SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    It was Sigs, Glocks, then Berettas. I think I have the HK pistol bug now.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It was Sigs, Glocks, then Berettas. I think I have the HK pistol bug now. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
I've been enamored with the P30L for a bit now. I keep reading and seeing great stuff about them. Yesterday, I stopped by a few different shops and the last one had one each, used: P30L, VP9, and HK45 (the newer production with the updated gripframe).

My thoughts: The VP9 was surprisingly lighter than the P30L and the extra half inch in slide and barrel didn't seem like it was the reason. The trigger in the VP9 was very good, but I don't know that it was good enough for me to want to dump a whole variety of 9mm Glocks. The external safeties on the P30L and the HK45 did not bother me. The safety being a decocker on the 45 was nice, having the decocker button on the back of the slide with the P30L was weird, but I could get used to it. The HK45 was not as big in my hands as the feedback I've read led me to believe it would be. If anything, it could stand to be a bit wider from side-to-side for how tall it is. I'm not sure I could get that with the grip panels. I realize the P30L isn't really an "L," it's just a G17 in terms of dimensions and the P30 is a G45. I retired my 19's and 17's for a G45, so a P30 wouldn't be the end of the world. I need to get to a range and rent some HK's. I think I also need to try LEM, probably version 1.

Now, their prices weren't great. They wanted $650 for the 9's and $600 for the 45. Looking around, I see that's not far off new prices, and I recently saw a P30 here go for around $500, so I'll start looking at pricing.

The triggers in both the hammer fired guns were dogshit, full stop. Many pounds of heavy takeup and a mystery break. The shop just up the street from me has a P30L LTT I might take a look at today to see what I think of the trigger. If it's as good or better than the LTT parts-swapped trigger in my 92FS, I may be in trouble.

Feedback from HK fans? Things to know, things to note? Places to look for good prices and availability new? I'm assuming these pistols carry very well, they seem really light for what they are. I like that.

Posts: 17166 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Tramp. Razz

FWIW, P30 prices seem to go up and down to a surprising (to me) degree over time and across sellers. IMHO this is one situation where some degree of patience can pay off.

I kept looking at the P30SL, but the decocker and the trigger just don't light me up. YMM, of course, V.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
The triggers in both the hammer fired guns were dogshit, full stop.

Now that’s unfair. They really are only dog shit, not dog shit full stop. Smile

In all seriousness.
-HK triggers will never match a nice SIG or Beretta but they smooth out and lighten a bit over time. Think of them as an extra layer of safety. Smile
-The LEM triggers are super smooth and light but….weird. Love/hate thing for most folks
-The P30 you looked at was a P30S. Most P30’s don’t have a safety.
-The decocker on the rear of the DA/SA P30/P2000s is a little strange at first but I personally think works brilliantly in practice.
-If you are unfamiliar with paddle mag releases. Use your shooting trigger or social finger not your thumb. Again a love/hate thing but I far prefer them myself.
-The P30 has all the hammer fired mechanics so that will add some weight. That said the VP9 always FELT a little bit like a price point gun vs a build to a certain standard gun. (That may be the hammer fired guy in me talking and is a completely personal observation not a objective finding)
-VP9 triggers are generally very good. Better than Glock not as good as Walther strikers.
-HK makes guns and parts/mags in batches so if you decide on a gun buy when it’s available. Same with magazines as these can sometimes go from feast to famine to feast etc.
-The HK45 series is basically a USP on a diet. It can use any of the eleventy billion trigger and safety/decocker options the USP can.
-ALL HK’s are typically both tightly fitted and heavily sprung. Always clean and lube out of the box. Run them a bit wet early on and with the 9mm’s run a box or three of hotter and or heavier stuff before running 115 Grain powder puff stuff. You may even want to work the slide or leave the slide locked open before your first shooting. This may not be necessary in any way and in many cases isn’t but just doing it from the start may save you some headaches and consternation.
-No your HK pistol is not disintegrating. That plastic coming off the frame is flashing from the steel frame rails and will shed/wear off over time. Completely normal.
-Customer service these days is generally excellent. They may still hate you but at least they are hiding it more. Smile
-Don’t discount the P2000 series. Yes it’s the red headed step HK Smile but it really is an amazing hammer fired Glock 19/23 type gun. Very easy to go from range, to nightstand, to carry etc. it’s Goldilocks size and melted perfectly in the right places.
-The models with LE in the model number designate night sights and 3 mags.

