SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swiss Precision and superb value for $800....Sphinx SDP Login/Join 
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted
Recently I had the opportunity to shoot a Sphinx SDP Compact. This gun just blew me away with it's out of the box factory match trigger (real match trigger) and superb accuracy. I decided to purchase one, but went with the subcompact instead. Finally, I made it to my dealer to pick it up today after having it sit there all week.

I'm not surprised as to how well this one is built, or how it feels. When I look at all the $800+ guns on the market, some I personally own, none compare to this firearm. Absolutely, positively, NO MIM parts....NONE. You can tell there is a lot of handwork in the fitting of these guns before they leave the factory. Sphinx makes it clear they are assembled and fitted by master gunsmiths. It shows.

The gun is not overly tight to where I can't get things to function right out of the box, but still tight to where you know tolerances are small and it's a precision piece. No slop anywhere. Where you can really see it is in the operation of the decocking mechanism. Distinct 2 stages with solid precise clicks. I haven't seen that in any other gun.

The trigger is something that almost all will not feel the need to touch. It truly is a match trigger. As Prefontaine has mentioned in his review of this gun maybe a 2 lb less hammer spring would make it perfect, but as it is, it's still a little jewel,....smooth and precise pull in double action. Very predictable.

Single action....this is where this gun really leaves other production guns in the dust, and yes, I've handled a whole bunch over almost 40 years of buying and shooting handguns.....MANY. This is without a doubt, the best single action trigger right out of the box I've ever handled. Short sweet reset with no real detectable creep. Very precise and you know exactly when it's going to release. It's amazing to me to have this right from the factory on a production gun. All this and I haven't even cleaned it or shot it yet.....straight out of the box. I'm certain it will get even sweeter after having shot it some.

Everything internally is of course, first class as can be seen in Prefontaine's review, which I won't duplicate with pics here. Here is his review here so you can look at his great pictures: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...650017373#6650017373

Hopefully in the next week or so I'll get this thing out on the range, but I don't anticipate any issues. Going through all the non firing function checks convinces me of that, but it won't be used until then.

As far as holsters, I know they are already coming out on the market, but my Andrews Leather McDaniel holster made for a HK USP fits it just fine.

I have to admit, loving my HKs and older Sigs, putting this gun next to them makes it very apparent all the attention to detail this gun has and what it gives for the same amount of money or less. This gun is worth the asking price...even at full retail IMO, although they can be had for a little under retail. Sphinx has a winner....enough of one to where I will most likely start carrying this. First 9mm for EDC in almost 20 years of carrying 357 Sig exclusively. I will still carry 357 Sig too. Smile

Next up....a Compact in either all steel, or with an all aluminum frame. Cool

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Watchful Guardian
Picture of badkarma56
posted Hide Post
Good deal, dude. Glad you like it. Wink

-BK

"If it's all the same to you, I'd really prefer to visit the range."

Posts: 7980 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Wait until you see your groups. The reset is absolutely superb.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
Shooting the compact is what really woke me up to this gun. Getting great groups was pretty much effortless. I don't anticipate this Subcompact disappointing me. I know yours didn't disappoint you.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Knowing your taste in guns Tundra, this is going to have to be one that I try out. Thanks for the heads up as these were not on my radar previously.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How does the size of the Sphinx compact compare to a Glock 19? And the Sphinx subcompact to a G26 or something similar?

Thanks, this sure has my interest.

Posts: 694 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nmsu:
How does the size of the Sphinx compact compare to a Glock 19? And the Sphinx subcompact to a G26 or something similar?

Thanks, this sure has my interest.

Prefontaine does a direct comparison to the G19. Click on this link:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...650017373#6650017373

For me, it's right between the HKP2000 and the P2000SK in size. Nice place to be.

Sphinx Sub Compact Sphinx:

L: 6.55 inches
W: 1.22 inches
H: 4.97 inches

HK P2000:

L: 6.85
W: 1.37
H: 5.07

P2000SK:

L: 6.4
W: 1.27
H: 4.5

Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:
Knowing your taste in guns Tundra, this is going to have to be one that I try out. Thanks for the heads up as these were not on my radar previously.

