SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Mods - please delete.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mods - please delete. Login/Join 
posted
I retract my story and comments. Just wanted to let people know of an issue I found out.
Let me just quote Pappabear from below:
"The 320 is a great gun, but if you fck with it, do so at your own peril because it’s not quite as plug and play as Sig might suggest."
Have a great day

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bufford,

Here there is no failure, only varied degrees of success!

Posts: 884 | Location: Carrollton, TX | Registered: August 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha ha ha. So just to be clear, you bought a grip module with a cutout for a safety and dropped in a fcu without a safety, Sig advises not to do so, it doesn’t work out well, and you are pissed at Sig. About cover it?

Dang dude. Have you ever looked at the fcu? It is a microcosm of tiny parts, pins and spring that yes, are held in place partly by the confines of the grip module.

It not working out well should not shock you. It certainly shouldn’t make you post a thread that most gun guys are going to say……, “what did you think would happen?” or “why did you buy the wrong grip module?”

Good news is that Sig will do just fine being short one “advocate”. Lol

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Sorry you've had a bad experience but these experiences don't sound like design flaws.

And why are these type posts starting to read like online recipes?

There is always a backstory now..."My first memory of Sig was when my Grandma cooked dinner every Sunday..."

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6238 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grandma did love her striker fired guns.As I slowly wipe a tear from my cheek..

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Not sure how to help you with that one...maybe pay attention when you take stuff apart so you don't lose parts?

I have a couple of FCUs with a lot of rounds through them. They have some loose pins. I just pay attention when I pull the FCU to make sure they don't fall out, make sure they're still there and properly seated when I put it back in the grip module, and function test before I load up to put it back in the holster. I clean my guns every time I shoot them, and as a result have one apart at least every week or so...it hasn't been a hardship for me.

Posts: 8393 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Once again, I am reminding members that when posting in threads such as this, it's important to take into account the frustration of the OP.

If it comes to a point where the gloves are off, you'll know it. Until then- manners, manners, manners.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107234 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let me understand that a pistol designed to move the FCU from one grip to another has a known issue of the trigger pin falling out??????

Manufacturing issue or modularity issue aside, the dude has a point. Sig has made its bones telling us how swappable the 320 line-up is. And it is, but sometimes...

Of course there is zero cool factor in telling your customers that sometimes when you're swapping thing A to thing B, shit's gonna fall off, and then your gun won't work.

For the record, I've had several 320s and have nothing against them.

Posts: 10725 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I hope the OP doesn't get a Ruger 10/22. While it is a great shooter, taking it apart for cleaning does have a lot pins that like to pop out if you are not careful...

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
Manufacturing issue or modularity issue aside, the dude has a point. Sig has made its bones telling us how swappable the 320 line-up is. And it is, but sometimes...
Agreed.

Not ever having experienced swapping my P320's FCU around, I was not aware of this issue. Now I am. But, I have to agree with the OP: A pistol that is touted to be modular, allegedly designed to swap bits around to re-configure, ought to be designed such that small bits don't tend wander away when you do that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25994 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
I hope the OP doesn't get a Ruger 10/22. While it is a great shooter, taking it apart for cleaning does have a lot pins that like to pop out if you are not careful...

Does Ruger make a big selling point out of how swappable the 10/22 internals are? If they did, I'd agree with you - and the same goes for the 228. The point is, Sig bragged about how interchangeable this pistol, in particular, is. But they don't expend much - if any - effort telling you that it may come unmanufactured when you do that.

I've swapped several FCUs and never had it happen, but the potential is there.

Posts: 10725 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I have multiple FCU's and have swapped them to different grip modules dozens of times and have never had an issue, ever.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
I have multiple FCU's and have swapped them to different grip modules dozens of times and have never had an issue, ever.

This

Posts: 416 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think everyone has made good points on this thread. And I too have multiple 320’s and my X5 is one of my favs. But newbies should all read this thread because it is filled with good advice and I think it goes like this.

The 320 is a great gun, but if you fck with it, do so at your own peril because it’s not quite as plug and play as Sig might suggest.

PB

Posts: 65 | Registered: November 27, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sounds right to me

Posts: 107234 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear the OPs frustration but I've not experienced this problem with my Wilson grip on a 5" 9mm.

When you incorporate factory and aftermarket parts there's always ifitting needed, including SIG.

From an engineering viewpoint, the 320 is designed for thier stacked tolerances.

I've watched 320s since inception. I haven't seen them tout interchangability with aftermarket parts.

DC

These posts are for fun, not work.

name at gmail for comms

Posts: 172 | Location: TN | Registered: January 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
I will agree the 320 has some fiddly parts, and yes some of the trigger pins are loose and can fall out.

With that, aside from the modularity of the 320, you still need to pay attention when changing parts, and FCU's from one frame to another. This is something that should be done when taking any firearm, or any item apart for that matter.

Just because the 320 is modular, doesn't mean you can just take it apart all willy nilly.
If that trigger pin got you confabulated, I would hate to have seen you remove the striker assembly from one.

Nothing wrong with moving on the CR platform, but to shun a particular product over your inability to monitor parts while you were servicing your 320, is just silly.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An fyi, some have had issues with removing the 365 fcu and having shit go wrong.

Not slamming the 365, I like it, but the potential is there.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
I like bacon cheeseburgers, fries and cold beer! If I put a fried egg on my bacon cheeseburger, sometimes the yoke runs. I sop it up with fries and wash it down with beer. I don't blame the runny yoke.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 320 is a great gun, but if you fck with it, do so at your own peril because it’s not quite as plug and play as Sig might suggest.

As was the P250, similar concept, albeit hammer fired, you could mess up the FCU and make the gun not run moving it from one frame to another.

Advice is, look to you tube for videos on how to disassemble, clean, reassemble any firearm, plenty of videos out there.

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It's with anything mechanical that's not inherently flawed. If you're not mechanically inclined, you're going to mess up somewhere along the way. If you're not familiar with it and just dive into it, same will happen. Give me the classic P-series SIG, and I'll work with it in my sleep. But, give me the P320, and I'll surely eff it up somehow. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26192 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post