SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Winchester .243 Super-X Power Point
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester .243 Super-X Power Point Login/Join 
posted
I am kind of stuck on this load because it shoots like a laser. I have been waiting over a year for the 100 gr to show back up on store shelves, and I've finally taken to the internet to find a couple of boxes. What I found is that it's out of stock pretty much everywhere, but I can find 95 gr everywhere.

The 100 gr seems to have been replaced by an XP version. Does anyone have any experience with the XP version. I'm leaning toward that instead of messing with bullet weight.

Thanks in advance for any advice you gents want to throw my way.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
The XP 95 grain 243 ammo gets 4+ star reviews, seems rather good. Whatever you may need for next deer season I’d get some stocked up now.

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog...mo-sale/243-win-ammo

Sgammo has a few choices, not what you mentioned though.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herknav:
I am kind of stuck on this load because it shoots like a laser. I have been waiting over a year for the 100 gr to show back up on store shelves, and I've finally taken to the internet to find a couple of boxes. What I found is that it's out of stock pretty much everywhere, but I can find 95 gr everywhere.

The 100 gr seems to have been replaced by an XP version. Does anyone have any experience with the XP version. I'm leaning toward that instead of messing with bullet weight.

Thanks in advance for any advice you gents want to throw my way.

Scarcer than hens teeth. There’s 1 guy selling that on gunbroker. Linky clicky

He has several listing, scroll down

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
One thing about the 243, if one isn’t careful can end up with ammo more suitable for coyotes than deer hunting. I’m not directing that at the OP, who is talking about a great choice.

I only shot a few deer with a 243, worked as well as my 308. I used a 95 grain Nosler partition. Once one used an adequate big game bullet, the next step is proper placement.

A number of years ago a guy related a story from elk hunting, he said his 300 WSM wasn’t enough gun. At first I though there was a joke coming, turned out he was serious. He was looking over an open area, a bull elk surprised him from behind. As he turned, the elk had enough, left also.

He shot the elk in the behind with a 150 grain ballistic tip bullet with his 300 WSM. His buddies found the elk 4+ days later. He was serious the gun wasn’t enough. Even though they have ‘big game’ ballistic tips, that 150 grain in the 300 WSM was a fair bit less than idea. Then shot placement. He was off looking for a 338 mag.

I put shot placement with an ‘adequate’ bullet above relatively minor bullet differences. Even researching a great bullet, there will be sketchy reviews where I think the shooter fell short more than the bullet ‘failed’.

Just some general musings. OBTW, my only elk hunt I used a 165 grain gameking in my 300 WSM. I took one shot, the 5x5 never went 5 yards.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not the ammo you’re asking about, however when I had my 243 I used Remington Corlok, 95 grain. I took 3 deer with that round, all neck shots, all DRT.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post