SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Streak Ammo? Tracer Ammo that's not incendiary.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Streak Ammo? Tracer Ammo that's not incendiary. Login/Join 
Picture of Stuntman22
posted
Bought two boxes at a gun show this weekend in Matamoris, PA. Could be the worst Gun Show I've ever been to, but I digress. Kinda cool idea, that the muzzle flash transfers light energy to the projectile so you can actually see it going down range. They say it won't burn my range down but I think the Gestapo Range Officers at my range might still have a coronary. I think it could be cool, or it could just be the pyromaniac in me?

Has anyone tried it?

https://ammoinc.com/product-ca...y/streak-ammunition/

Posts: 114 | Location: United States | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Someone brought some in to work. It's not that bright. He had red and green streak ammo.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While in Vietnam I kept my .45 loaded with tracer-ball ammo all the time. Very useful in darkness and low light situations.

We had 20-round magazines for the M16 rifle which we loaded with (from the top) 1-tracer, 4-ball, 1-tracer, 4-ball, 1-tracer, 4-ball, then 3 tracers (18 rounds total to avoid feeding problems with full mags). In full auto mode there would be a tracer in nearly every burst, and the final 3 tracers were a visual reminder that it was time to reload.

I'm still hoarding a couple of boxes of .45 tracer-ball ammo, and I have been known to load the last two rounds in my magazines with tracers. Could be a timely reminder that I'm running on empty.

Aircraft using 7.62 mini-guns also had a tracer as every 5th round. At about 2000 rounds per minute it was like a laser beam coming down from the sky, and the sound was like a huge zipper being pulled. Mini-guns were used on fixed wing close air support C-130 aircraft, also on UH-1 helicopter gunships and AH-1 Cobra attack helicopters.

Of course, in a combat zone we didn't worry overly much about incendiary effect. The light show during a night fire fight was impressive. The commie 7.62 tracers were an eerie green, while all of our tracers were red. Bullets zipping by overhead, deflecting and tumbling, spiraling off into the sky.

One thing about tracers that bears some thought: using tracers shows the enemy exactly where you are. The basic rule is to shoot and move, shoot and move.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1091 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Someone brought some in to work. It's not that bright. He had red and green streak ammo.

I don't see green on the website. Their videos leave a lot of questions - lots of smoke in the rooms & it looks like they are using camera tricks to exaggerate the trail. Then they say 'only visible from the shooter'
Gimmick. I doubt I'll try any, but it would be cool if they had different colors.

Posts: 3296 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
I tried some 9mm red at night and I could follow the arch of the bullet fall out to 100 yards.

Fun and practical to watch.

Posts: 492 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
"Our exclusive STREAK technology is only visible within 30º of the shooter’s point of view. This means you can see the STREAK, but it doesn’t point back to your position."

This sounds like technology that might have come out of the Army's One-Way Luminescence (OWL) program.

From the Army's FY22 Budget documentation: "Project EP4, One-Way Luminescence for Small Caliber Ammo: The One Way Luminescence (OWL) project is a critical technology development in response to the 7.62mm and 5.56mm Families of Ammunition Capabilities Development Documents (CDD) and .50 Caliber Munitions CDD. Current small caliber ammunition tracer rounds are a pyrotechnic tracer mix which allows enemy forces to see the trace round and track its trajectory back to the shooter. The OWL projects objective is to develop and field a full tracer round, replace the current pyrotechnic cartridges with trace cartridges that are only visible to the shooter and soldiers in close proximity, increasing soldier survivability, and increasing lethality by incorporating Enhanced Performance Round (EPR) technology into the new tracer ammunition. 7.62mm and 5.56mm are the immediate focus; later followed by .50 Caliber cartridges and Next Generation Squad Weapons (NGSW) ammunition. Fiscal Year (FY) 2022 funding will support continuing Engineering and Manufacturing Development (EMD), performing Production Qualification Testing (PQT), conducting Live Fire Test and Evaluation (LFT&E), conducting a Critical Design review (CDR), conducting a Limited User Evaluation (LUE), and performing preparation activities for manufacturing at the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant (LCAAP) in preparation for Low-Rate Initial Production (LRIP) for the 7.62mm variant. FY 2022 funding will also support EMD efforts, a Preliminary Design Review (PDR), Pre-Production Qualification Testing (PPQT), and a Soldier Touch Point STP / User Evaluation for the 5.56mm variant. FY 2022 also supports assessing OWL technologies for the potential to adapt the technology into other small caliber ammunition variants."

[Exhibit R-2, RDT&E Budget Item Justification: PB 2022 Army, PE 0604802A: Weapons and Munitions - Eng Dev, R-1 Line #108]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 229DAK,

Posts: 8999 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post