As for prices and what not I would just hunt around. I will say that Top Gun Supply usually has a good stock and while not the cheapest option they are an amazing online retailer. (Not affiliated with them in any way. Just several very happy transactions with them)

All in all HK’s are fantastic defensive firearms and my favorite mostly due to the manual of arms and raw durability. That said just like you should NOT buy into Glock “perfection” don’t buy into the HK snobbery of they can do no wrong and are blessed on the backs of naked Tibetan virgins and if you have any complaints your just one of the poors etc. HK’s are excellent firearms but have just as many quirks and issues as any other quality brand.

Hope this helps.

NOTE - not a shot at Glocks. They are also excellent handguns. Just pointing out that there are lots of fanbois who buy into the marketing etc of both Glock and HK and refuse to accept that there are plenty of great options and as said above they ALL have their quirks.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7684 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
One more thing the LTT/gray guns trigger/short reset is pretty good again it’s still never gonna be a GREAT trigger but it is a nice improvement over stock.

-Now I did get a bad trigger from LTT and as frustrating as that was they answered all my emails damn near immediately, diagnosed, gave me a shipping label, fixed and returned in like a week total if that from start to finish. So props on how they handled things. I believe the Gray Guns flat trigger was out of spec.

Posts: 7684 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
kept looking at the P30SL, but the decocker and the trigger just don't light me up. YMM, of course, V.

Keep in mind this is the less common variation. Most often you will see DA/SA (v3) models without the safety and just the decocker. LEM models are available but I see those far less often in the P30 series.

Which reminds me in the P2000/P30 series V3 indicates DA/SA. In the USP/HK45 series V1 indicates this……..because……….HK Smile

posted Hide Post
My pair of P30's sport a Grayguns flat trigger, the GG short reset kit, Trijicon HD XR's, and a Talon grip. They are V1 which is HK for Light LEM.

I used to think LEM was an acquired taste. Now I think it is platform dependent. I am meh with LEM in a USPc but in the P30 I think it is the PERFECT duty style gun.

HK hammer guns benefit greatly from a lighter mainspring and the GG short reset kit. My USPc with that setup has jumped multiple slots in my mind, mostly from using a 5 dollar lighter mainspring although the short reset stuff helps too.

P30 V1 add GG parts and enjoy.

Posts: 7538 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you do not mind the paddle style mag release, there are NIB VP9s on gunbroker for around $500. H&K is running a rebate special for $100 rebate towards mag purchases, but that ends on 4/9.

Posts: 466 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Tramp. Razz

Guilty.

Big Grin

Oh, they also had a Walther CCP. I tried that out and hated the trigger. It was worse than the HK's.

I'm not responding to anything else yet, but I'm listening, and looking.

Posts: 17166 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a P30S this week and will be picking it up tomorrow. It will be my first HK so I will see how it goes. I’ve never even held one so it will be a new experience.

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I picked up a HK P30SKS recently and the trigger on that is better than my HK45C. I also have a USPc45. They are all good shooters.

Posts: 6622 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
My pair of P30's sport a Grayguns flat trigger, the GG short reset kit, Trijicon HD XR's, and a Talon grip. They are V1 which is HK for Light LEM.

I used to think LEM was an acquired taste. Now I think it is platform dependent. I am meh with LEM in a USPc but in the P30 I think it is the PERFECT duty style gun.

HK hammer guns benefit greatly from a lighter mainspring and the GG short reset kit. My USPc with that setup has jumped multiple slots in my mind, mostly from using a 5 dollar lighter mainspring although the short reset stuff helps too.

P30 V1 add GG parts and enjoy.

