SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Kriss Sphinx SDP Compact: Anyone shooting one these days?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kriss Sphinx SDP Compact: Anyone shooting one these days? Login/Join 
posted
If you are, or have had experience with one, how do you like it? It seems like this is the only version available now. There was a lengthy thread on the Subcompact a couple of years ago but I've heard nothing about the Compact.

Posts: 2012 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
I currently have one. These are very nice pistols. Very accurate and tightly fitted. Like a Swiss Watch. Wink

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4836 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I have a SDP Compact & SDP Duty, both w/ full aluminum alloy frame. I've never spent more than $1K on a handgun, so my Sphinxes are what I consider my nice guns. I rate them higher than my P-classics if you consider that an endorsement.

The SDP Compact Alpha has a hybrid aluminum & polymer frame and costs less. If the difference between an Alpha and all-metal SDP isn't too much, get the all-metal.

I've seen new & used Sphinx SDPs in the $750-900 range recently. IMHO, that's a relative bargain, considering Legions are well over $1K, and run-of-the-mill CZ SP-01s cost in the $700-800 range.

The following threads are worth reading through for more opinions on Sphinx:

sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...0601935/m/8730031474

sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...0601935/m/9480033473

Posts: 3189 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember when those things were all the rage. I ordered a Duotone and even sent MississippiGal a check, but they stopped importing them and I never ended up with the gun (and Donna is a gem and did not cash the check of course).

Posts: 5166 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had my SDP Compact for about year and I really like mine.It seems to be very high quality construction and very accurate.
I worried a bit when I heard they were discontinued but I got mine at a good price and have been very pleased with it.

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, the Sphinx is one of the best CZ clones out there and are very well built. The ones produced in Switzerland are the most sought after, but even those produced after production was moved to the US are fantastic pistols.
I have a SDP Duty version and love it.
I could never understand why Kriss hasn't supported the Sphinx more than it has. They have wittled down the offerings quite a bit from what they were and even did away with the subcompact version completely. At the time Kriss said they were cutting back on production of the Sphinx because the Kriss Vector was selling well and they wanted to devote their manufacturing capacity to keeping up with demand for the Vector.
I've been looking for a subcompact, but since they are no longer being built, used ones are next to impossible to find.
Parts can be a little difficult to locate, but some CZ parts are interchangeable. If you want a quality, well built pistol I would go for it.

Posts: 105 | Registered: November 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sphinx is back!

https://phx.swiss/index.php?id=14

Imported by the Attic in the U.S.

Posts: 62 | Registered: January 02, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
The prices on those Phoenix AG pistols make the Kriss Sphinx SDPs look like they're for poors.

I know someone who put down a deposit on a Fusion when Phoenix quoted him $1100. Almost a year later, it's finally made, but they told him, "Sorry, price is $1500 now."

Posts: 3189 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All things suggest these are outstanding.
I tried and tried to get a subcompact a few years ago, and when I kept striking out, just sent a couple PCR's and P01's to CGW for their magic (to keep their CGW'd 75BD brother company).
I think it was probably a better choice. But for anyone who has both a Sphinx SDP Compact and a PCR or P01 tricked out by CGW or CZ Custom -- how do they compare?

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what people think, very few stock guns expensive or not, compare favorably to one that has been worked over by a pro. There are exceptions but I would bet a case of your favorite that one of these stock doesn’t have nearly as nice a trigger as a full up CGW/CZC trigger job. No way.

It is like the discussion of the 3500 dollar Manhurins. We all are going to pretend that the trigger from the factory is better than one that a true pro worked over. “Oh, but it has adjustment screws!” Silly nonsense. I have an old S&W 65 3 inch gun that the owner had fitted with adjustable sights and a black blade up front, it originally was a fixed sight version. He also had the action done. I’ve pulled a lot of triggers over the decades and never met a DA trigger that beat this one. It’s perfect. You just can’t beat a professional at the top of his game doing a solid action job.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
I tried and tried to get a subcompact a few years ago, and when I kept striking out, just sent a couple PCR's and P01's to CGW for their magic (to keep their CGW'd 75BD brother company).
I think it was probably a better choice. But for anyone who has both a Sphinx SDP Compact and a PCR or P01 tricked out by CGW or CZ Custom -- how do they compare?

I've got a SDP Subcompact Alpha and a CGW "Cajunized" CZ PCR. The Sphinx was a well constructed pistol that needed additional parts (i.e.: replacement front sights to properly regulate point of aim to match point of impact), and good customer support which NEVER arrived in the U.S. The CZ is a well priced, basic platform that can be transformed into an incredible CCW choice by Cajun Gun Works or CZ Custom. I'm sooooo glad that I elected to have my CZ PCR worked on my CGW and if I'd known how well they do their "thing" and what great support they provide their customers, I'd have never bothered with the Sphinx. The headaches just weren't worth it.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10209 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:

I've got a SDP Subcompact Alpha and a CGW "Cajunized" CZ PCR. The Sphinx was a well constructed pistol that needed additional parts (i.e.: replacement front sights to properly regulate point of aim to match point of impact), and good customer support which NEVER arrived in the U.S. The CZ is a well priced, basic platform that can be transformed into an incredible CCW choice by Cajun Gun Works or CZ Custom. I'm sooooo glad that I elected to have my CZ PCR worked on my CGW and if I'd known how well they do their "thing" and what great support they provide their customers, I'd have never bothered with the Sphinx. The headaches just weren't worth it.

Thank you. That was the kind of perspective I was asking about.
It does seem like it is hard to beat a CGW'd PCR with colorful grips for practicality, reliability, accuracy, and pride of ownership. And, my, CGW is just a pleasure to work with and give one's money to.
Besides those "pesky" little things like sights and customer support, how did your SDP shoot for you? Any benefits over the CGW'd PCR? My sense is that a tricked out PCR/P01 is absolutely a better choice for real every day use, but curious if the SDP had any advantages as a range toy?
Those are beautiful grips on your PCR. Are those LOK? What color, texture, etc?

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can’t answer your last question but I can tell you what I did. On my PCR I had CGW send me a pro package but told them I would be using it as a Kadet conversion mule as well as a 9mm. If you do that they send a heavier mainspring and slightly shorten the extended firing pin. Supposedly the lighter extended fp with a heavier mainspring can pierce primers. You end up with slightly heavier DA pull but the ability to put Kadet conversion on top and enjoy 22 matches.

I like Kadets so much my PCR pretty much stays that way and leaves my P01’s for 9mm use.

Kadets are easily the best conversion unit for these types of guns. The Sig/Beretta conversions are pot metal junk compared to a Kadet.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post