SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Best bullet weight for 220?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best bullet weight for 220? Login/Join 
Picture of Makoman
posted
I seem to remember reading some years ago that the German made Sigs used to ship with a target and that the ammo used was some type of "match" hollow point made by Federal that weighed 180 or 185 grains. That was a long time ago obviously, and it could be that those sights back then were regulated for the middle-weight .45 rounds. Not sure what the sights are set up for on the modern iterations of the 220.

Your input appreciated.

Posts: 206 | Location: Democratik Peoples Republik of Kommiefornia | Registered: January 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Not sure if there is a published best weight. Think it’s up to the user. I use 230 grain bullets with my 45s

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’m not familiar with any 45 ACP hollow point loadings that were marketed as match loads. One bullet for the purpose that’s been around for a very long time is the 185 grain semiwadcutter, as Federal evidently still offers in a Gold Medal Match load. For whatever it may be worth, a few years ago I purchased a box of that to try in a P220 and it absolutely would not chamber properly. I ended up giving it to a friend who has 1911s.

https://www.gtdist.com/federal...x-semi-wc-185gr.html

I have used various hollow point loads from 200 to 230 grains in P220s with no problems.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I’m not familiar with any 45 ACP hollow point loadings that were marketed as match loads. One bullet for the purpose that’s been around for a very long time is the 185 grain semiwadcutter, as Federal evidently still offers in a Gold Medal Match load. For whatever it may be worth, a few years ago I purchased a box of that to try in a P220 and it absolutely would not chamber properly. I ended up giving it to a friend who has 1911s.

https://www.gtdist.com/federal...x-semi-wc-185gr.html

I have used various hollow point loads from 200 to 230 grains in P220s with no problems.

The shoulder on the SWC is what kept it from chambering. The guys and girls I shoot with every week have a bunch of P220 Sigs and they've all encountered this problem at least once. Dropping the shoulder down to where it's even with the case mouth solves it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Dropping the shoulder down to where it's even with the case mouth solves it.

Interesting. Thanks although the very few times I shoot a P220 these days I just use what has been successful for me in the past.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m not familiar with any 45 ACP hollow point loadings that were marketed as match loads.

This is the bullet/loading that is being referred to

It came in the old Federal red and white boxes. Both their 230gr RN and 185gr JHP were labeled "Match"

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
Both their 230gr RN and 185gr JHP were labeled "Match"

Thanks. Something to add to my store of knowledge (won't specify what kind of knowledge Wink ).

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I bought my P220 in 1995/96 and only shot White Box 230 gr. I picked up some 185 gr and it wouldn't cycle, I called Sig and got the answer "It's too light a load, just continue with the 230 gr White Box and keep the gun well oiled." I've done that ever since but I don't carry this, only for home defense.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3386 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
I bought my P220 in 1995/96 and only shot White Box 230 gr. I picked up some 185 gr and it wouldn't cycle, I called Sig and got the answer "It's too light a load, just continue with the 230 gr White Box and keep the gun well oiled." I've done that ever since but I don't carry this, only for home defense.

Too light a load???

I load under minimum load specs for my P220s and none of them have ever even hiccuped. And yes, I've loaded a lot of H&G 185 grainers.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Both their 230gr RN and 185gr JHP were labeled "Match"

Thanks. Something to add to my store of knowledge (won't specify what kind of knowledge Wink ).

I likely should add that I used these loads for years as my default test rounds for function/accuracy testing of any .45ACP pistol I had. If the pistol in question wouldn't feed the 185gr JHP, I questioned it's reliability in general.

I even carried the 185gr JHP loads in my Star PD while I had it

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Makoman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I’m not familiar with any 45 ACP hollow point loadings that were marketed as match loads.

This is the bullet/loading that is being referred to

It came in the old Federal red and white boxes. Both their 230gr RN and 185gr JHP were labeled "Match"

Thank you. I’m curious to see how 185’s will print/group vs 230’s since that’s what the guns appear to have been tested with back in the day. Probably not that big a difference, but I’m just curious.

Posts: 206 | Location: Democratik Peoples Republik of Kommiefornia | Registered: January 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
My entire career carrying the P220 was spent with various 230 grain fodder. Hydra-Shocks, Speer Gold dots, and Winchester Ranger. We did move to Speer 155 grain frangible training rounds for range training which work surprisingly well.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Makoman:
I seem to remember reading some years ago that the German made Sigs used to ship with a target and that the ammo used was some type of "match" hollow point made by Federal that weighed 180 or 185 grains. That was a long time ago obviously, and it could be that those sights back then were regulated for the middle-weight .45 rounds. Not sure what the sights are set up for on the modern iterations of the 220.

Your input appreciated.

I had no trouble with 185 grain lead SWC in my P220. The trick was to create enough of a shoulder so it would load. I never had trouble getting good groups with them.

Posts: 39 | Registered: February 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post