SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .40 Smith & Wesson
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.40 Smith & Wesson Login/Join 
posted
From the early 1990s when the .40 Smith & Wesson debuted. It was very popular, especially in law enforcement circles. Now, it seems to be a dying breed. Even more so, it is getting harder to find it, and .357sig. At least here in Texas. Has anyone experienced this, in your State?

Posts: 188 | Registered: August 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
I bought a P226 in 40 and soon a 357 barrel. I enjoy owning and shooting it and use it as my bed side lighted companion. Just picked up a M&P 40 with a 357 barrel as well. Either you like them or you don't but reloading really helps with the fun factor. Picking up and catching brass is a challenge as the ejection is like a moon shot.

I love all the calibers. I even have a 22TCM so no help for me.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldjarhead:
Now, it [.40 S&W] seems to be a dying breed.

I have not data to offer you, only conjecture based on what I've read on the internet.

It seems that law enforcement agencies have come to the conclusion that the incremental benefit in effectiveness provided by .40 S&W doesn't justify the increased training necessary to achieve the same proficiency as 9mm.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Here is a long running thread about .40 that you might find interesting.

.40 hasn’t fallen out of favor for me, but most of my guns are 9mm. The best part about a gun chambered in .40 is that you can usually get .357 Sig barrels and most mags shoot both.

I’ve got a couple guns in .40 and .357 Sig that I have the others barrel for. I prefer .40 out of the Glock 23 but .357 Sig out of the P229. I was also eyeballing a .40 DAO Beretta 96 recently. I’ll bet a .40 or a .357 Sig out of that gun would be really fun.

I’ve also got a Ruger GP100 in 10mm that I shoot .40 out of. That’s a fun gun too.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Dying, or just somewhat reduced popularity. While less departments use it, a get the feeling a lot still do. And it was always more popular in the LE than civilian world. Something to do with cost.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I have seen reduced availability of .40, but I've seen reduced availability of everything else as well.

I've said this before, and I stand by it. In the era of limited capacity magazines, .40 was king. If you could only carry 10 rounds, why not have the biggest you could fit?
Without restrictions, the 9mm is supreme... why have 12 rounds of .40 when you can get 15 of 9mm?

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It'll be easier to tell what's going on when we're out of the ongoing cycle of ammo shortages and panics.

No, I don't pretend to know when that'll be at the moment.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldjarhead:
From the early 1990s when the .40 Smith & Wesson debuted. It was very popular, especially in law enforcement circles. Now, it seems to be a dying breed. Even more so, it is getting harder to find it, and .357sig. At least here in Texas. Has anyone experienced this, in your State?

Oh, good. The classic ".40 is dying" thread.

Again.

Breath of fresh air.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I have barely looked for ammo in the past 2 years since I stocked up pretty heavy in the years prior, but it’s strange to hear that .40 is harder to find since the last two “panics” .40 was the easiest to find. In fact that history is what lead me to buying my Glock 23 and a .40 barrel for my P229.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I went ahead and picked up a Glock 22 some time back just because every time there's a panic, 9mm is nowhere to be found, but you can still get .40.

Posts: 17126 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Dying, or just somewhat reduced popularity. While less departments use it, a get the feeling a lot still do. And it was always more popular in the LE than civilian world. Something to do with cost.

It seems when you have around the water cooler chats with agencies using them, just about everyone wants to dump them.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had no issues getting .40. I ran .357 for quite a few years and finally decided to switch back to .40. Cannot find .357 anywhere.

Posts: 124 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: January 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
In CA the ammo is easy enough to find. The guns are few and far between - everyone wants 9mm

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my fo-tays, I go with the Underwood 165gr Speer Bonded JHP. 1200 FPS and 525 Ft/Lbs of energy. Its the performance level the .40 should be. If I cant get the 165gr load, then I get the Underwood 180 with the Nosler JHP. 1100 FPS and 485 Ft/Lbs.
Underwood also loads the "Extreme Penetrator" load for .40 but thats a bit too much for me.
I just got an EMail from AIM Surplus. Gen 3 Glock 40s Cop turn ins for $379.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
The 40 and 45 will just sit back and patiently wait until there is another Miami-style shootout and the 9mm fails again.

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by giz55792:
The 40 and 45 will just sit back and patiently wait until there is another Miami-style shootout and the 9mm fails again.

If you look into it, the problem with the 9mm hits was the ammo failing to expand, not the caliber. That, and a whole host of other things that went wrong that having a .40 wouldn’t have magically fixed, like the two agents fucking a waitress in a kitchen instead of doing what they were supposed to do.

Posts: 17126 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by giz55792:

The 9mm didn’t fail, their tactics failed.

IIRC two agents immediately lost their .357 magnum revolvers before the shootout even started. How would a .40 or .45 solved that little problem?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
If you look into it, the problem with the 9mm hits was the ammo failing to expand, not the caliber. That, and a whole host of other things that went wrong that having a .40 wouldn’t have magically fixed, like the two agents fucking a waitress in a kitchen instead of doing what they were supposed to do.

Expansion is a gunrag writer's wet dream. Shot placement and penetration incapacitates. Not expansion.

Expansion reduces penetration. More drag, more surface area, lower sectional density.

It's entirely irrelevant if the shot doesn't go where it's needed.

Expansion is useful to prevent overpenetration.

It's well established that most physicians can't tell you what cartridge hit someone, and that the mythology of stopping power and one shot stops and all that garbage is more of that wet dream fodder.

Arguments over which caliber or cartridge is better seem to constantly pop up, and are as pointless as they are circular. Shoot what you feel comfortable with, can afford to shoot, and can shoot well. Shoot what you trust. Your opponent won't be questioning your choice if you do your job. Neither should anyone else.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
My next gun will be a Glock 22 MOS. I love the caliber.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Not sure about .40 nor other manufacturers, but Winchester told us they are doing a run of 357SIG in April. I've got orders from 2020 and 2021 waiting to be filled and I ordered more this year so hopefully it will last us until our guns get old enough so I can switch us to the 45 MOS.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post