SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Reduced recoil in Fort Scott Munitions 38 Special makes shooting it in my 11 oz S&W 340 Jframe almost pleasurable. Anyone familiar with it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reduced recoil in Fort Scott Munitions 38 Special makes shooting it in my 11 oz S&W 340 Jframe almost pleasurable. Anyone familiar with it? Login/Join 
Picture of EasyFire
posted
Anyone using or experienced with Fort Scott Munitions Spun copper cartridges with patented TUI (Tumble Upon Impact)? Apparently they are making in all popular cartridges both pistol and rifle.

Recoil

I have found the recoil of their lightweight bullet (81grains) in 38 special makes shooting the 2 inch jframe snub nose almost pleasurable. Felt recoil seems like about 80% of range ammo. Sadly I have no objective way of measuring. Total cartridge weight seems less that a more traditional cartridge, but since my Chinese scale has died, I cannot furnish accurate data. So I guess tomorrow, I will be going back to try out the 357 version.

Bullet Performance

Seems acceptably accurate. But as at 75 I am no longer a steady shot, so that may be suspect. Penetration seems exceptional with the “Tumble Upon Impact” TUI function. Looks like it took a rifle plate to stop penetration on body armor. See video > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0sSr5EUW7w Windshield and auto sheet metal tests were not found. As per the videos, it did not appear excessive penetration in 10% box gel tests. I also do not place God’s Truth in YouTube videos. 

Pricing

At about $1 per round pistol caliber, I find these too expensive for range or plinking. Prices are about the same as a good defensive load from major manufacturers.

Check out the YouTube videos. Oh also, I have no connection with Fort Scott Munitions though I may seek a package deal on purchase to get the cost down.

How I got there…

Because a number of my students taking my defensive handgun classes like the weight and handling of S&W 340 (11 oz.) including myself, but do not like the punishing recoil of even the range loads, last week I went looking for a light bullet in 38 Special. Imperfectly remembering high school physics, I reasoned that less bullet weight would result in less recoil even with increase velocity.

Knowing that the plastic bullets like ARX or Inceptor are no longer available, I discovered at a local gun store these Fort Scott Munitions cartridges in a full range of rifle and pistol bullets. Bought some 38 Special and really liked it for my S&W 340.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EasyFire,

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I stopped in and met these guys a few years back when I was in Fort Scott, KS. They seemed like nice guys that had put some thought into their rounds. They had a lot of examples of wound channels from various loads on display. That said I’m not sure I’m quite sold on it. Sounds like you’d have some success though.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post