SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Factory Blemish ammo help requested
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Factory Blemish ammo help requested Login/Join 
posted
I am familiar with the term when applied to firearms. I really do not care how my ammo looks as long as it goes bang. Is this something to be considered? I am confused as to the term itself.

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Are you referring to something specific?

If a vendor is selling “blemished” ammunition, it’s probably not unsafe to fire or unusable because the cases are bulged or dented so badly that it won’t chamber. I would expect minor dents (that I’ve never found to be any sort of problem) or discoloration due to tarnish, etc. I wouldn’t want something that was corroded green, but discoloration is fine as well.

And of course the type of ammunition makes a difference as well. If I were purchasing something for precision rifle use I’d be more finicky than if it’s intended for range blasting.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J387
posted Hide Post
I had to return a case of 357 sig to the manufacturer because the cases had black spots and what looked like rust. CCI paid for return shipping and sent me out a fresh case. It took over a month for the exchange but I wasn’t in much of a rush. I believe most ammunition is warrantied for a year after you purchase it.

Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes

Posts: 406 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I bought a few boxes of Federal .380FMJ that had what appeared to be tarnished water spots all over the brass cases. It wasn’t sold as blemished, but it should have been, IMO. Rather than make a long drive to complain about it, I just used it. It worked fine.

Posts: 26846 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post