SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why are 2011 pistols so expensive?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are 2011 pistols so expensive? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neil0311:
I will admit I’m not an “old school gun guy” who grew up shooting 1911s with my dad in the back yard. In fact I got into firearms later in life.

I primarily have modern polymer handguns for carry and self defense (I carry a P365XL), but also have and enjoy larger pistols at the range. Recently got an M9 and love it. Accurate, fun to shoot, old school metal pistol designed in the 1970s.

Don’t have a 1911 but was considering a 2011. Why are they so outrageously expensive. Atlas, Staccato, etc…$2000-$6000. It’s a double stack polymer version of a gun that’s been around for 110 years. Why so much?

A 2011 is not a polymer frame in the way a Glock or P320. It's a machined steel frame with a polymer grip attached to it. All the critical tolerance areas of a 1911 (recoil seat, frame rails etc.) are part of the machined steel 2011 frame.

The 2011's you mentioned are both high quality guns which cost the same as equivalent quality 1911's.

A Stacatto is a duty grade gun, comparable to a Wilson CQB or a Springfield Professional model.

1911's are an old design from a time when manufacturing methods were based on machine time being expensive and skilled labor being cheap.

Beretta 92/M9 prices have remained flat for 25 or 30 years: 1) Designed in the 1970s around modern manufacturing methods; 2) Beretta has gotten very efficient at making M92's and 3) the tooling / production line cost for M92's have been paid off for ages.

If you just want a range toy / plinker 2011 RIA and BUL of Israel make cheaper 2011 style guns.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you just want a range toy / plinker 2011 RIA and BUL of Israel make cheaper 2011 style guns.

The RIA high capacity guns are directly descended from Para Ordnance, with the same one piece frame, enlarged from 1911 only as required to take the double column magazine... which is the same as PO.

The SDS series from Bul is a pretty good 2011 knockoff, we have a shooter who runs a high end SDS in USPSA. The double column magazines are not quite the same, though.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If the polymer grip frame is that big of an issue, They are also available in aluminum and stainless steel.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a chance to hold/stroke and trigger press an 9m Atlas Artemis Alpha (~$6.4k) which comes with one MBS mag and a 9m Staccato XL DPO (~$3.6k) which comes with 3 Mags. Both were very impressive. I didn't buy either but still considering.

Either one wouldn't improve my range/match performance but the itch would get scratched.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
(Came across this thread looking for Staccato comments here on SF...)

quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
A lot of praise for the DWX which was announced a year ago and has yet to show up?

Here we are in late 2021 and still no DWX - nor any hint as to when they might appear.

quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
The COVID excuse is getting a bit stale.

Well, DW is in NYS and NYS had (has?) Draconian CCCP Virus restrictions, but, yeah...

They could at least come out and say "Sorry, we haven't been able to execute on this because <reasons>. We're hoping to have better news somewhere around <date>." Instead they're leaving their potential customers wondering when, if ever, the thing will happen.

After fondling a TS 2, earlier today, I'm no so sure that's what I want, anymore, anyway. (Yes, I realize what the DWX is.) I've already got a couple range toys. I think I want something more oriented as a duty-type pistol with a nod to competition use. Something that more-closely resembles my carry 1911's.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
No excuse for Dan Wesson regarding their communication to customers interested in the DWX. It doesn't take much to address the general public and everyone understands how constrained supply chain issues are.

Meanwhile, Sig Marketing hasn't gotten off its ass either where the Sig P210 Carry is concerned and when we might see such (if ever).

It's like firearm marketing personnel are human resources alumni or something.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I figured I would have posted this back when this thread was first active, but I'll throw it in here now.

2011s are a product of the race gun world. As such they tend to be hand made by small boutique gun makers. So they're expensive. It would be interesting if one of the mass production 1911 manufacturers, of which there are a few (colt, Ruger, SIG, and even some of the cheaper foreign makers), made standard grade mass production 2011s. I wonder if there would be a market for a $750-1000 non-custom 2011?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
^^^ Dan Wesson must think so b/c the (hopefully not Tupperware) DWX is north of that price range.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's an ugly tax.

(1911 fan)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
I know the Staccato's are expensive but every Texas Ranger/US Marshal I meet seems to have one for what its worth.

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Those USMS and Rangers folks, are they carrying a Staccato P or C2?

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
And not a single pic in this thread. Frown

Say no more, fam. Cool

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice bag!

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
^^^

I got to run a handful of mags through one of those a few month ago.
Hands down, one of the best shooting pistols I've ever fired.
I'd have to win the lottery to afford one, but damn - they are amazing pistols.

Posts: 12540 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin228:
I know the Staccato's are expensive but every Texas Ranger/US Marshal I meet seems to have one for what its worth.

The only USMS personnel issued / authorized 2011s are members of their national SOG team.

Some Rangers (and other LE near STI / Stacatto) have been rocking 2011's since before STI became Stacatto. Of a dozen or so Ranger's I've worked with I've seen two carry 2011s. The rest are running 1911's.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I have the combat master and the the staccato xc. Both great purchases and worth every penny, IMO. You can tell the difference in quality when shooting, breaking down, etc. The felt recoil is amazingly light.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Staccato C2 DPO Tactical 9mm today. It's being shipped to my FFL. After it arrives at the FFL and I complete the 4473 and Washington State paperwork there is an up to 10 day wait.

Now the search for a holster or two.

Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:
quote:
Originally posted by Austin228:

The only USMS personnel issued / authorized 2011s are members of their national SOG team.

Some Rangers (and other LE near STI / Stacatto) have been rocking 2011's since before STI became Stacatto. Of a dozen or so Ranger's I've worked with I've seen two carry 2011s. The rest are running 1911's.

Part of my job I interact with USMS , they get sent to apprehend people who don't respond to certain actions I take in my job.

I honestly don't know enough about LE hierarchy to tell the difference between the USMS guarding the court(old guys) and the USMS that I "ask" to go out and get people.

Would those be SOG?

I think they might be according to what I'm reading about SOG.

I have definitely seen more than two Texas Rangers with them because I'm a big enough nerd to ask what they are carrying.

Living where I do and the work I do I am in contact with both groups pretty often.

I will neither confirm nor deny where I work but I wonder if I've met you ha.

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In your future Nerd discussions with them (USMS or Rangers), I'm curious to know what they are carrying them in (holsters). Thanks!

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
I have the combat master and the the staccato xc.

I would love to have a Staccato XC, but, at $4,200, before the optic, it's a bit >< outside my budget

quote:
You can tell the difference in quality when shooting, breaking down, etc.

Staccato's are beautifully-made. I have a Staccato R

It's easily right up there with my Sig P210A Target and Sig P229S in build quality. Slide is smooth as buttah, trigger is nothing short of terrific. Everything is just beautiful.

quote:
The felt recoil is amazingly light.

Somebody once referred to shooting one of the Staccato's as like shooting a "bullet hose." Smile The felt recoil, thus the shot-to-shot recovery time, is something you have to experience to believe.

Here's another, less well-known option: Cosaint Arms (It's pronounced "cho-sent." It's Gaelic. It means "defend" or "protect.") They'll build single- and double-stack 2011's and "2011-style" 1911's to order. Apparently with a mere two-week turn-around.

I'm seriously toying with the idea of ordering a single-stack Commander from them in either .45 ACP or 10mm.

Or you can always kick it up a notch: Atlas Gunworks Big Grin

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post