SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Cerekote a P239 slide?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cerekote a P239 slide? Login/Join 
posted
I inadvertently bought a P239 on GB. I have one already but that's another story.

I'd like to make the slide look stainless or maybe dark grey.

Any suggestions? Which Cerekote number/finish.

Chris

Chris
Faith, Family, Charity

Posts: 45 | Location: Austin | Registered: January 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CCR's tritanium cera-hide, or CP-2.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
I like CCRs work also

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
+1
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
CCR's tritanium cera-hide, or CP-2.

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the slide *is* stainless, why not have it bead blasted for the natural look?

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I agree, if the slide is stainless then have them bead blast it.... then if the lower is black have them put the coating on that. I have one like this... that I carry but the coating on the lower is starting to rub off.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the inputs. I've used CCR in the past. Got good results and fair pricing. Bead blasting sounds like it might be better. I'll have to think on it.

I appreciate all the support!

Chris
Faith, Family, Charity

Posts: 45 | Location: Austin | Registered: January 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an alternative, consider Cera-Hide. I've been very happy with the results on my P226.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
CCR's tritanium cerahide kind of looks like burnt bronze.

my P229 in tritanium

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I've bead blasted various stainless pistols and slides, to include a couple of SIG stainless slides. Where possible, I much prefer a natural stainless finish with nothing to wear off, over most plated or sprayed-on finishes. One exception I might make, is for hard chrome. HC, is simply the hardest, most durable finish I've ever had on a pistol. FWIW, for a fine finish with a slight sheen, the Brownell's 270+ glass beads do a beautiful job. For a much grayer/darker finish, I've used aluminum oxide. A commercial refinishing outfit should be able to duplicate this with whatever blast media they prefer in the different grades.

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
CCR did a great job on my old carry P220 slide with their CP-II finish. This is very much like the old Robar NP3 as you can almost go oil free. In high dust/sand environments this is a bonus and the finish is so slippery that it is easier to clean

There is very little that looks closer to stainless than Industrial Hard Chrome. Plus it is VERY Corrosion resistant. Acurate Plating and Weaponry is who I have always used for this finish.

I have had them do several pistols for me going back a couple of decades

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
All good stuff here, whichever way you go, CCR does great work.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in the bead blast camp. I have a P239, P226 and P229 that were done by Sig.

EDITED: Forgot to mention that I also have two P320 slides I sent to Sig for bead blasting. P320 Compact and Full Size.

Bead blasting looks better in person than in photos. It actually has very, very light gray appearance rather than a shiny silver look. No glare in sunlight either.

Reasonably priced and durable. I would prefer a natural finish rather than an additive type.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nipper,

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of great comments, thank you. I received the pistol an hour ago and there isn't a mark on it. I mean just like new! It's been fired by a look down the barrel, but otherwise it's look straight from the factory.

I think I'm going to leave this one alone and re-look the older one in my safe for a slide redo.

Chris
Faith, Family, Charity

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I bought this one from a fellow member here a few years back... this is bead blasted slide and CCR's coating on the lower.

Now for full disclosure... this is what it looks like after carrying it in a leather holster for a year:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
Blume9mm
If I am correct. We have only bead blasted a Sig 230 Stainless for you. That you bought from the Sig Forum and that we donated the refinishing too

The picture you posted of that Sig p239 looks like it has gotten wet or there was moister or sweat then put in a leather holster to cause the rust I do not believe that we have ever worked on that gun

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CCR,

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
To be totally up front I can't swear that is CCR's coating on the lower of the pistol You are right in that y'all have only bead blasted a pistol for me... actually you did coat some magazines for me at the same time. The pistol above I purchased from a fellow member here who had purchased it a month before from another member (yes I know) and that person said it had your coating on it. I am perfectly happy with the pistol and have no problems with your service, I think it is great and even if 'water' did take some of the coating off... this pistol has been worn and rode hard and if any water got on it that water had a lot of salt in it from me.... for good or bad, I'm tough on guns.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And you wonder why I've put my foot in your ass in this forum, more than once.

First you accuse CCR of shoddy work, then you say "Oh, I'm not sure CCR did the coating."

What is wrong with you, huh? You're screwing with someone's livelihood.

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
I've bead blasted various stainless pistols and slides, to include a couple of SIG stainless slides. Where possible, I much prefer a natural stainless finish with nothing to wear off, over most plated or sprayed-on finishes. One exception I might make, is for hard chrome. HC, is simply the hardest, most durable finish I've ever had on a pistol. FWIW, for a fine finish with a slight sheen, the Brownell's 270+ glass beads do a beautiful job. For a much grayer/darker finish, I've used aluminum oxide. A commercial refinishing outfit should be able to duplicate this with whatever blast media they prefer in the different grades.

Good advice.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I did not accuse CCR of shoddy work.... I showed a pistol and pictures of it and I'm pretty sure it is their coating... but I think they do great work. It is nice to have a perfect pistol with out a nick or a scratch on it... I actually have one,(just one) the P230 I bought here at auction and CCR prettied up... it has sat in my safe from the day it arrived and I take it out every once and a while for a few minutes to admire it. My other pistols get used and the one I pictured above has been well used. By most of y'alls standards probably abused even.
A lot of times in the summer it is sitting in a leather holster with some 'salt water' coating the gun..(old fat man syndrome) water and salt will eat anything even stainless steel. Once again, I did not mean to criticize CCR... I am very pleased with the work they did... and I probably need to send them some more to make up for any implication I made otherwise.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"