SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Which 30-06 ammo for 1939 Winchester Model 70?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 30-06 ammo for 1939 Winchester Model 70? Login/Join 
posted
Hello,

I have an old 30-06 and would like to know which ammo I should look at. Reloading soft loads is not something I can do now. Is the Garand ammo soft or hot? or are there other options I should look at?

Thanks

Dan

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about it. Your Model 70 can handle any normal commercial .30-06 loads. Buy several different types and try them out to find which one your rifle likes best, accuracy-wise.

Early .30-06 semiautos like the Garand were built around a specific pressure curve, and risk potential damage if firing large amounts of modern hot commercial loads that overstress the semiauto operating system, hence the "Garand safe ammo".

Some early M1903 rifles had receivers were not properly heat treated and risk damage when firing.

And some older pre-1900 rifle designs that were built around black powder pressures cannot safely handle modern commercial smokeless powder loads due to the higher pressure.

But none of those are a concern with your 1939 .30-06 Model 70.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Early model 70's are rock solid and can shoot any factory load you throw at it.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post