SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    OMG, Can't Believe This Price.
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
OMG, Can't Believe This Price. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I sold some of my 9mm ammunition to friends in need early this year for what I paid when I purchased it.
124gr. American Eagle for $12 per 50 round box and 124+P HST for $24 per 50 round box.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Report This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I watched this sell out in 3 hrs from 191 in stock.
$1,000 for a box of 20.
http://www.selwayarmory.com/un...ender-box-of-20.html

Not sure what that was about but I suspect there are going to be a bunch of people amazed that they fit a case of ammo in such a small box.

Posts: 1468 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
$1,000 for a box of 20.

Well, look at it this way: For those who believe that a gun should last only long enough to fire the amount of ammunition whose cost exceeds by a bit what the gun was purchased for, this is perfect. Fire a single 20-round box of that stuff—okay, maybe two boxes—and it’s time for a new SIG, not to mention a Glock. Hurray!

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Just found out that members got an email with a code to put in that knocked it down to $20 a box, 3 box limit.
After 3 boxes it's $1,000 a box though.

Posts: 1468 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Report This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
I was having good success buying from the Federal website until everyone found out about it. I was buying 9mm 115 gr for about $380.00 per 1000 round case. Now everything is sold out. I grabbed 3k through the end of September. I found a local guy who sold me 600 rounds of 9mm for $240.00 yesterday. My stash is good for now.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Report This Post
Picture of RTP
posted Hide Post
Local indoor range posted on facebook that they had 9mm with no limits on quantity. When I got there, plenty of boxes in the aisle of Federal 124. They didn't post the price online or in the store and when I asked, $47.50 per box. Don't know if they're price gouging or if they're getting gouged but this is ridiculous. Almost 50 bucks for ammo that went for 12 bucks just 9 months ago.

Picture of oldseabag860
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
I just saw adds for 9mm for $650 per case and they are sold out!!!!!!!

Glad I reload but that's even getting bad as far as primers, I have about 20 lbs of all the powders I use.

"NO TWENTY TWO FOR YOU"

Posts: 269 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: January 07, 2014Report This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
My local fleet store (not the big chain store) has Browning 115gr 9mm at $14.99 per box of 50.
Just under 30 cents a round. About as good as it's going to get for awhile. I have a good amount squirelled away but I wasn't going to pass on the opportunity. Limit two per customer. I managed to get 400 rounds before they ran out.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
SG Ammo has more 9mm training ammunition in stock than I’ve seen in some time. It’s as expensive as what people are complaining about, but it’s there.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Man, I'm tempted to sell a case. Use it to fund my RMR slide. But I don't know how to do that these days in this stupid state. I'd have to look up current process. And not sure I really want to sell any - don't really need the money.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12678 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The future holds one of two likely probabilities (barring such felicitous events as space alien landings or planet-destroying gamma-ray bursters of doom): either the unicorn with the golden saddle will indeed be by the tree on Christmas morning (or at least by 20 January) or it won’t.

If we are convinced it will be and we have a vital need for the money now, then sell now. In fact, sell all the unnecessary stuff we can until we don’t need the money. But if we don’t need the money, then why sell unless we will never need what we’re thinking of selling and would never have to replace at some time? If properly cared for, ammo won’t go bad. If I were going to live in Scotland for the rest of my days, this would be a great time to sell all my guns, ammo, and everything else I couldn’t take with me. But because I’m not planning that, then it would be a gamble that even the unicorn by the tree will eliminate all my future needs that might be difficult to fill. It doesn’t take having a Communist in the White House to cause shortages, as we have seen for the past eight months or so.

And if we have any doubts whatsoever about needing to lay in a supply of Unicorn Chow, then it would make even less sense to sell what we have now. The Communists have stated more plainly than anyone here in the last 240+ years what their intentions are pertaining to the private ownership of guns, and that includes everything that makes it possible to use our guns as we wish. Anyone who doubts the sincerity of those intentions is a blithering, deliberate idiot. And anyone who believes, as we’ve seen on this forum for at least the last 15 or so years that, “It can’t happen to me,” is only slightly less blithering—perhaps 98.6 on a scale from 1 to 100.

If you need to sell or don’t need what you have to sell, sell now; if you don’t, don’t is my philosophy—and practice.

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Shit -- I had typed up a bunch but lost everything. I got an error that said I lost internet (but didn't).

Short version - agree. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12678 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
SF:
I was sitting around the fire at hunting camp this week with a like minded friend, all the while sipping on the whiskey which had followed us and he had a very similar but slightly different take on the strategy.

His pessimism about our long term future has convinced him he will sell no ammo, not a lick of it. However, he has begun selling his 'collectible' guns which have less utility in the event he wants to go off the grid, so to speak. Guns like engraved Brownings, early nickel S&W pre-19s, commemorative pistols, etc. His rationale is that if an annual gun tax is instituted, this type of collectible will have seen its height of value at this point and nose-dive.

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bustabuddy:
However, he has begun selling his 'collectible' guns which have less utility ....

I would agree with him, although we have somewhat different types of guns to consider.
I own too, too much “stuff,” including various guns, and most of which I accumulated when the end of the line seemed farther off. I don’t have much in the way of “collectables,” but I know that rationally I’ll never use many of the ones I do have ever again (some have hardly ever been used). As a consequence I’ve been selling them during this time when demand has been higher. Unfortunately, because I’ve always gravitated toward the somewhat unusual, they don’t move as fast as I’d like, but it’s still better to try to sell them now than when the demand is “normal.” Plus I believe it’s good to have them on the market if things take a turn for even the worse. Demand can spike very rapidly, and if there is any sort of “grandfather” provision in a new law, it often isn’t permanent.

I consider ammunition to be somewhat different, though. I shoot a lot and at the moment at least if I did decide at some point that I no longer needed it, transferring ammo is not subject to the hassles like dealing with firearms. Even though I probably have more than a lifetime supply of some types, it’s something I would probably never have trouble getting rid of.

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
transferring ammo is not subject to the hassles like dealing with firearms.

Yet.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Report This Post
Picture of billinaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
But that's nothing new...

Exactly. Pricing on something like Black Talon has no bearing on the price of normal ammunition.

Ive got boxes of it around , mostly 45.

I just shoot it.....

Posts: 159 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a consequence I’ve been selling them during this time when demand has been higher. Unfortunately, because I’ve always gravitated toward the somewhat unusual, they don’t move as fast as I’d like, but it’s still better to try to sell them now than when the demand is “normal.”

what method are you using to sell them ? gunbroker, local listings, consignment at shop?

i am in a similar situation. could easily lighten my ownership by a third and still be fine. however I am learning i should have more .22LR capability.

-----------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My gut tells me it's only going to go up, so we started working to negotiate a 100,000 round options contract for the SIGforum 9mm Ammunition Group Buy. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm sure we'll see higher prices for a long while..

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Report This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Last week Olin-Winchester sent out a memo to their vendors that their cost will be going up again.

Skip to 1:00.

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Report This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
gota do what you gota do. But no way I am going to pay current prices. Just cannot do it. I understand others will do different.

I am sticking to the mantra that this will all return to more normal sooner than later. Of course the possibility exists that it may take awhile.

But who knows. We'll just have to see.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19089 | Registered: September 21, 2005Report This Post