SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock Gen 5 vs earler Gens
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock Gen 5 vs earler Gens Login/Join 
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it's just my guns, but my Gen5 19 and 48 have the strongest and most consistent ejection pattern of all my other Glocks, and I have Gen 2,3,4s.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found this very interesting from Small Arms Solutions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw631u5rC2w

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
It still seems like an odd claim inferring that earlier gens were problematic.
Well, it's simply not true, as those who shoot Glocks know very well.

One thing I do not like about the latest generation Glocks is the grip texture. I love Glock's RTF2 frame treatment but in the long run, those tiny little plastic spikes that make up the grip texture are just too fragile; banging up against them or abrading them, the grip texture starts to smooth out.
So, Glock changed the grip texture beginning on the gen4 and I hate it. My gen5 Glocks have Talon Grip appliques. That rough, sandpapery texture makes all the difference for me.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I do know that there’s an issue with some of the early Gen 2 19’s with frame cracking. We had a forum member here, I forget who, went looking for one. It was brought up in the thread where he said he wanted a Gen 2 19, and unfortunately for him, the pistol he wound up buying eventually developed this problem. This was a couple years ago.

I have two Gen 2 19’s, and both have the fix that Glock implemented to prevent this, some holes drilled down into the top of the frame near the locking block. But this is a problem that’s been fixed for over twenty years and didn’t affect a lot of pistols.

Posts: 17122 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Yup, LOL indeed.

Then I shouldn't tell you that the Glock 45 Auto and 10mm are easy to convert to .38 Super.

So I have to ask how do you convert them? I wouldn't mind converting my G29. Where do you get the parts?

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

One thing I do not like about the latest generation Glocks is the grip texture. I love Glock's RTF2 frame treatment but in the long run, those tiny little plastic spikes that make up the grip texture are just too fragile; banging up against them or abrading them, the grip texture starts to smooth out.
So, Glock changed the grip texture beginning on the gen4 and I hate it. My gen5 Glocks have Talon Grip appliques. That rough, sandpapery texture makes all the difference for me.

Which style are you using? I just shot my new Gen 5 G19 for the first time and the gun moves a little too much in my hand for my liking. I think this might be the answer and reading the site I think either rubber-black or pro looks best but I’m interested in any input.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I use the "black granulate" texture. I started out with the rubber Talon Grip. This is a definite improvement, but I got out with my Glocks one day on a really hot range and found that I was having a hard time controlling my pistols with sweaty hands. The sandpaper texture of the black granulate Talon Grip solved that problem.

Here's the rubber texture- very comfortable for me when my hands are dry, but too slick when my hands are wet.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Gen 5's "Marksman" barrel is supposedly a little more accurate than the earlier type. People's experiences seem to vary on that point, though.

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Para.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried to like the previous Gen Glocks but the 5s are what sold me. I carry the Gen 5 19 often, but get the later one without the cutout at the front of the magwell. And the Gen 5 Glock 34 is a wonderful thing. So much so that I have two. An early one with the cutout, not really noticeable on the full size frame and a later one with the front serrations. Might do the Carry Optics thing on one of them.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before the 5th gen pistols, I never could really warm up to Glocks in general. They just did not feel right in my hand. The Gen5 models changes that as the finger groves are gone and the grip just felt natural to me. I sold all but one of my Sigs and went to the dark side.

Posts: 535 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed, Para and gordynismo.

The regular rubber Talon grips are nice, but too slick for hard use. I moved from the regular ones to the "Pro" grips and prefer the Pros greatly, as they're a perfect mix of the granulate and the regular rubber ones.

And yes, the Gen 5 pistols fixed nearly all of my gripes about Glock. After reading jljones post on the LAPD thread about the G19 I had to talk myself down from running out and grabbing a MOS version...though what made that easy, is the fact you can't find a blue label G19 MOS anywhere nowadays.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post