SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 Variants
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 Variants Login/Join 
posted
?Does anyone know whether a P220 was ever made in .38 Super. ?Is that something one can modify a regular barrel to (or 9X23). ?Does Sig make a barrel for that model in one of those calibres.

Posts: 75 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: August 30, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The P220 in .38 Super was made years ago, along its .45 ACP and 9mm Para brethren.

Check the serial number thread here, https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/1810019194

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
They were chambered in .38 Super.

If you are wanting to convert it to 9x23 Largo, a custom barrel would be required. The cartridge dimensions vary just enough for them to not be interchangeable.

9mm Steyr is also a factory 9x23 offering if it can be found.

If you are looking for a way to convert it to 9x23 Winchester, I would express caution as I'm not sure a conversion barrel would adequately operate at 55,000 psi.

The highest current offering would be the 10mm at 37,500 psi.

Best I can tell, there were nine different calibers:

45 Auto. (most all of 'em)
10mm (common)
38 Super (common)
9mm Para (common)
7.65mm (somewhat rare)
9mm Luger (somewhat rare)
22lr (rareish)
9x21 (rare)
9mm Steyr (rare)

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Best I can tell, there were nine different calibers:

45 Auto. (most all of 'em)
10mm (common)
38 Super (common)
9mm Para (common)
7.65mm (somewhat rare)
9mm Luger (somewhat rare)
22lr (rareish)
9x21 (rare)
9mm Steyr (rare)

9mm Para vs 9mm Luger is a distinction without a difference, unless you're purely interested in collecting rollmarks. It's the same cartridge...Just sayin' Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

9mm Para vs 9mm Luger is a distinction without a difference, unless you're purely interested in collecting rollmarks. It's the same cartridge...Just sayin' Wink

Yeah,

I was trying to quantify 'common' from 'somewhat rare' as listed.

Now if I had split the European 22lr from the American 22lr...

FWIW, I also have all of the calibers of the P226. Big Grin

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
As has already been stated, there are 38SUPER P220s

Mine is from the Mid 90s. I am the second owner having bought it 25+ years ago

If in your question about 9x23 you are asking about 9x23 Winchester.

NO an alloy framed P220 should NEVER fire any 9x23 Winchester ammunition in it

If you choose to convert a Stainless P220 to 9x23 Winchester I am sure it would be safe, especially if you used one of the 5" Match Elite P220s.

38SUPER has a SAAMI max pressure limit of 36,500 PSI while 9x23 Wincehster has a SAAMI max pressure limit of 55,000 PSI

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen. I was abit surprised by the 9X23 comments as I have two Colt 1911 Supers, but on reflection they are both IPS race guns,complete with all the geegaws. Theyshoot hand loads in the 55k range. But they’re specialty guns I should have known better.

I have yet to see a Super offered though I admit to not looking very hard.

Posts: 75 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: August 30, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Devereaux:
Thank you gentlemen. I was abit surprised by the 9X23 comments as I have two Colt 1911 Supers, but on reflection they are both IPS race guns,complete with all the geegaws. Theyshoot hand loads in the 55k range. But they’re specialty guns I should have known better.

The P220 design is not the issue, the alloy frame is. If you wanted to setup a P220 X-6 I am certain it would be not problem, same if you went for a P220 Sport or even a P220 Sport Stock as all three have stainless frames

I shoot LOTS of 9x23 Winchester. Some in my Colt Govewrnment model. Colt started making these in the mid 1990s buit they did not sell well. So the remaining pars were blown out by CDNN for I think $199. They gave you a complete slide assemble including barrel and recoil assemble plus two factory 9x23 magazines. Obviously you can just use 38 SUPER mags, bit I bought half a dozen correctly marked mags anyway.

I use a stainless Government model as my doner. I had already done some tinkering on the frame so it just worked for me

However today, most of my 9x23 Winchester shooting is done with revolvers. I have converted two of my N-frame Model 627 Smith and Wessons for this cartridge. I have also converted one of my model 940 J-frames but the 9x23 Winchester is harsh in a 23 ounce pocket revolver so those get shot with 38 SUPER most of the time. When I want the hot J-frame I carry my PC 940 Special which is chambered for the 356TSW cartridge

This semi-pinto Model 627 had a second cylinder setup for 9x23 Winchester probably 12-14 years ago. This is the first revolver I used with 9x23 Winchester. The unfluted stainless cylinder is the original 357 Magnum cylinder that the revolver shipped with. The 9x23 cylinder is the black fluted one

After shooting thos first 9x23 Winchester revolver for many years, I realized that this cartridge could greatly benefit from a comp. So I picked up one of the 5" 627 V-Comp revolvers that now has a second cylinder for 9x23 Winchester.

