SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What In The World Is SIG Thinking? 'Limited Run' Of M-17 320s For Civilian Market
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What In The World Is SIG Thinking? 'Limited Run' Of M-17 320s For Civilian Market Login/Join 
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
What’s SIG got to lose?

Glock has been doing well selling the 19X so SIG wants to do the same.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8042 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Glock is claiming sales of 100,000 G19X's in six months, which apparently exceeded expectations.

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcba_joe
posted Hide Post
I put a deposit down on the commercial variant. I wanted a collector version for personal reasons, but I can't justify that kind of cash for internal coating, and military markings.

My guess is when production catches up to military demand in a few years and engineering changes are made and finalized, they'll make the M17 as issued a catalog item.

We've already been told that they're most likely change the controls to black. I suspect they'll make some other small changes over the next few years like Beretta did.

Then you'll be able to buy a military version M17 that isn't limited, while this initial collectors run will be collectable as a first run first gen and the same as issued to 101AB and 1st SFAB.

Look at the various stages of the MK25 and P226 "Navy" over the years.

quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
How many M11-A1s, the civilian version of a gun the military NEVER BOUGHT, did they sell. At least the US Army did actually buy this.

Pseudo/insta-collectibles have always been a part of the gun market. And, really, there's nothing wrong with it, as long as people realize what they're getting.

My BIL was a pilot and carried a M11-228. So I do believe the military, at some point(s), did buy and issue M11's.

The M11 (P228) was issued. The M11A1 was a P229 that SIG tried to get the military to pick up since they don't make the P228 and they have a hard time maintaining them for the military.

I suspect most sales of the M11A1 were due to wanting a P229 without a rail, not because "but the military uses it". (which they don't).

Posts: 195 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
We're STILL talking about this?

It's all about the Benjamins, baby. 'Military' editions will sell, because peoples jus' luv that kind of sheeeit. Beretta was mighty happy with all of the M9s and M9A1s that us civilians bought by the truckload. SIG knows that.

HOWEVER, the landscape of production has changed since page 1 of this thread. It's called The P365 Effect and the lack of production of THAT particular financial dynamo. SIG would be doing themselves much better on their bottom line if they focused on doubling their current production output of that model. Demand for specialty, limited edition runs of what the Army uses will always be there. But folks looking to replace their Shields and G43s and and J-frames and a whole host of others with a better option? Beware the competition and what THEY might come forward with and combat your mighty 'gun of the moment'. The limelight is NOW, before S&W, Walther, Glock and all the rest figure out their own "365 killers". Low production numbers (relatively speaking) for a gun that directly addresses a HUGE market segment (small, comfort-driven conceal carry) is a recipe for leaving a LOT of money on the table. None of the competition is throwing up their hands and saying "I quit. SIG wins.". Every one of them is saying "How do we kick SIG's ass?"

M-17/18/19.375/etc. special editions doesn't come close to addressing that significant wart.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Excellent. I'm buying two, since I know I can't cobble together an M17 out of x-change kits and an MA-compliant 320C for less than MSRP, much less street.

And kudos to SIG for selling the gun and the collector's case separately. I'm going to shoot these, I have no need for a $200 display case. Most other "collector's editions" come with that chinsey bullshit rolled up in the purchase price.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heck, I'm sure that H&K could sell a "Jack Bauer" edition P30 (from the "24" TV series) Big Grin

posted Hide Post
If its marked the same as the Gov gun I will buy one , but if its not then I will pass .I have a Master Dealer near me and will be watching for them to get some .

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dawes:
Heck, I'm sure that H&K could sell a "Jack Bauer" edition P30 (from the "24" TV series) Big Grin

I wonder how many HK P30Ls John Wick sold? Then he changed over to a Glock 34 how many of those did he sell, even though the one in the movie was custom.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triaxle:
If its marked the same as the Gov gun I will buy one , but if its not then I will pass .I have a Master Dealer near me and will be watching for them to get some .

The Commemorative will have the US markings, coatings, FDE controls and the UID but the "commercial" will not.
The commercial will also have black controls which I think is a lame move by Sig.

I placed my order for the commemorative with Osage today. Sig has them priced high but I've wanted a correct M17 for a while.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3609 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to SIG's advertisement, the M17's currently being shipped to the Army have black controls. Not sure at what point they made the change.

https://www.sigsauer.com/press...e-commercial-market/

Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Why not just buy a MA Compliant P320? Since it won't have the fancy internal coatings and such.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
quote:

I wonder how many HK P30Ls John Wick sold? Then he changed over to a Glock 34 how many of those did he sell, even though the one in the movie was custom.

How many Beretta 92’s did John McClain sell?

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15260 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't Mel Gibson in "Lethal Weapon" kind of put the spotlight on the Beretta 92?

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Didn't Mel Gibson in "Lethal Weapon" kind of put the spotlight on the Beretta 92?

Yeah, maybe you are right. I was a little young when those movies came out to think about the gun used. I always think of Die Hard when I think of the 92 and movies but you could be right that Lethal Weapon was the larger influence.

Nobody sold Glock Sevens like Die Hard 2 though. Too bad I can’t afford one because they cost, well, you know...

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15260 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to SIG's advertisement, the M17's currently being shipped to the Army have black controls. Not sure at what point they made the change.

They likely produce and ship with whatever they have on hand - black or FDE.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
Folks bought rainbow titanium diamond plate engraved tribal platinum equinox versions of SIG pistols over the years. They will buy these. Especially if they are perceived to be collectible.

Thank God they did. SIGARMS was a month away from bankruptcy, failing to sell those nice, safe, boring German Classic Line pistols so many here pine for.

Ron’s focus on Rainbow Titanium Diamond Plate P238’s and enhanced, limited-run variants of commercially clapped-out Classic models, which so many here love to hate, allowed him to build SIG SAUER into the world’s leading high end maker in just 14 years.

Just a reminder.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
You really think that is how it works RHINOWSO?

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

Posts: 1925 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
Folks bought rainbow titanium diamond plate engraved tribal platinum equinox versions of SIG pistols over the years. They will buy these. Especially if they are perceived to be collectible.

Thank God they did. SIGARMS was a month away from bankruptcy, failing to sell those nice, safe, boring German Classic Line pistols so many here pine for.

Ron’s focus on Rainbow Titanium Diamond Plate P238’s and enhanced, limited-run variants of commercially clapped-out Classic models, which so many here love to hate, allowed him to build SIG SAUER into the world’s leading high end maker in just 14 years.

Just a reminder.

-Bruce

Thanks for that glimpse behind the curtain. You raise a great point.

Posts: 4598 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's official Dance Professor
Picture of SRA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Away:
You really think that is how it works RHINOWSO?

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

Does anyone know why they made the change from FDE to black controls? It seems odd.

My Fifteen Seconds of Fame

Posts: 3212 | Location: Utah, United States | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went Sat to my master dealer to get one , and non are out yet . I was hoping they might of got some first , but I came home with some 50 rd boxes of Fed HST 40 cal 180 for 15 a box .

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post