SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Hornady Critical Defense .22 mag in rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Critical Defense .22 mag in rifle Login/Join 
posted
This is not an official review of this ammo, just a short note about an outing I had this week. I recently obtained a Ruger American rifle in .22 magnum and put a Redfield Revolution 2-7 x 33 on it. I used a couple of Fiocchi loadings to sight it in at 100 yds at the house but went out to Central Texas this week to hunt turkey and took this setup to try out more ammo on plastic jugs and eggs.

I had found a case of the Hornady Critical Defense 45 grain ammo not long ago for just a bit more than cheaper 22 mag so took a couple of boxes along. It is marketed as pistol ammo with a hollow point bullet and a plastic looking plug in the middle and I thought it would be interesting to see how it performed out of a rifle. All I can say is 'wow'.

We never even shot the jugs and eggs, just the prickly pear pads that were everywhere. From 30-80 yds, that rifle/ammo combo was dead on. And the devastation was surprising. Each round blew a 1-2" hole through each pad. Even the entrance hole was huge. It was nothing but green mist covering everything behind it after every shot.

The Fiocchi JSP ammo was just as accurate but you could barely tell where you hit the pear. Some blew a small chunk out of the back side but nothing like the Hornady.

I wouldn't use the Critical Defense on small game in a survival setting as meat might be unrecoverable but in my opinion, it would be a very effective self defense round if all you found yourself with was a rifle full of it. For what it's worth.

bb

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
People underestimate the power of the 22 mag. It's not ideal but it punches way beyond it's weight.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Some of the hunting camps around here use .22 Mag for eliminating problem hogs. The standard gun is the stainless Marlin with the synthetic stock that used to be widely available at Walmart.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I had considered this load for my NAA Mini revolvers but I found some information online that these heavy-for-caliber slugs tend to keyhole in short barrels.

In rifles, it seems to be good to go, but not short barreled pstols.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post