SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any love for Von Stavenhagen sights?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any love for Von Stavenhagen sights? Login/Join 
Picture of iron chef
posted
Any love for Von Stavenhagen, aka bar-dot, aka i-dot, aka old style Sig contrast sights? In my experience w/ different sights, they work best for me. I got a Canik TP9SA this past weekend that has 3-dot sights, but the rear sight also has a vertical bar in-between the two dots. The bar seemed to help me more than standard 3-dots alone.

I had a gun w/ XS Big Dot. I could make it work, but I didn't like it as much, b/c you can't align the top of the front and rear sights. I thought they were good for close, rapid fire, but not so good if you're aiming for tight groups.

Does Sig make a Von Stavenhagen rear sight for the P320? I compared against my P228, and the rear sights don't look intercompatible.

I know bar-dot fans like myself are a very small minority. What are the supposed disadvantages of Von Stavenhagens?

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Much love. The only disadvantage I can see is that it's as difficult as all get out to create a night-visible version of the setup. I'm all for redundancy where it poses no real burden, but Von Stavenhagens and a light on the rail are enough to make me happy.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any love for Von Stavenhagen sights?

Yes. Smile

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
My favorite.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I was going to say this.

Before the proliferation of tritium night sights, Bar Dot was fine. But it's easier to do a three dot Tritium vs bar dot, and the tail ended up wagging the dog, in that the popularity of three dot tritium night sights ended up increasing the popularity of plain three dot sights.

quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Much love. The only disadvantage I can see is that it's as difficult as all get out to create a night-visible version of the setup. I'm all for redundancy where it poses no real burden, but Von Stavenhagens and a light on the rail are enough to make me happy.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo: The only disadvantage I can see is that it's as difficult as all get out to create a night-visible version of the setup.

It's not quite the same, but the Ameriglo iDot is pretty close and works for me.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
My favorite.

Mine as well.

Someone needs to get these manufactured again.

Not iDots, not straight-8s, but the real, exact same bar-dot sights that SIG used to make. I'd buy at least one other pair for my current and future SIGs....more if they made others to fit different pistols as well.

Regarding a night-sight version, you could just use a tritium vial for the front, and then a square vial for the rear, yes? Or does tritium only come in "round". Wink

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah. It's why I like and prefer straight-8 sights as much as I do.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Regarding a night-sight version, you could just use a tritium vial for the front, and then a square vial for the rear, yes? Or does tritium only come in "round". Wink

I'm afraid that with my vision they're all kinda round and fuzzy. I still think the "fuzzy dot on a fuzzy popsicle stick" would work for me, though.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My favorite.

Yes, Bar on the rear with the front replaced with a Sig TFO. This is the setup on my X5 Tactical.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jwk226
posted Hide Post
Yes! I like ‘em the best! I wish all my Sigs had them installed.

Posts: 63 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Absolutely my favorite. Smile

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Love them. I had them on my first P229 and then searched out an older P226 since I like them better than 3 dots.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
Big fan. I keep the rear but replace the front with a mepro night sight

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:Regarding a night-sight version, you could just use a tritium vial for the front, and then a square vial for the rear, yes? Or does tritium only come in "round".

The rear gets mounted across the slide so it forms a line rather than a square. You still get the same effect.

This is a crock product but you get the idea: https://shop.opticsplanet.com/...2w7dhtgaAsMEEALw_wcB

Posts: 117 | Registered: February 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Indeed I do. My two favorite sigs still have them.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, I pick up the sight picture quickly with these bar/dot sights, and they go with SIGs like peas and carrots.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite, as well - especially with aging eyes. I would buy more of these for other guns if a good version was available.

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Much preferred to any 3 dot picture

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Big fan of them here. I actually prefer them to any other sight setup although I do like the Glock dot and goal post outline as a close second. Not that fond of three dot sights in general but as long as I can get a good physical sight alignment, I tend to ignore the rear dots and focus on sight outline alignment and the front dot.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post