New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG Pro 9mm Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Funny, I just took all of my handguns out of my safe for their yearly oil wipe down. I am not sure why I struggle with the 2022/2340. Taking it apart is easy, it's getting the slide lock lever back in that I have problems with. I don't have any of the aforementioned pistols, except a newly acquired Hi-Power manufactured in 1979.

I'll also note the OP is over 80 YO, so he might have a problem with it as well. I'm only 50. Part of it might be technique, and the fact that neither of mine have been shot very much. I'd say each of mine have less than 500 rounds down the pipe. The springs are very strong.

I'll correct my statement above, they are a PITA to re-assemble when compared to a traditional SIG and the take down lever. Razz

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^ the trick is to put the lever in when the slide is in the normal position and the push it home when you rack the the slide back to line up the opening. Some folks try to insert it with the slide back. That may be your issue?

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is what I was doing. I thought I had it figured out last time I had them out...which was probably January of last year, when I pulled them out to oil them. Sigh, I really need to get to the range more often. I seem to be doing more "collecting" than "shooting".

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You can also try the "cool guy press-check" grip (Big Grin), which may help you align the takedown notch. You basically grasp the pistol in your right hand, with your thumb behind the tang and your fingers over the top of the slide, squeeze to partially retract the slide until the notch lines up, then hold it there by maintaining pressure. This extra leverage and control might be the ticket to getting the slide in the right spot.

Like so:

Posts: 32507 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Another reason I like the German versions. The slide cut is farther back. Maybe they changed this thinking it's a fail point, i.e., the takedown pin slipping out during firing. Never heard of that failure though.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The accessory rail is the only functional difference.

So if you want/need a standard rail for something like a WML, get a SP2022.

Otherwise, you can get either one.

I prefer the accessory rail that the sp2009 has

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I prefer the accessory rail that the sp2009 has

So basically, you prefer no rail. (It's a funky proprietary rail that nothing works with anymore. Wink )

Posts: 32507 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I’m not a fan of the cheese grater rail for ccw. It can be snaggy. I’m good with the glock style single slot. My Sig 2340s each have a kind of rare Surefire m10 adapter which is a single slot. The SIGpro I carry most doesn’t have the adapter on it much. I have guns with the cheese grater rail but I don’t carry them.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another thing to look at, which I didn't know was an option/issue is the decocker on some models of the 2009. Some have a higher ledge, like in the picture Rogue shows and some have a lower or descending type ledge, like the one on the pic from SigSentry. On the 2009 I had, mine was a descending type which for me, made it harder to decock when in SA mode. I eventually sold it as I found it to be kind of slippery and not easy to activate/use.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I have a 2340 and a 2022. They are a PITA to field strip and put back together. There are tons of youtube videos explaining how it's done. It takes a little getting used to, but it is still much more difficult than a traditional SIG, P226, P228, etc...
Strange observation. I feel the exact opposite, my 2340 damn near falls apart in my hands compared to the 239. 1911 christamighty, I’d rather do about anything but strip that thing.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head around either of those statements above... A Sig P series pistol has got to be the easiest to break down their is.... the 2022 and 2340 almost so...
Just a tad more .... you have to hold the slide in the right place to get the slide release pin/lever out as compared to just locking the slide back and flipping the slide release lever down. Does not need a special upside down reverse grip along with super dexterity fingers like on a different brand of pistol that shall remain nameless.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
I love my SP2022, very easy to breakdown like all SIGs with a takedown lever, great out of box trigger DA/SA, 9mm mec-gar magazines are still made and not bad price, new barrels available still etc.

I've seen many online recently for good deals I'd check wikiarms.com and gun.deals and search engines.

I've seen SP2022 in the mid $300's NIB online recently.

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Here's my 'Frankenhimer' 2022.... all acquired from members here:

2022 in 9mm with an extra 2340 slide with both a 357sig and 40 Cal barrels....
Pretty much a safe queen.... not sure I've shot it more than once in the three calibers.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^nice kit. The only thing I don't like about the 2022 is that SIG couldn't manage a 22lr conversion.

posted Hide Post
The only issue I felt the 2022 had was that the takedown lever stuck out too far on the right side and it was snagging on some of my holsters. I dremeled it down a bit - problem solved with no loss of reliable function.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post