SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock Gen 5 vs earler Gens
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock Gen 5 vs earler Gens Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking for a Glock 17, might settle for a 19.

I keep reading from posters on another Forum how much better the Gen 5 is, especialy in the area of reliability.

I've got three Glocks, a 42, 43 and 43X, and have had every Glock, I think, except the 10mm, since 1988 (IIRC) and have never found them to be at all unreliable.

Is there really any difference in reliability between the 5 and previous Generations?

Lastly, if not, is there any significant reason to pick the Gen5 over a previous model?

Thank you,

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Any firearm manufacturer can occasionally turn out a problem child, but if you've been satisfied with the reliability of your other Glocks, I think that pretty much answers that question.

As to other reasons, if you've been bothered by the "Glock grip angle" issue then the gen 5 (or gen 4) might be an improvement. But again, if you've owned that many other Glocks, it probably isn't an issue for you. It was for me (having grown up with 1911s), but many other people love Glocks and aren't bothered by the grip angle.

I think there are some other internal changes in the gen 5, but not being a Glock guy I can't enumerate or speak to them. I'm sure somebody else will, though.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned Gen 3's and Gen 4's only and never had any problems with any of them.
I'm like you and have owned most all of the Glocks except for the 45 Gap models. All were reliable.
I do prefer the Gen 4's personally because of the grip. Gen 3 was a bit big for my hands.
I think it boils down to personal preference and if you like the Gen 5's, run with it.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies. I forgot, I've never had a GAP, either, kinda forgot they ever existed.

The grip angle never bothered me at all, and 1911s were one of the first handguns I "owned" back in the service.

I think I'll go ahead and post a WTB in our Classifieds and see if anyone has a 17 they'd like to sell.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
So you haven't got a 10mm?

That is the only problem I can think of. Wink

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL!

(Always wanted to use LOL, never had the opportunity. Thanks!)

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a Gen 3 G26 that has been flawless over years of carry and thousands of rounds. I'm not sure how you can get more reliable than that. My FIL has a Gen 5 G19, and it's a nice gun, but I don't feel that it does anything substantially better than my Gen 3. I'd say if you hate the finger grooves, go with the Gen 5. If they don't bother you, the Gen 3 and 4 guns will serve you just fine.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yup, LOL indeed.

Then I shouldn't tell you that the Glock 45 Auto and 10mm are easy to convert to .38 Super.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found the triggers on the Gen 5 guns to be the most consistent. I also like the DLC finish.

Otherwise they're really all good.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AZnine
posted Hide Post
Reliability same on all generations. Some prefer the Gen 5 because the stock trigger out of the box is a little better. Gen 5 Glock triggers are a little different in the internals.

Posts: 163 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: June 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't see it being specifically more reliable but then again I don't have an issue with the other gens. The trigger return spring is different but I do not believe the 1-4 was problematic and if you hold the trigger back the damn things will cycle without the spring in the gun anyways. I like the new trigger pull but I wouldnt specifically sell my 4s to run out and get 5s. If I was in the market for a new one I would however likely pick up a 5.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
For a bit more money get a Shodow Systems MR920. For the money they are better than a stock Glock.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may check with one of our LGSs tomorrow and see if they have a 5.

Again, thanks for the info.

Uhhhh, no 38 super-went thru that phase 30+years ago with the IPSC crowd.

posted Hide Post
I currently have a Gen 5 along with Gen 4's and 3's. I honestly can't anyone of them is more reliable than the others.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a 3rd Gen 19 that has been so good I treated myself to a Gen 5 19. Outa the box my Gen 5 is more accurate off the bench and feeds what ever is in the mag. Only thing I've replaced is the stock trigger shoe because it hurts my tender little sissy finger!I'd buy another Gen 5 in a heart beat.

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gen5s more reliable? From one perspective I guess that it's true. Gen5s at least so far have come to market with very little melodrama. No drop safe issues. No peening barrels. No dead triggers. Typical Glock boring. Except it's not always "Glock boring". The first Gen4 9mms had their share of histrionics centered around the badly spec'd RSA originally designed for the Gen4 .40s and stupidly transplanted into the then-new 9mms, likely without adequate testing to see if they really do work. So far the Gen5s have avoided those kinds of embarrassing dilemmas. So from that perspective, I guess that the Gen5s have been "more reliable".

But over the course of developing each of the earlier Gen Glocks, any early design hiccups got worked out and the guns became the cliché 'Glock reliable'. When compared to those later guns, the reliability of the Gen5s are no better (or worse, for that matter). They're just developments from the earlier guns, even though there ARE notable changes inside.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Reliability is the same. A Glock works. It’s reliable.

Durability might be the word you are looking for. The gen 5 on paper should be more durable and longer lasting between breakages as it now uses coil springs for the trigger return, slide stop, and slide lock. The previous springs were much more prone to breakage.

The gen 5 dual recoil spring is way more durable than the gen 3 spring, having a service life about 3 times as long.

Get what you want. A Glock is a Glock.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had Glocks from gen2 to gen5, reliability will depend on how your pistol is maintained. I have had issues with Glocks and my tools are very well maintained, the problem can come from some people that like to tinker with them and that is when problems start more than anything else. its matter of preference that is what it boils down to, check a gen5 and see how you like it. rent one and see you you like it and go from there, what is good for you may not be good for me but Glock is a good tool as long as you take care of it.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone told me recently that an acquaintance of his shoots a Glock 17 in competition. He has logged the round count at 88,000 (at last count!) and no problems so far. He changes springs every 3-5 thousand rounds. Now, THAT says a lot!!!

Posts: 2011 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As pointed out in other posts, a Blue Label is available to veterans and first responders. A 17 or 19 costs 425 plus sales tax under this program. If there are no dealers in your area, Keisler's will ship one to your local dealer. At current prices, that may be a better deal than used if you qualify.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post