Thanks. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I know a few members here recently ordered their Sphinx handguns. Waiting to see their input as well.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tundrav84wd:
quote:

Thanks. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I know a few members here recently ordered their Sphinx handguns. Waiting to see their input as well.

Yes, according to an email I received, you've started a nasty trend. I beleive my reply was something to the effect of "damn it, Tundra has good taste too, they must be nice"

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
Originally posted by tundrav84wd:
quote:

Yes, according to an email I received, you've started a nasty trend. I beleive my reply was something to the effect of "damn it, Tundra has good taste too, they must be nice"

Thanks. It's been a long time since I've been this enthusiastic about a gun and what it gives you for your dollar.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Man, that looks nice. Cool
Tundra, is the frame a 2-piece construction? Looks to me like the grip and the trigger guard are a continuous structure, and the upper part of the frame is somehow mated to it?

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Patriot_1776
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty interesting. I was poking around to see on the availability of additional mags, etc - do you have a source?

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1616 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patriot_1776:
Looks pretty interesting. I was poking around to see on the availability of additional mags, etc - do you have a source?

Yes I do. Email me if you need any. They come in batches and go pretty quick as of now. My understanding is the CZ 75 compact mags will also fit the gun, but haven't confirmed it myself.

Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Man, that looks nice. Cool
Tundra, is the frame a 2-piece construction? Looks to me like the grip and the trigger guard are a continuous structure, and the upper part of the frame is somehow mated to it?

Thanks. Yes, it's a modular set up. The grip/trigger guard are one piece. The ones on the subcompact are polymer only. The compact and full sized can be polymer, aluminum, or steel/stainless steel. The upper frame is aluminum on the subcompacts, but can be aluminum, steel / stainless steel on the other guns. I think their intent is in the future to allow the user to configure their guns differently if desired. That's the feeling I've gotten from all I've read.

posted Hide Post
I might have missed it, but do the mags interchange?

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hlb14:

My understanding is that the mags will interchange between the Sphinx line where applicable. I've got a CZ compact mag on the way to check if it works on the subcompact.

Human, All
Too Human
posted Hide Post
Good stuff. I bought a subcompact too, largely based on my love of CZ pistols, and Prefontaine's review. Hoping it'll get here in the next couple days so I can give it a spin. Your pics and review have me even a bit more anxious!

I bought a few extra mags from Cornerstone Arms in CO. Sounds like they had a few in stock at the time. Shipping was really fast. They definitely have strong interest in these new Sphinx pistols too. I'll probably be ordering a Compact from there soon. Owners name is Brent if you're looking for things Sphinx.

Posts: 978 | Location: Ohio | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why do I have to be Mr. Pink?
Picture of Jagman
posted Hide Post
Wow! Very impressive!

Posts: 3734 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: March 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hlb14:

Yes they do as far as the Sphinx line. I bought a few compact mags with my subcompact and they work 100%. Kriss states they all interchange so you'll be able to run the 17 round standard mags (full size) in the subcompact with no issue.

Sounds like Tundra will know if CZ mags will work soon enough.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Picked up my SubCompact today (Prefontaine’s thread put me over the edge and Tundra reinforced my decision). Took it to the range and, as expected, performed flawlessly. I’m very pleased with the trigger and the accuracy, couldn’t be happier. I’m thinking the Compact will be joining its little brother very soon.

Also, I took along a CZ PCR mag and SP 01 mag to see if they’re interchangeable. The fit and function of both was fine. It’s just that they both stick out the bottom of the grip, even the PCR. It would be nice if XGrip would make a spacer for them, but I doubt there would be enough demand for them to tool up. The PCR mags at Greg Cote are $20. Here’s a couple of photos with the CZ mags:

PCR Mag

SP01 Mag

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post