SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Winchester leads the way ... (price increase the new norm)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester leads the way ... (price increase the new norm) Login/Join 
Picture of Gallo Pazzesco
posted
I was afraid this was going to happen but this pretty much verifies that we'll never ever again see pre-Covid pricing on any ammunition or components.

Winchester is simply taking the lead and being the first to confirm what many of us already expected was going to be the case ... profits are through the roof and corporate gun world loves having us by the bollacks.

Times have changed, permanently. As Louder with Crowder says, "Prove me wrong."

quote:
March 23, 2021
Winchester Ammunition v

March 22nd, 2021 Winchester ammunition announced an increase in all ammunition prices effective May 1st. The letter from Winchester is below but amounts to a fairly large increase in the cost of ammunition.

March 22, 2021

To All Winchester Ammunition Customers:

Thank you for your commitment to Winchester and Browning Ammunition in support of our legendary products.

Due to the increased cost inputs for manufacturing ammunition, it is necessary to increase ammunition prices for all shipments, including backorders, beginning May 1, 2021.

Ammunition will be subject to the following price increases.

Shotshells + 5%-12%
22 Magnum Rimfire ammunition + 5%-15%
Hunting Rifle ammunition + 5%-15%
All Centerfire Pistol ammunition +8%
Components +10%
Primers +25% (Due to our current backorder situation, until further notice, Winchester is not accepting new orders on primers)

These May 1, 2021 increases will affect all pack sizes, sub-brands, and special make-ups.

All existing orders and future orders shipped on or after May 1, 2021, will be shipped at the new prices unless you notify us requesting cancellation. Procedures for repricing back and future orders will be issued with new pricelists and programs in the coming weeks.

Sincerely,

Matt Campbell

Vice President, Sales & Marketing

https://www.internationalsport...-reloading-supplies/

Posts: 104 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: September 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I don't see this as an announcement of a permanent price increase going forward, but rather a explanation of a necessary price increase due to the current / unprecedented demand, which has increased their costs beyond what their previous pricing model would support.

As long as market capitalism continues to be a thing, there will always be someone willing to undercut their competitor(s). All manufacturers will continuously strive to increase their quality, efficiency and profitability in order to gain an advantage on their competitors, and the market will naturally force them to do so. Prices will fall back to sane levels once demand is reduced and supply returns to normal. Count on it! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
Federal has had about 6 price increases like this since March 2020. It is maddening.

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10338 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Just had a new Ammo Manufacture start up in Louisville. He is only doing 9mm now, but will do 5.56 later I am told. Not sure how he is finding primers. He just mentioned a John Wick Movie is taking a bunch away from him. Crazy how it is hard enough to find ammo and now John Wick is making it worse. Smile 50,000 Primers???? WOW.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sportsman's Warehouse in Mechanicsburg had ammo and primers today, you could buy 100 rounds total or a brick of 22lr. Winchester White Box 100 count 45acp was the best deal at $58. Primers you were allowed to buy 200 at $3.49 per hundred. Last year at this time they were $2.39 per hundred. So not great but still available. I got a box of 9mm WWB 115 grain jhps for $31. Which is too much but the first I've seen since maybe July of last year.

Posts: 4652 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShoreGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redlickranch:
Just had a new Ammo Manufacture start up in Louisville. He is only doing 9mm now, but will do 5.56 later I am told. Not sure how he is finding primers. He just mentioned a John Wick Movie is taking a bunch away from him. Crazy how it is hard enough to find ammo and now John Wick is making it worse. Smile 50,000 Primers???? WOW.

I’ve had good luck with some of these smaller companies, both purchases I’ve made were new nickel cases with Gold Dots.

West German P228 (first duty weapon)
GOTM Nickel P229

Posts: 79 | Location: NC | Registered: March 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those price increases still aren’t anywhere close to the COVID prices right now. A marginal increase is pretty normal

Posts: 20 | Registered: October 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Yep and there is tons of Ammo online if you care to look. And prices are not off the charts either. I do not buy the doom and gloom.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Yep and there is tons of Ammo online if you care to look. And prices are not off the charts either. I do not buy the doom and gloom.

agree prices are coming down

imo things will stabilize higher than pre-COVID... but they will continue dropping for the next few months to year

supply and demand wins again. econ 101.

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
As long as market capitalism continues to be a thing, there will always be someone willing to undercut their competitor(s). All manufacturers will continuously strive to increase their quality, efficiency and profitability in order to gain an advantage on their competitors, and the market will naturally force them to do so. Prices will fall back to sane levels once demand is reduced and supply returns to normal. Count on it! Wink

No, they like having us by the balls, and are just increasing prices willy-nilly because they are greedy capitalist running dogs. They'll never reduce prices once they go up, because they are avaricious SOBs in cahoots with each other.

Whew. Got that out of my system.

Supplies are scarce and demand is high. That spells price increases in a free market, capitalist economy. When those things change, prices will come down. They are not in cahoots, and one of them will happily lower the price of ammo as soon as it can and grab up as much of the market as possible until the others respond in kind.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Another KY shop getting good shipments of ammo.

Price is still too high for me, but No Limit must mean they are getting in bigger shipments.

IN STOCK NOW! - NO LIMITS
Federal 9MM Luger 115 Grain FMJ C9115A Training Ammunition
Box of 50 -$27.99
Shop in store or online www.whittakerguns.com
Available in store only
500 Rounds (10 Boxes of 50 Rounds)
9mm - 115 gr FMJ - Federal White Box (C9115A) - $279.90

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I have been buying 9mm at just under 30 cents around since this whole high demand thing started. It’s just not always available. American Eagle Federal Blazer Brass etc. Fortunately I’m stocked enough there is no need for me to be constantly checking the store shelves on a daily basis. When it’s there I buy the allotted two boxes.

If I have been able to buy at 30 cents a round all this time I take that as a indicator that even cheaper prices are in the future.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ammunition prices seem to be dropping, e.g., 1K rounds of 9mm for $0.37 per round. Any predictions on how low prices will drop? The shortage seems to be ending quickly, IMHO

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Best I have seen in the last 2 weeks is $19.99 for Blazer brass. I bet we see $15 a box range by end of summer. I see a lot of 9mm, 223, 308 and 7.62x39 and .22 LR, but not much else.

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redlickranch:
Best I have seen in the last 2 weeks is $19.99 for Blazer brass.

I just have to ask, where?

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
Ammunition prices seem to be dropping, e.g., 1K rounds of 9mm for $0.37 per round. Any predictions on how low prices will drop? The shortage seems to be ending quickly, IMHO

Just my $0.02 on the issue, prices on all gun related items drop during the summer months. This is based on my observations of the past five years or so.

The reason I think this happens is because people are off doing other things. Has anyone ever noticed how attendance at gun shows drops off in the summer months?

I suspect that we will see a slow decrease in prices through the summer. But unfortunately some event in the fall will trigger another round of panic buying.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I and others waiting in the
dark and cold at Cabela's all Winter never expected the shortage to end so quickly. With the Delta Variant will the shortage start again in the next yearvorvtwo?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
Is NOT everything we use going up in price.
Motor oil , Gas , Lead, Powder, Chicken prices , beef, Vegetables Flour rice ? Not to mention Price of Logistics, brass and i know the price of Copper has gone up. Did we not expect a price increase?
i dont like to be gouged from Retailers but i did Expect a Price increase i just hope it dont last forever but guessing it will.

Posts: 1596 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post