SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Barsto P229 9mm Conversion barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barsto P229 9mm Conversion barrel Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
Thinking of getting 2 of these, the difference being.

Semi-custom fit
Custom fit

Seems the Custom fit would ideally be better, but that does mean added expense for more fitting required.

My question though, having never bought an aftermarket barrel that wasn't drop in, how much fitting it required. I'm not going to attempt it myself, but is this something any decent gunsmith can do or am I better served sending the pistol to a reputable gunsmith such as Mr. Burke or similar?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6298 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/1310072684

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1523 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Thank you, that thread was mostly semi-fir barrels it seemed, can I assume custom fit barrels will require more attention?

Posts: 6298 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I think I'm just overthinking it, a couple semi fit barrels and I should be good to go, don't think I need a fitted match barrel.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I had a semi-fit 9mm conversion barrel for my .40 P229. It dropped right in, no fitting required, and shot great. It did have a very short throat, and I had a few issues with some of my reloads that were a bit long (but worked fine in my other guns) getting stuck in the lands. Never had a problem with factory ammo, though, and later discovered that my Lee bullet seating die was backing itself out, which caused the over-length rounds. The Barsto barrel had a shorter throat than any of my other guns, so the problem became apparant in it first.

I didn't use it as much as I thought I would, converted the gun back to .40, and ended up selling the barrel to a member here. He reported that it dropped right into his gun with no fitting required as well. I think Barsto markets them as "semi-fit" just in case they need fitting, but most of them will drop in. From the research I did before buying, it looked like any fitting, if required, can be easily accomplished with a hand file.

Posts: 8522 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
You realize the semi-fit may require fitting anyways, yes? Mine did.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16302 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
You realize the semi-fit may require fitting anyways, yes? Mine did.

100%, was just thinking the match grade would be "better" as it would be 100% fit to the gun, but I'm not doing anything other than taking this to the range and letting my wife shoot a gun that should absorb a lot of 9mm recoil. Just a random addition to the collection I been wanting so rather than buy a new caliber ammo, I'll just get a 9mm barrel.

I was simply overthink, "best" vs my actual needs.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Placed an order for a semi-fit barsto barrel, I'll see how it goes before buying new springs.

I will however keep an eye out for 229-1 9mm mags.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
OK, just wanted to be sure. I actually wondered about the same thing. If I had known the barrel would require fitting (I had Bar-sto do it), I would have just purchased a full custom bbl. But maybe a semi-fit that needs fitting is the same as a full-fit? Don't know.

But, it's now all moot since I've discovered the new barrel tends to jam a lot (failure to go into battery). Maybe it just needs to be shot a lot more to break it in fully, but I decided it's not worth the risk on what might be a defense weapon. So I'm actually going back to the factory tube. Maybe I'll use the Bar-sto for just long distance shooting, not really sure.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16302 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Try using your .40 mags before you buy a bunch of 9mms. Mine fed 9mm fine from the .40 mags...I only shot it in 9mm on the range though. I wouldn't carry it for self-defense like that....not that it ever gave me any reason not to trust it, but I feel more comfortable carrying it in the caliber it was designed for. I also ran a .40 recoil spring with no problems.

Posts: 8522 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Custom fit means you have to have it made to fit YOUR GUN. Semi fit "may" drop in. I bought one of the semi fit and it took quite a bit of work to get it to fit. Use the correct mags if you don't want issues. Not worth the risk of gun not working when needed.

Jeeps...guns...German Shepherds!

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 29, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I think we're all clear on what "custom fit" means. The OP's question was should fitting be required, how involved is it? The answer of course, it depends. Some drop in without fitting, some require a little fitting, and others such as the above example need a lot.

OP decided to go for the semi-fit, so best of luck and let us know how it goes.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
I purchased a Bar-Sto conversion bbl for my 229 some time ago. I have many Bar-Sto bbls over the years, and pleased with them.

My semi-dropin bbl did require a little bit of file work, but it was minimal. It locks up tight, and shoots better than I can. I did not change my recoil spring or my 40 mags as they perform 100% for me........just a bbl change, and you are ready to go.

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought a semi fit 229 conversion barrel 8 or 9 years ago. Dropped into multiple P229 40/357 with no issues. Accuracy was equal to SIG factory guns. I bought a 9mm recoil sling and mags but never needed them. Gun worked fine with the 40 cal spring and mags.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post