SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Is this unburnt gun powder?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this unburnt gun powder? Login/Join 
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted
If someone could spare a minute, is this unburnt gunpowder or is something going really wrong with my new AR?

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's unburnt powder.

What's your barrel length? Do you use a suppressor? What type of ammo?

Things that can contribute to this include:
-Barrel shorter than 16ish inches (most common)
-Subsonic ammo
-Backpressure from suppressor
-Overgassed
-Cheap ammo or reloads with powder that's too slow-burning

Posts: 32530 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A quick perusal of your prior posts suggests it could be a combination of all/most of the above factors. Big Grin

Sounds like this is your new SBR that you just assembled, which you likely were shooting with one of your suppressors and some of your .223 handloads?

If so, you're definitely going to be getting unburnt powder blowing back into the receiver.

You can try tweaking your load with a faster burning powder to help reduce it.

Posts: 32530 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
You’re correct on most of it (your cop skills are getting rusty) Razz

The gun is in fact the freshly built SBR with a 10.3” 300 Blackout barrel. The gas duties are being handled by a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block. Due to other main goals for yesterdays range trip I literally only shot 3 rounds. The first was at arms length unsuppressed as a “It’s my first upper build, if it blows up I want it to be at arms length.” shot. It didn’t cycle at all. Shot 2 was with a suppressor and it extracted the round but didn’t fully eject it and the third round did the same as the second so back to the case the gun went and we shot other guns.

I have noticed that the bolt carrier is tougher than my other ARs to cycle so there is that tidbit.

The ammo I question for the day was Hornady’s Black line of 208gr subsonic ammo. I probably should have started the show with supersonic rounds to break stuff in but I really wanted to see how it sounded suppressed with subsonic rounds.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post