote]

My buddy just told me about this gun a few hours ago. Checked some U-Tube reviews and liked what I saw.

Nagels Gun Shop in San Antonio, Texas, is sending me one as we speak. It will go well with my (in new condition) model 39-2 I just picked up.

I will let you know how it is when I get it. I was sold almost at once when I realized it ha an alloy frame instead of a poly material.

I have always liked my Sig SAS 238. Believe that this new S&W will be just as nice. Not giving up my first edition P365 though

Trooper Joe

Posts: 424 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
This review really has me interested in at least trying the new CSX. By far the best review I have seen about it. Trigger improved quite a bit as far as trigger weight after 500 rounds, lower "bore axis" than Shield Plus for those that care about that, and Looks like it might be big enough for full grip with 12 round magazine for many too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grumpy1,

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
The CSX is about the same size as the Shield Plus - same length, same height, same barrel length. CSX is 1.12" wide vs 1.1" and weighs 0.7 oz less than the Shield Plus.

Wouldn't it have made sense for the CSX and Shield Plus to use the same mags? That would have been a good selling point.

https://www.handgunhero.com/co...on-m-p-9-shield-plus

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
The CSX is about the same size as the Shield Plus - same length, same height, same barrel length. CSX is 1.12" wide vs 1.1" and weighs 0.7 oz less than the Shield Plus.

Wouldn't it have made sense for the CSX and Shield Plus to use the same mags? That would have been a good selling point.

https://www.handgunhero.com/co...on-m-p-9-shield-plus

It looks like the CSX with 12 round magazine is the same height as the Shield Plus with 10 round magazine but offers a full grip or very near fill grip in that height for most shooters. Smith and Wesson must have though it was worth designing a new magazine to do that. The CSX seems to more competitive in size to P365, Hellcat, etc than the Shield Plus. Reading posts on various forums it seems many buyers are concerned about 1/16 inch size difference in height dimension when comparing choices

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Handled one yesterday at a local store who is a S&W distributor. It feels alright in the hand, the trigger isn't all that bad, but i asked the clerk "Why didnt they make it in DA/SA?" factor in costing over 6 bills and i dont think i'll ever buy one, my P239 suits me fine.

Posts: 95 | Registered: October 21, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m.p.driver:
Handled one yesterday at a local store who is a S&W distributor. It feels alright in the hand, the trigger isn't all that bad, but i asked the clerk "Why didnt they make it in DA/SA?" factor in costing over 6 bills and i dont think i'll ever buy one, my P239 suits me fine.

This gun is an attempt to give those that prefer SAO operation a hi-cap micro-9 option. That's definitely not everybody but it's a real niche.

Hopefully Smith will come out with a micro-nine for the twenty people that still prefer DA/SA (joking).

We can expect the price of the CSX to drop slightly after the initial "early adopter/got to have the latest" phase is worked through.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked up my CSX at my transferring dealer yesterday. Looks real nice out of the box. Have not shot it yet but I have found a few issues:

1. Quite difficult to field strip. If you use the method suggested in the owners manual, it won’t take much to scratch the frame or right side safety. I came up with a way of using a wood cloths pin half and a small wood dowel to finish pushing the pin through that right side safety.

2. 12 round mag was very stiff but I was able to load all twelve using a loading tool.

3. 10 round mag has some real problems. At first I could only load 9 with great difficulty even using the loading tool. Then after several tries, I was finally able to load ten. However, the real kicker is that for some reason after 7 or more rounds are loaded in this magazine, it swells so much that you can hardly insert it in the gun. I have never had this happen in any other similar micro 9 mm (Sig 365, Ruger LCP Max). Took the mag apart and everything looked OK.

4. Both mags, when fully loaded, were almost impossible to insert into the gun with the slide closed. (I do remember one other brand auto loader that recommended to not insert a fully loaded magazine into the mag well with the bolt closed. If this is the case with the CSX, it should not be rated as having a 12 + 1, or 10 + 1 capacity.)

5. The 12 round mag also swelled when fully loaded but not quite as bad. It should be noted that when both mags were unloaded, they inserted in the mag well with no trouble. I left them both fully loaded last night to try and break in the mag spring a little. Hopefully, they will not take a permanent swell.

6. I next noticed that when I tried to engage the safety from the left side, it would not go on with the slide closed and the hammer either fully cocked to at rest. If I pushed on the safety assembly from the right side, I could then raise the safety to the “safe” position. I also noticed that if I pushed on the left side at the rear of a closed slide, the safety lever could be “snicked” into the raised, safe, position. It looks like the safety assembly is not wide enough to accommodate the side play in the slide to frame fit and it is catching on something internally. I suspect that this issue may go away as the gun wears in.

7. Another disappointment, is the interchangeable rear grip system. The smaller grip panel does not go forward enough to cover the indent in the grip area in the frame. When this smaller grip panel is installed, it looks like the gun is partially disassembled. Hopefully the aftermarket folks can come up with some better looking and functional grip panels for this gun.

ON THE PLUS SIDE

I am sure that S&W will resolve these issues.

In regards to the trigger, I really like it. On my gun it has a nice crisp let off even though it is about 5 pounds or so (I should soon receive a Lyman trigger gauge I ordered and I will check it again).

The sights are great for me (I don’t really care for night sights since I am pretty old school when we didn’t have them).

I like the way the gun feels in my hand and I am looking forward to some range time.

I am looking forward to other new owners reporting their experiences with this gun.

Posts: 424 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report.

When this came out I, like many people, had a WTF expression on my face. After seeing some reviews I'm amazed it's actually slightly smaller and lighter than a Shield Plus. I'd like to hold one. I have no issue with SAO and cocked and locked carry; as long as the thumb safety is easy to manipulate.

For me with my small carnie hands the 1911 safety placement is still the benchmark. I have tried the USP, the HK45, M&P with safety, p320 with MS. Besides the 1911 the Colt Mustang and the P365 are the ONLY manual safety pistols I can manipulate intuitively (frame mounted, I'm pretty good with the Beretta 92 and third gen Smiths).

Hopefully it works out for you.

ETA: the way the backstraps are replaced seems kind of...amateurish. A tiny little pin tool? Really?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
7. Another disappointment, is the interchangeable rear grip system. The smaller grip panel does not go forward enough to cover the indent in the grip area in the frame. When this smaller grip panel is installed, it looks like the gun is partially disassembled. Hopefully the aftermarket folks can come up with some better looking and functional grip panels for this gun.

Can you post a pic with the smaller grip panel installed?

rambo

Posts: 243 | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rambo:

rambo

Interested to see this as well. Sounds like S&W may have jumped the gun on releasing this one. The mag issues alone would be a deal breaker for me. It's too bad, really, because a flopped release could ruin the reputation of what, with proper development, could have been a really neat gun.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by rambo:

rambo

Interested to see this as well. Sounds like S&W may have jumped the gun on releasing this one. The mag issues alone would be a deal breaker for me. It's too bad, really, because a flopped release could ruin the reputation of what, with proper development, could have been a really neat gun.

There is something to be said for waiting for the 1.1 or 2.0 version of any new platform.

Hopefully Smith irons out the little issues we are reading about. I expect they will.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got one and I am going to shoot it this morning. Can't say how long i will last in the 28 degree temp but i will get some rounds thru it.
The in door range is being used for a class so i have to go out.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post