This firearm/cartridge combination worked so good that I switched to this revolver for shooting pins. I had been using a Smith & Wesson Model 625 V-Comp that I was using to fire 45 SUPER in

However, in a match having the 8 rounds of 9x23 vs. 6 rounds of 45 SUPER is nice

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some nice pieces you have there, @Colt_SAA. I particularly covet the 1911.

I guess I just didn't realize the 220's came in alloy as well as steel. Not sure I've seen an alloy 220, although I may just not have been paying attention. I have 2 regular 220's, plus a Dark Elite and an SAS. The SAS should be alloy, but I never really think about that. It is heavy enough with all the .45 ammo in it.

Wonder what all it would take to build a 220 "race gun" - that is, in 9X23 with a comp integrated into the barrel, etc. Yours appears like an add-on part. Granted mine is a 1911, but it has more of a "built-in" look. I recollect seeing a Commander-length 1911 built for .38 Super WITH the comp on the end. Looked really sharp! Probably shot pretty well. Perhaps I should start looking in that direction.

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:

I guess I just didn't realize the 220's came in alloy as well as steel. Not sure I've seen an alloy 220, although I may just not have been paying attention. I have 2 regular 220's, plus a Dark Elite and an SAS. The SAS should be alloy, but I never really think about that. It is heavy enough with all the .45 ammo in it.

Wonder what all it would take to build a 220 "race gun" - that is, in 9X23 with a comp integrated into the barrel, etc. Yours appears like an add-on part. Granted mine is a 1911, but it has more of a "built-in" look. I recollect seeing a Commander-length 1911 built for .38 Super WITH the comp on the end. Looked really sharp! Probably shot pretty well. Perhaps I should start looking in that direction.
Thank you for the kind words

The VAST majority of P220s are alloy frame. Steel frames have only been produced in Stainless, but some were finished in nitron in very limited numbers

The P220 Sport left the Factory with the Comp. The P226 Sport looks similar but I do not own one to post a picture of. Remember with longer barrels, the comps have to come off for disassembly. Using the equipment rail for attachment is how the SIG MasterShop chose to do it. But I agree, it looks aftermarket

When the MasterShop built the P229 Sport pistols several years later (357SIG or 40S&W) I guess they had enough feedback on the look of the earlier guns that they went with a threaded on comp instead. The little nub that you see at the bottom is a cross screw that prevents the comp from unscrewing while being fired

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
?Does anyone know whether a P220 was ever made in .38 Super. ?Is that something one can modify a regular barrel to (or 9X23). ?Does Sig make a barrel for that model in one of those calibres.

My P-220 started out life as a 38 Super and was a PW Arms conversion to 9mm.
When I bought mine in the mid to later 90's there were a lot of them imported and sold that way.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:

My P-220 started out life as a 38 Super and was a PW Arms conversion to 9mm.
When I bought mine in the mid to later 90's there were a lot of them imported and sold that way.

220-9er,
Did the conversions come with 9MM mags that had the spacer in the back? Or were they sold with the original 38 SUPER mags?

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

posted Hide Post
I don't think there are that many 220-9's about these days. Seems what you see is .45 ACP and 10mm.

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think there are that many 220-9's about these days. Seems what you see is .45 ACP and 10mm.

I have had a original (not converted) P220 9MM in my safe since 2008 and I got my P229 38SUPER eight years before that in 2000

Admittedly, most of my P220s are 45ACP (7 at the moment), I got that first 45 ACP P220 in 1978, yes it still sits in my safe.

My one and only P220 10MM has been with me since 2011 and is currently housed in a go bag right next to it's HK cousin the MP5/10

SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
quote:

Thank you for the kind words

The VAST majority of P220s are alloy frame. Steel frames have only been produced in Stainless, but some were finished in nitron in very limited numbers

The P220 Sport left the Factory with the Comp. The P226 Sport looks similar but I do not own one to post a picture of. Remember with longer barrels, the comps have to come off for disassembly. Using the equipment rail for attachment is how the SIG MasterShop chose to do it. But I agree, it looks aftermarket

When the MasterShop built the P229 Sport pistols several years later (357SIG or 40S&W) I guess they had enough feedback on the look of the earlier guns that they went with a threaded on comp instead. The little nub that you see at the bottom is a cross screw that prevents the comp from unscrewing while being fired

I guess in thinking about the comp, the biggest difference is that the 1911 takes the barrel out the front of the slide, while the 220 out the back. SOOO, to have the “integrated” look, the Sig would have to be modified at the slide front end, to allow the barrel/comp to slide out the front. THAT would prrobably also require changing how the RS is assembled, as you would have to have some front-end spring tension remover to be able to easily take the slide out the front. Be some work there. But I think the end result would be quite striking, as well as being functional.