SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Breaking in Shadow Systems MR920
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breaking in Shadow Systems MR920 Login/Join 
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted
I have been running a new MR920 at the range and attempting to get it broken in over the past few weeks. SS says a 200 round break in should be expected. I am currently up to 365 rounds through the gun and had about a half dozen FTFs in the last 165 rounds. A quick tap to the back of the slide returns it to battery. I really like shooting this gun(points more naturally), though IMO my Gen 5 Glocks have a better triggers out of the box. All the ammo run through this gun has been Blazer brass 115gr with the exception of 50 rounds of Blazer brass 124gr. The fit is incredibly tight so I’m not overly concerned yet about reliability especially since the the CCI Blazer isn’t the best ammo in the world. My plan from here is to run the next 300 rounds using Winchester 124gr NATO ammo. I’m hoping the added power of the NATO rounds produces the reliability I expect from this platform. I was all set to add another SS gun to my collection but the issues breaking in this gun has now given me pause. Anyone else have one of these that took more than 200 rounds to get functioning? Any other suggestions to get this gun functioning are welcome.

DK

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
I have been running a new MR920 at the range and attempting to get it broken in over the past few weeks. SS says a 200 round break in should be expected. I am currently up to 365 rounds through the gun and had about a half dozen FTFs in the last 165 rounds. A quick tap to the back of the slide returns it to battery. I really like shooting this gun(points more naturally), though IMO my Gen 5 Glocks have a better triggers out of the box. All the ammo run through this gun has been Blazer brass 115gr with the exception of 50 rounds of Blazer brass 124gr. The fit is incredibly tight so I’m not overly concerned yet about reliability especially since the the CCI Blazer isn’t the best ammo in the world. My plan from here is to run the next 300 rounds using Winchester 124gr NATO ammo. I’m hoping the added power of the NATO rounds produces the reliability I expect from this platform. I was all set to add another SS gun to my collection but the issues breaking in this gun has now given me pause. Anyone else have one of these that took more than 200 rounds to get functioning? Any other suggestions to get this gun functioning are welcome.

DK

I'd reach out to Shadow Systems directly. I've heard of other people having issues and they like to address them.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shot recommended amount of rounds through MR920 and could never get through a single mag without stovepipes. Disassembly was a chore, and the gun felt weird in my hands, totally lacked any beveling. I have 2 Glocks Gen 5, and felt this was an ugly duckling. After calling the company several times (no one responding) and emailing, got a very dumb response in 3 weeks saying describe what problems you are having. Duh, I described everything in my previous emails. Sold the thing then and there.

Posts: 287 | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Lots of terrible reviews for this gun. It’s not ready for prime time.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
My MR920 has been perfect. I've owned it less than a year. I've had 3 range sessions with it, and my brother has had a single range session with it. Around 600-700rds total with zero malfunctions, and frankly it shoots much better than my Gen5 Glock 19.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your issues. Before I fire a new gun, I clean and lube it. That way I’m starting the break in on a “blank canvas”.

I used 124 grain NATO for the 200 round break in as it runs a little hotter than run of the mill ammo and I stock it deep.

Not one hiccup. I used a mix of PMAGs and different Glock mags (15rd, 17rd & 24rd). I am using strictly Glock mags in it now out of an abundance of caution and I have lots of them.

I think you need hotter ammo. Also keep track of which mags this occurs in. Like some have indicated, a talk with SS might be helpful. Best wishes in resolving the issue.

Posts: 28 | Location: FL | Registered: February 19, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, here is some additional information. I clean, lube, and inspect every new gun before I take it to the range. I only use Glock Gen 5 mags in this gun and the rest of my Glock guns. I shoot this gun better than my Glocks and about as well as my p320s. I’m leaning toward the ammo being the issue combined with a very tight lock up. I’ve had tight 1911s that were similar through the first 500 rounds that now run perfectly. My plan is to run 300 rounds of NATO ammo through it and see where I’m at. I had worse issues with a Gen 4 Glock getting it to run, so not giving up just yet. As a side note, almost all of my shooting with this gun has been draw and fire drills, so I have used these “failures to return to battery” as a training opportunity.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I have 3 SS 920’s. An XR920 elite, an MR920 combat and just picked up a DR920c (comp)
They have all been tighter than my Glocks initially but have smoothed out and function perfectly. Now I do have well over 1000 rounds though the first two and about 300 rounds of 124 and 115 ball through the MR920c. All function excellent. The comp gun is fantastic for playing on the range.
So far I am a big fan. I use the Lucas lube and have only cleaned each of the first two guns twice.

