SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Light .380 ammo or Mechanix gloves
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light .380 ammo or Mechanix gloves Login/Join 
posted
I just bought a Walther PPK/S .380. Shot about 25 rounds of American Eagle 95 grain through it and that was enough. Kicks like a mule, So much so that it bruised the web between my thumb and finger. Does anyone know of a lighter load? Thanks.

Has anyone tried one of the Mechanix M-Pact gloves to absorb some of the recoil?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nickg216,

Posts: 14 | Registered: January 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The problem is that a lighter load may not reliably operate the blowback action of your Walther PPK/S. My blowback Sig P230SL is pretty unpleasant to shoot for the same reason. And it slices the web of my hand, as well. In my opinion a locked breech 9mm of similar size and weight is more fun at the range, more effective for carry, and cheaper to practice with.

Posts: 26846 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I have an Interarms blue Walther .380 PPK/S. Beautiful pistol, but it’s now a safe queen. My locked breech .380 SIG P238 is so much more comfortable to shoot. Much easier to rack its slide, too.

Corbon 70gr Pow’RBall, plus a lighter recoil spring from Wolff, would help reduce the vicious recoil of your PPK/S.

https://shopcorbon.com/index.p...84_61&product_id=211

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8832 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem in .380. I've pulled lots of rounds apart and most are loaded pretty stout. 99% of what I shoot are my reloads which are mild but still 100% reliable. Have you considered reloading? It would save you about 60-70% on cost also.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned my PPk/S for a numer of years now. It being a straight blowback gun, it was not a pleasant range shooter. I am a handloader and load light loads for my blowback 380 guns, and full tilt loads for my locked breech guns. I did not have to change any springs for 100% function. A win-win situation for me.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone know of a lighter load?

The 95-grain is pretty much the standard for .380. And American Eagle is milder than European loadings, some of which are downright hot. I have some Italian-made Perfecta that I don't use any more because it stings my hand to shoot in a Ruger LCP. I have heard of 88- and 90-grain hollow-points, but this is not a significant difference.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27803 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
PMC 90gr. FMJ
WIN 85gr. Silvertip

Posts: 3121 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
A padded shooting glove does make a bit of a difference and I'd also get the Hogue Handall Jr grip sleeve which will also help.

I've never heard of low-power .380

Keep in mind that nothing is ever going to change the fact that it's a blowback gun and therefore naturally going to be snappy.

To be honest, you may be more happy just selling it and getting something like a Kahr CW380, it's FAR softer shooting than a PPK. I can put 200-300 rounds through mine and my hand is just fine.

Posts: 33567 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post