SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help me choose a micro nine
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me choose a micro nine Login/Join 
posted
I'm in the market for one of the double stack, high capacity micro nines. I already have a P365, so that leaves the SA Hellcat, Ruger Max 9, S&W Shield plus and Taurus GX4, unless I've forgot some. Who has hands on experience with them and what are your opinions? Thanks.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
You have a P365, so you already have a micro 9. What would you want out of a different one?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I can't help you, because I would suggest getting another P365. Seriously, the P365 works perfectly for me, there are no good reasons for me to stray. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26405 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Oh, and absolutely stay away from the Taurus GX4, unless you want to beta test and blow your balls off. Lol.

Q

Posts: 26405 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its like when someone has a G19 but they still want another similar sized pistol. Sometimes you just want some variety.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Hmm...variety? OK, get a 365XL.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My buddy got a Hellcat and liked it so much he sold me one of his P365s. Handled his Hellcat when I picked up the P365 and I gotta say it was just as nice as the SIG. A couple weeks later we went to the range and I tried shooting it. Very similar to the SIG, up until the trigger wouldn’t move. I hadn’t heard of the issue, so I was dumbfounded. He informed me some had reported lateral pressure on the trigger could prevent the dingus from retracting before contacting the frame. I have big hands and learned to shoot DA, so I’m sure there some influence there.

He hasn’t had it happen to him, but it did happen a few times for me.

So although I’d never buy any SAI product, I will give them credit for a nice pistol, but one I wouldn’t trust my life to.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Hellcat and am content with it except that the trigger (or the safety arm within the trigger aggravates my trigger finger. Apparently when firing the bottom of the trigger safety bar pinches the lower side of my fingertip. The original baby Ruger, the LC9 did the same thing to me.

The P365 is a much better choice for me. No experience with the other candidates.

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only one I carry is a Beretta APX Carry. Has been dead nuts reliable. It is accurate. It has a decent striker fire trigger. A great little gun. You can get them at a decent price as well.

Well, never mind. You said a double stack. Disregard my suggestion. It is a single stack. Comes a/ two mags. One flush fitting 6 round mag and a on extended 8 round mag.

Posts: 4059 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
simple and logical answer, at least for me, get another P365

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
The new S&W Shield Plus 2.0 now has the best factory striker-fired trigger on the market IMHO. It's superior to that found on the HK VP9SK and the Walther PPQ. While I'm still not a fan of the thin grip, someone with small or small-medium sized hands would probably feel quite comfortable with it.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd finish out the 365 collection and then maybe add a Max 9 to the mix, if it interests me after handling one.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only micro 9 that I ever shot well was a P365. My CW9 was just as accurate, but a single stack. They both shot like full size guns, with great triggers. Only gripe with my P365, was the bulls eye sight, should have bought the standard sight version.

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No love for the P938? It's single stack. All metal. Accurate as any of my guns. Easily concealable. Holds 8+1 with 8-round Kimber Micro9 mags.

Posts: 39 | Location: Center of U.S.A. | Registered: June 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shield Plus; to me it's a clearly better shooter than the P365. Only downside to me is that it gives up some size to the SIG, so pocketability isn't really an option like it is for me with the 365. I have two standard sized P365s and I do like the SIG, but the shootability of the Shield+ is just that much more superior. The Shield is already a very proven platform, only that the Plus has a slightly wider and more confidence-inspiring grip along with the reconfigured DS magazine. To me it's much more satisfying and well fitted in hand than the earlier Shields. If I had to concede something, it's still on the slender side even with my small hands (my primary excuse for having never bought the original or 2.0 Shields) but honestly that thinness was never a real hindrance when it counted at the range.

With a properly tuned trigger (usually involving someone like Apex), I've always shot the original and 2.0 Shields relatively well. I have several friends and coworkers who swear by those guns, and after shooting their Shields on many occasions I can easily understand why. But from the first time I got the chance to shoot the new S&W, it was plain to me that the Shield+ doesn't need any aftermarket help to be a great shooter. Sure its trigger could be tweaked a bit but right out of the box I shoot it better than I did my 365s or my G43/43X in their factory setups. Kudos to S&W for getting this one damn near spot-on right out of the box. It may not be quite as small as the original P365, but what it gives up in size it more than makes up for in its shooting prowess.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have a Hellcat bought new. It works great the only thing I didn't like was the feel of the trigger. When Apex had one on sale I bought it, put it in and problem solved. I use it for my EDC.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magazines and holsters are expensive. Id get another P365 variant as well, X, XL maybe an optic.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Doesn't meet your criteria, but, given my new-found love of the 1911 platform, I'm finding myself developing a serious hankerin' for a Kimber Micro 9 Razz

I don't understand why some of you keep suggesting he get another P365. He's clearly, repeatedly expressed an interest in trying something different.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
The new S&W Shield Plus 2.0 now has the best factory striker-fired trigger on the market IMHO. It's superior to that found on the HK VP9SK and the Walther PPQ.

That's a mighty bold statement. I'll have to check it out first chance I get.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
IMO it depends on your hand/finger size though you might just want to get the XL frame for your P365 to start with.

The Shield Plus looks very nice for those of us who want a slightly bigger grip circumference/front to back wise. I have not tried one yet but it is on my list of those to try.

For now I am still using my original Walther PPS and hoping that Walther and/or HK come out with something soon and I understand HK has something in the works and I bet Walther does too. Word is that it would be next to impossible to create such in Germany due to restrictive laws for exporting micro size pistols but both HK and Walther have plants in USA now.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post