I haven’t shot any of my Glocks this year since getting the 920’s.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Maybe run a box of +P JHP through it. See if that helps?

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have a light on the gun? If so, which one?

The Gen 3 Glocks, which I believe the Shadow Systems guns are based on, often had reliability issues with weapon mounted lights. It was most prevalent in .40 and with lights with a metal clamp system like the TLR-1, but not unheard of in 9mm. Part of the fix was the 11 coil magazine spring.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
No light on the weapon and I too use Lucas oil on the gun.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Not speaking specifically to the Shadow Systems guns as I have no experience here but maybe try the following.

-Leave the mags loaded.
-work the gun via dry fire and full slide movement whenever and however much you can. (Sit in front of the tv and work the slide etc. )
-when you put the gun away leave it locked back.
-Run it fairly wet.
-Make sure you have a light coat of oil on the …. The…. Gah this is the one gun part I always draw a blank on (the long stainless rail in the center of the inside of the slide that pushes rounds out of the magazine.). The silver thingamapusher I think that is the technical term. Frown
-run +p and or heavy for caliber stuff through it for a box or three.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I would also try using the PMAGs that are normally OEM-supplied by SS to see if they perform any differently. There could be the possibility that the tolerances of this not-quite-Glock is such that the original Gen5 Glock mags aren't "in spec" with your pistol.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If issues continue I would try to send it back, I had a DR920 that I put about 400 rds through without a malfunction. The concept is great but I tried some trigger mods and it didn't work out, I really liked the ergonomics and how light it is but I didn't feel comfortable with the trigger not been as versatile as Glock. So back to Glock for me.

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I had similar problems with a brand new MR920 last week. Couldn't get through a single mag without a failure to battery. After about 300 rounds, the problem seemed to correct. No issues last 4 or 5 mags. Cleaned, lubed and taking out again this week or next. Will report back.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I have a DR920p and a MR920L. Both have been flawless for me, and fit me much nicer than a stock Glock. I echo the "use G3 mag/Pmag" advice as the G5 Glock is just that slightly different enough that might be causing this.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Shadow Systems handguns have been excellent for me, I have three.. MR920, MR920L and a CR920. One or two hiccups in the first few rounds for two of them and then smooth sailing. I’m not a Glock fan and was hesitant to try one but I’m sold now. There are enough small changes that “remove” what I disliked about Glocks.

Also as mentioned, stop using Glock mags. SS has a YouTube channel that they put up videos on, Tuesday’s I think. One of them mentions this.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Seems odd that they would release, essentially, a Glock clone that won’t run reliably with factory Glock mags. I would have assumed part of the draw would have been the ubiquitous nature of Glock magazine in a pistol that negates some of the Glock down sides. I have NO shadow systems experience so I might be way off base here.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Seems odd that they would release, essentially, a Glock clone that won’t run reliably with factory Glock mags. I would have assumed part of the draw would have been the ubiquitous nature of Glock magazine in a pistol that negates some of the Glock down sides. I have NO shadow systems experience so I might be way off base here.

They use Magpul mags for two reasons according to SS. The thicker base pad is easily grabbed with the magwell installed, and the base pad is easier to remove for maintenance than Glock mags. The Glock magazines work absolutely fine in the SS guns. The gun is sprung tight, with tight tolerances and the issue is most likely weak ammo not sending the slide far enough back to reliably grab the next round. In fact, the slide is picking up the round between the rim and the case. Blazer ammo is notoriously weak and something I wouldn’t have used pre-pandemic. I will try hotter nato ammo this weekend and try a slightly weaker recoil spring if the better ammo doesn’t resolve the issue.

posted Hide Post
Lawman 115 gr worked for me in MR920 with standard Glock mags, but up to a point where ejected casings started to reliably hit me in the face, LOL.

This gun has the same problem the Gen 4 G19 had. Plus, the slide sits too tight on the rails, plus the springs are all over the optimum, so as a result it needs a long break-in. I quickly decided why bother and reverted to G19 Gen 5, lived happily ever after.

Posts: 287 | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post