SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Revolver rounds - is everyone else scarce on .38?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolver rounds - is everyone else scarce on .38? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
So I have a couple of revolvers that I cannot get out to shoot because there is no 38 special ammo out there. At least for practice. I can pay out the Wazoo for hollow points / carry ammo, but I would prefer not to. Is anyone else struggling with the same thing?

Posts: 1956 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It was bad around here for a while, but I'm starting to see it show up again, particularly defensive ammo but I've also seen cowboy loads and some light jacketed stuff lately. Prices are still not great, but not as outrageous as they were 6 months ago.

If component supply ever recovers, you might think about reloading for the .38/.357. It's an easy one to start on, revolvers won't lose your brass, and factory ammo is expensive enough that you'll actually save a good deal of money loading for it.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
There are several online sites where you can find target ammo for your 38. It's fairly expensive but not nearly as much as carry ammo. I was looking for some and went to ammoseek.com. It's a site that tells you which suppliers have ammo and what the prices are. They are listed in order of price. Give it a try if you want. I was surprised at how much 38 special is out there.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1853 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ammo Inc is available here at $28 per 50

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I recently bought two or three boxes of Winchester 38 special at the nearby academy sports.
$27 or $28 per box of 50 rounds.
Kind of expensive but I had none and wanted to get acquainted with my revolvers again.

Posts: 4121 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
.38 fmj was well over $35 locally last year when and if it was available. Now I think I spotted closer to $30 and more than 1 brand. Still way more than I would pay for blasting ammo. I am hand loading all of my .38 practice ammo these days.

Posts: 3121 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
So I have a couple of revolvers that I cannot get out to shoot because there is no 38 special ammo out there.

ammoseek -- 38 special

386 items for 38 special on the search. 100 items per page. I did a quick review of the first page only -- every item I saw was FMJ or round nose or similar. Yep, looks like there's nothing out there.

Posts: 7844 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started reloading ammunition in 1972, then started casting my own bullets in 1973. First caliber I worked with was .38 Special (young cop, my duty gun and off-duty piece).

Last time I remember buying factory .38 Special ammunition was about 1986 or so. Federal +P 158SWC-HP for duty use.

Still shooting .38 Special. Probably 5000 cases or so, about 2500 rounds loaded and in the ammo locker for range use. Still salvaging lead from several sources. Looks like about 2000 cases now sized, primed, case mouths expanded for seating bullets, all I have to do is charge with powder and seat bullets (which I have ready to go also).

Using home-made cast bullets from salvaged wheel weights and printers lead I used to figure about $0.68 per 50-round box of practice ammo. Today, still using pre-panic supplies of primers and powder, I figure my costs at about $3.00 per box.

Yeah, I'm bragging a little bit. But my point is that if you aren't reloading your own ammo you will always be at the mercy of the marketplace. The set-up costs are minimal, and you will recover those expenses within the first 1000 rounds or so.

My equipment (press, dies, powder scale, powder measure, etc) has paid for itself a hundred times over the years. While other people dull their minds on prime-time TV I spend an hour here, and a few hours there, processing brass, casting bullets, and I always have all the ammo I need or want.

I'm an old guy. I have 9 grandchildren and 6 great-grandkids now. None of them seem to know that ammo can be bought in stores. They all send their brass to Grampa's house when they need more.

Enjoy your day!

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1091 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
https://georgia-arms.com/38-special-1/

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lobo has the right idea. 38 Special is one of the easiest calibers to reload. Single stage press, dies, components, scale for powder measuring and a .38 ammo gauge and away you go. Problem today of course is primers; most everything else should be obtainable. A plus is that it doesn’t take much more to add the capability to make .357 magnum ammo too.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I still have a bunch of .357 that I loaded, but I have noticed how expensive .38 and .357 had been.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Academy here has .38 Spec, but no .357.

I found 30-30, 45-70, and 243 at Walmart last week, but couldn't get anyone to open the stupid case.

Local shop here KY Gun Co had pallets of primers last Saturday for $99 a brick not sure if they ship.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Local Dunhams and Bass Pro have plenty of .357 but no .38. I reload and have a boatload of .38's loaded. Picked up some .357 personal defense loads.

Nick
nick_mur

Posts: 98 | Location: Peoria IL | Registered: December 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Yeah here inCA we have to buy ammo at a store. So I’m struggling to find it on shelves.

I think the reloading route is the way to go.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caribouhunter
posted Hide Post
SGAmmo has been getting rounds from time to time. Inventory ebbs and flows. Worth a check every once in a while.

Posts: 420 | Location: White Lake TWP. - Michigan | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big .38/.357 Revolver fan I have 8 or so green ammo cans full of assorted rounds found some with 8.50 price tags on them

Posts: 435 | Location: rocky river ohio | Registered: February 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Targetsports usa and Top gun Supply have had .38 in stock.

Posts: 4538 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with lobo, also been reloading for decades, more 38’s than probably anything else, one of the calibers you save the most on reloading versus using factory.
Pre panic basic 38 plinking loads like 158 lead round nose were around $20 even buying cast bullets my pre panic price to reload a box was under $5, so could reload four times as much ammo for the same cost.
I have drained my once ample primer supply and will be happy to restock primers some day when they drop below $60 per thousand

Posts: 3266 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
I started reloading ammunition in 1972, then started casting my own bullets in 1973. First caliber I worked with was .38 Special (young cop, my duty gun and off-duty piece).

Last time I remember buying factory .38 Special ammunition was about 1986 or so. Federal +P 158SWC-HP for duty use.

Still shooting .38 Special. Probably 5000 cases or so, about 2500 rounds loaded and in the ammo locker for range use. Still salvaging lead from several sources. Looks like about 2000 cases now sized, primed, case mouths expanded for seating bullets, all I have to do is charge with powder and seat bullets (which I have ready to go also).

Using home-made cast bullets from salvaged wheel weights and printers lead I used to figure about $0.68 per 50-round box of practice ammo. Today, still using pre-panic supplies of primers and powder, I figure my costs at about $3.00 per box.

Yeah, I'm bragging a little bit. But my point is that if you aren't reloading your own ammo you will always be at the mercy of the marketplace. The set-up costs are minimal, and you will recover those expenses within the first 1000 rounds or so.

My equipment (press, dies, powder scale, powder measure, etc) has paid for itself a hundred times over the years. While other people dull their minds on prime-time TV I spend an hour here, and a few hours there, processing brass, casting bullets, and I always have all the ammo I need or want.

I'm an old guy. I have 9 grandchildren and 6 great-grandkids now. None of them seem to know that ammo can be bought in stores. They all send their brass to Grampa's house when they need more.

Enjoy your day!

I guess I'll brag a little too. My Dad started me reloading in 1955 and casting bullets too, as components were hard to find in those days, kind of like today.

And even if you reload, you can be at the mercy of the marketplace if you don't stock up. I saw the writing on the wall when the first primer shortage happened back when Slick Willie got elected the first time and I stocked up on everything so I can ignore the marketplace.

quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
Yeah here inCA we have to buy ammo at a store. So I’m struggling to find it on shelves.

I think the reloading route is the way to go.

Sooner or later the idiots running Kali are going to go after reloading I'm sure. They're just unaware it exists right now or they would've already gone after it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Flash-LB,

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Link SGA Ammo

Not cheap, but available

Posts: 11810 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post