SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Zev OZ9 hyper comp
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zev OZ9 hyper comp Login/Join 
posted
Would you buy an OZ9 hyper comp?

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
No.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I handled one. It is very nicely made, good looking gun. It is wildly overpriced for what it is. No I wouldn’t buy one, but if you gift me one I will shoot it and post pics.

Posts: 7327 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
No.

Yes..................................................I agree. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26186 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had to go look that pistol up as I've never heard of that model. I've seen other Zev offerings but not this one.
That's a pretty steep price tag for starters. I know, it's not my money.
I personally wouldn't buy one but if you got the money and the itch, go for it.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
No. It's just an expensive Glock.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I went looking for one yesterday and instead they shoved a Walther Q5 Match and CZ TS2 at me and I was just blown away by these.

They had the CZECHMATE, but I found the TS2 a bit more for my liking.

Heck they had these Canik target pistols based off the Walther for under $500. I'm picking up a couple for our SigShoots so everyone can shoot target guns.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34072 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
Not even at half the list price.

Dave

Posts: 467 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

IT’S NOT A GLOCK!

I wouldn’t buy a Zev. Not that there’s anything wrong with them but I can’t personally justify the price over a “regular” gun. I trust factory Glocks 1000 percent so I stick with what I trust. A Zev might be just as reliable but I don’t have the trust in one that I have in other guns.

Posts: 1511 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Extensive research studies have suggested that most Zev OZ9 hyper comp owners spend more time holding them in front of a mirror than they do shooting them.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, holding my J frame in front of the mirror is how I discovered it was sparking. lol

Posts: 7327 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Well, holding my J frame in front of the mirror is how I discovered it was sparking. lol

Big Grin

Holding my J frame under a bright light is how I discovered it was rusting. Wink

-- George Orwell

posted Hide Post
Not this again.

It's a cool gun but grossly overpriced.

Posts: 2750 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
What do you want out of it?

My understanding of porting is that it reduces muzzle flip but at the expense of lower muzzle velocity. The gun gets dirty around where the ports expel gas, so I would expect the top of the Hyper-Comp slide to get dirty quickly. If you run a RDS, that dirt might get blown back on your optic.

If you want to experiment w/ compensation, a threaded barrel & comp are a lot less expensive than the Hyper-Comp and don't reduce muzzle velocity. You do have to deal w/ added length & weight though.

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16602 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True, we don’t need to rehash this again. Lol. So in that vein I have a serious question.

The front sight is dovetailed longitudinally into the barrel ala CZ style. On CZ’s though they have a set screw. By CZ style I mean the same way but in the slide not the barrel. Anybody else think this is a potentially poor way to secure that sight? Obviously I do.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
The front sight is dovetailed longitudinally into the barrel ala CZ style. On CZ’s though they have a set screw. By CZ style I mean the same way but in the slide not the barrel. Anybody else think this is a potentially poor way to secure that sight? Obviously I do.

https://www.zevtechnologies.co...-Slide-Bronze-Barrel

The slide has a top channel cut-out that extends to the front of the barrel opening, allowing the front sight to be pinned directly to the barrel, making it easier to track the sight during recoil as it does not reciprocate with the slide. This unique ported barrel design allows for easy barrel disassembly for cleaning and maintenance that compensated guns typically need, without having to remove a compensator

Pretty sure the front sight is not going anywhere. As for if I would buy, I love the concept but Zev quality control has been hit or miss. I would need to try before I buy.

Posts: 4120 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
I don't get see the draw. I'm seeing reviews of these expensive Glock clones that have less than stellar reliability. As one reviewer stated, if he wanted an unreliable Glock clone, he'd build one himself.

If you don't like a Glock grip or whatever, get a Walther, Sig or something else.

To me reliability is job one, I'll make the rest work for me.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

Bait taken

Posts: 5291 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok pinned. Pinned how? Vertically has to be a no so it's pinned horizontally. How thick is this barrel that you have room to cut a dovetail and pin it? This seems wonky as hell to me. It also seems like you aren’t ever changing that front sight. Ever. Needlessly complicated for arguably no gain. And it has to be a big reason for that ridiculous price tag. They did it this way because it LOOKS cool. That’s it. It isn’t any more effective than normal porting. It’s for show. Which is why I will never own one, not because I can’t afford one but because I’m not a sucker.