SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    What is the softest shooting .45acp for a senior?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the softest shooting .45acp for a senior? Login/Join 
Picture of Speedbird
posted
Family member has been struggling with his 9mm M&P Shield (Compact); racking the slide and loading mags. To the point he is not shooting nearly as often, nor as long and today did not seem to enjoy himself after a few rounds/reloads.

I was thinking of letting him borrow my P220; Slide manipulation seems easy to me; loading the larger .45 in the single stack is definitely easier; and the full size frame might be easier to handle... He seems hesitant, fearing the .45 will aggravate his physical limitations, mostly psychological if you ask me.

What would be the lightest/softest shooting off the shelf .45acp I could have him try?

(FWIW he also has a Ruger .22 that he likes to warm up with and likes the cheap ammo for, but I know he likes to put some real lead downrange (And hates loading the .22)

Posts: 502 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife had the same issue with her Shield. She now carries the Shield EZ and LOVES it. Slide racks like a .22 and mags are stupid easy to load. Has been 100% reliable with several different loads. Ugly as hell, but solves a common problem.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8765 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Buffalo bore makes soft shooting 45 ammo.

https://www.buffalobore.com/in...l=product_list&c=137

You would need a 12-14 lb recoil spring in a 1911, but I bet a P220 would cycle them. It's damn expensive, one reason I still look at reloading...

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
This is one of those situations where being a reloader would be a huge advantage.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Needs a 22 LR loader--the Speed Beez. Not expensive-makes reloading Ruger Mark, Buckmark or S&W Victory super easy.
https://www.speedbeez.com/prod...ltimate-clip-loader/

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
My wife had the same issue with her Shield. She now carries the Shield EZ and LOVES it. Slide racks like a .22 and mags are stupid easy to load. Has been 100% reliable with several different loads. Ugly as hell, but solves a common problem.

+1
My friend has a .380 EZ Shield and I poked fun of it for a bit. Then he was in a motorcycle accident, broke both wrists, surgery, slow recovery and a year later is still not 100%.
It's now the perfect gun for him.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p220cop
posted Hide Post
I can highly recommend Federal Syntech Action Pistol in .45 I use it in my vintage Sig P220's and Browning BDA. It has a very light and pleasant recoil impulse. Clean up is easy as well. Stellar ammunition for your purpose.

https://www.federalpremium.com...ol/11-AE45SJAP1.html

Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done........

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I'm an amazing beautiful soul. Another person will say I'm a cold-hearted asshole. Believe them both. I act accordingly......

Posts: 142 | Registered: June 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Winchester 185 grain FMJ and Silvertip HP are both noticeably softer shooting in my alloy framed Kimber than 230 grain loadings.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding gun choices, any sa or sa/ da is better, as you can cock the hammer first to reduce racking slide force. Once chambered, the only issue then is clearing malfunctions, which are more likely if you have an admittedly weak grip.
I had a 9mm government Model for awhile. Very easy to rack.

Posts: 3286 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post