SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    .270 Win for big game
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270 Win for big game Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I recently inherited a 1953 vintage Winchester Model 70 in .270 Win.

Yes, it shoots about how you would expect. Amazing.

I am looking for advice and experience with hunting bullets. I want to start loading for sheep, moose, and deer. It won't be my primary rifle for grizzly but I would like to find a load that will do, in an emergency.

Right now, I'm going with the Hornady Interlock 140 gr pill. What do y'all think of it, in this role?

My other consideration was the Nosler Partition, hoping for more penetration.

Moose are pretty soft, unless you are trying to smash both shoulders with one bullet. Grizzlies are just tanks.

Thoughts?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I don’t own or load the 270, but the 140 grain Hornady interlock sounds about right. I have used the 165 grain interlock a lot with the 308 for deer. Once one gets to an adequate big game bullet, placement starts to become much more important than relatively small differences in construction. I have seen this play out many times over the years.

As one goes with a smaller round for the intended game, I can see using the very best bullet possible. As an example, using the 223 for deer hunting.

I had a gunsmith who used a 243 for elk hunting, worked for him. He was very disciplined picking shots, private ranch, modest range, good bullet.

Being a reloader, part of the shtick is creating a top load for the hunt. I was elk hunting about 5 years ago, 300WSM. There are endless choices with 30cal hunting bullets. I loaded the classic 180 grain partition, but I liked the accuracy of the 165 grain Sierra gameking better. If one did a net poll, the 165 grain gameking would seem to blasé to get in the top 10 listing. As events(and luck) transpired I was offered a closer shot on a 5x5 bull, one shot in the neck & my hunt was over.

I just came back helping with a relative who guides for black bear hunting. He had 3 hunters this period, outcome was 2 bear that each went less than 40 yards & one wounded, not recovered. The one wounded had zero to do with bullet quality, 30-06. I know another guy who wounded an elk years ago, he was talking about a bigger gun, at first I thought he was joking. He related the story of shooting the elk in the butt with his 300WSM, 150 grain ballistic tip factory load. I can easily find a few problems with how events played out for him.

I’ll sit around the woodstove & talk bullets with the best of them. In the end I then fall back to proper placement of whatever suitable bullet will be used.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
100% agree on shot selection and placement.

I'm fairly confident in the Interlock not exploding if it hit something substantial. I don't plan to aim at shoulder bones but I'm fairly certain it would destroy 1 shoulder on a moose with likely damaging both lungs.

I feel like the Partition would probably do 1 shoulder, both lungs, and a guaranteed exit wound even if it hit the offside shoulder.

I would be less puckered about shooting a grizzly with the Partition but that's probably all in my head. Only my 45/70 would make me confident, there.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I've taken several Elk with my Model 70 using the Winchester 130gr Silver tips. Longest shot was over 300 yards. Most recent was a cow at 150 yards thru the shoulder. She didn't go very far before she became hooves up. Yes, placement is everything.

I would use the same bullet for Moose but would want a little more lead for a grizzly.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5757 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I think I would like to try out a monolithic like this:
https://www.hornady.com/bullet...al-.277-130-gr-cx#!/

It expands at the tip but it's solid copper, all the way through.

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
You won't need anything more than what's in your OP. Of course that will get boring, so you'll likely try all kinds of stuff...only to reach for the good ol' interlocks again.

That's been my own experience anyway.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I've always shot the heaviest tactical bullet weight for any given cartridge. For the .20 that's the 150gr. You might want to check 3 Bears out on KGB, a few weeks ago they had Nosler 150gr. loads.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11769 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
150 grains is a very heavy bullet for .20 caliber.
Smile
Typo and missed the "7"?

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1548 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
I've always shot the heaviest tactical bullet weight for any given cartridge. For the .20 that's the 150gr. You might want to check 3 Bears out on KGB, a few weeks ago they had Nosler 150gr. loads.

My local grocery store.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
I've taken several Elk with my Model 70 using the Winchester 130gr Silver tips. Longest shot was over 300 yards. Most recent was a cow at 150 yards thru the shoulder. She didn't go very far before she became hooves up. Yes, placement is everything.

I would use the same bullet for Moose but would want a little more lead for a grizzly.

The 130gr Silvertip was my preferred round for Whitetail Deer up here, whenever I used my grandfather's Model 70. I never shot moose with it, but one of my uncles did.
No experience with bear and this combo.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I've killed a bunch of deer with a couple of .270's. I've also killed quite a few deer with Partitions in a .243 Win. I choose that bullet for the smaller caliber 243 because my main rule for big game is "punch two holes."

So that said, I'm a big fan of the Partition and would trust it in any chambering. I've actually killed more deer with a solid copper Barnes bullet in the .270Win. That bullet always punches two holes, as well.

Interlocks are readily available and I've killed a deer or two with them in 270Win. I recently zeroed a rifle for my sister with Interlocks and I trust their construction on medium game but they are not as well-constructed as the Partition imo. The Hornady Interbond is more like the Partition. I would be worried about fragmentation and limited penetration at close ranges on a moose with the Interlock. (Same as Nosler Ballistic Tips.)

I think I would opt for 150gr if I was after a moose and definitely a grizz. And I would probably stay with a solid copper bullet. I am also using solid copper in my 7x57 (Nosler E-tip.) I am completely sold on the terminal performance of soli copper.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10491 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post