^^ This. I'm a fan of HK P30's in LEM (v1), not so much in DA/SA (v3). IMO it's an outstanding self defense trigger. I don't follow why LEM is so polarizing. If you're good with a DA/SA trigger and used to the transitions / difference between DA and SA then LEM shouldn't be a big deal. The safety aspect of LEM is based on retaining the longer trigger pull of DA but without the heavy weight. I don't think I've ever seen a post from someone who liked the stock DA weight of a P30. LEM is almost like an AR 2 stage trigger but with a much longer first stage.

Posts: 353 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I've been enamored with the P30L for a bit now.

I'm getting strong John Wick vibes. You should know that the next steps in the collection will require selling organs or small children.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1959 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't follow why LEM is so polarizing.

For me, and to be fair it’s been a long time since I’ve shot LEM, it had to do with the hammer movement on reset. Since the hammer is basically always at rest when off the trigger the hammer, obviously, comes back to that resting (precocked) position.

There was something about the way the trigger felt or the way the hammer moved that just bugged me.

Now as I’ve always said the LEM trigger is an excellent option that is well designed and safe. There is nothing inherently bad about it. It just somehow bugs the crap out of me shooting them.

Hard to put into words but most folks I have seen rarely fall into the meh camp and usually fall into they do or don’t like it without any middle ground.

I keep telling myself I’m going to convert an HK45C to give it the old college try again but haven’t gotten around to it.

Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
"If you're good with a DA/SA trigger and used to the transitions / difference between DA and SA then LEM shouldn't be a big deal."

This may be true, but I don't transition from one to the other. I carry cocked and locked and the LEM just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Posts: 6622 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I picked up a HL P30L--used-- light/laser included, tritium sites, multiple mags.
Trigger was bad, dogshit bad. GrayGuns Short reset, flat trigger and lighter trigger spring approaches really, really good in single action. I am considering a 10 lb hammer string to improve the double action pull. Go over to HKPro forum for more info. There is a detail sticky on how to strip a P30 over there.
The Hk 45 also benefits from the GrayGuns Short reset.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I like just about all of the HK DA/SA guns. I even like the P2000.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
HK Mag special is for these models only…
VP9, VP9L, VP9 Tactical, VP9 Match, VP9-B, Optic Ready, and distributor exclusive models. Purchase any new P2000 or P2000 SK from a CA dealer.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I really only enjoy the USP AND P2000.
I am not a finger groove kind of guy.
USP Compact 2 tone in .357 Sig is likely my favorite.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25430 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
My longest serving CCW over the last 32 years was an HK P2000. When you combine the time spent with a P2000 and P2000SK in both 357 Sig and 9mm it amounts to nearly half the time. I have had the 9mm 2000 and SK worked over by Gray Guns and the triggers are good. I have a USP9SD tactical with a match trigger which is also very nice but I can’t shoot it worth a crap. I dumped the HK45 Tactical as it never felt good in my hands. I had planned on getting a P30L, bought the magazines but never got around to buying the gun. I thought about a VP9 but went toward the P320 and already have a bunch of Glock pistols. The P2000 still shoots so well in my hands but the 365 with XL frame and 12 round magazines have replaced it for CCW.

I really like my HK guns and shoot them well. I don’t expect the triggers to be as nice as some of my Sigs or Cajun Gun Works CZ, but they are acceptable combat triggers.

Posts: 2961 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I was bitten by the HK bug a few years back as well and it has become worse lately. Love my P30L V3. It’s one of the most comfortable pistols I’ve ever held. I don’t mind the trigger, it’s fine and I don’t feel the need to change it—maybe because I can shoot it well stock.

In terms of price, I feel it’s very well priced considering HK’s USP line still brings in near and north of $1k and the P30L can be had for $650-$750 from what I’ve seen. Heck a Glock 34 Gen 5 MOS is just as much as the P30L. In the world of HK, it’s a bargain IMHO.

I like the decocker on the rear, it’s different though does feel unobtrusive and is quite ergonomic and functional. The classic Sig decocker will always reign supreme though to me.

The paddle controls are quite intuitive as well and they are less likely to engage and drop a mag when not intended, unlike all these extended button releases on so many pistols these days.

I remember John Wick being just as lethal with his P30L as his 2011’s. Jus sayin’

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post