SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Preferred 9mm Brand for Range
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preferred 9mm Brand for Range Login/Join 
posted
What is your preferred 9mm brand for range? I have had good luck with 124 gr. Speer Lawman and Magtech. Hoping to find Black Friday deals.

Posts: 93 | Location: Down South | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ihbwotrr:
What is your preferred 9mm brand for range? I have had good luck with 124 gr. Speer Lawman and Magtech. Hoping to find Black Friday deals.

I prefer Federal AE in 124... that said I am not too picky and will use Blazer Brass as a secondary brand. I stay away from steel (personal preference) and definitely factory new only. I work PT as an RSO at a range and seen a few squibs on reloads..

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2667 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Over the past 20 years, I have shot many thousands of Blazer aluminum. In addition, I have shot Blazer brass, CCI, Winchester, Remington, and others. Not sure I have a favorite as extreme accuracy is not my goal. I just want to shoot and have fun.

Posts: 5615 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer Blazer. I've never had one problem shooting these. A couple of months ago I was in Bass Pro and bought two boxes of Herter's. Was perhaps the crappiest ammo I've ever purchased,

Posts: 124 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: January 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Herters is made by Winchester.

Posts: 3183 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Anything with a good reloadable brass case and I try to stay with American brands only because the brass is better to preload, I think.

Precision Delta, Blazer, Winchester, Federal, Remington. Super-Vel and Precision Delta make some good remanufactured ammo as well.

S&B, Fiochi, Norma, MagTech is good ammo, not as smooth reloading.

No steel case, aluminum case only if it’s super cheap.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8342 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We as a group have shoot over 14000 rounds in a week using LAX new ammo. Not one issue! I switch between them a Blazer Brass - I try and buy in bulk for a good price. Also, Lawman are very consistent in performance.

Posts: 85 | Location: NW of Tampa Fl | Registered: August 05, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

That explains a lot.

Posts: 124 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: January 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I think it depends on when you got it. I understand the current stuff is Winchester. The contract prior was S&B.

quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

Posts: 5615 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Just for punching holes in paper? Whatever is the cheapest I can find.
Same if I'm working on drills for action shooting.
I only care about the quality when I'm shooting a match or for what's loaded for personal protection.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting a lot of this lately, without issues.

https://normashooting.com/shop...ers=ammocaliber[106]

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I generally go for the best deals. Before “The Plague” I bought some MEN and Lawman 9mm; outstanding!

Posts: 93 | Location: Down South | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
I've been shooting a lot of this lately, without issues.

https://normashooting.com/shop...ers=ammocaliber[106]

The boxed Norma appears GTG.
Beware the "bulk" Norma in 9mm and 223 - I'm aware of a few people that have found quality issues and numerous reports of the same all around the webs............

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4570 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot cases of Federal American Eagle and Speer Lawman through a SIG p320 FS, P320 Compact/Xcompact in 124 and 147 without issue. I've also shot the same rounds through a P365 without issue (less then a case).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CD228,

Posts: 4576 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use range ammo that is closest to spec of my carry ammo.

For 9mm: carry Federal HST 124; range Sellier Bellot 124.
For .40: carry Federal HST 165; range American Eagle 165.

Training with similar ammo spec provides consistency with recoil, etc.

"Integrity - Not Popularity"

Posts: 8 | Registered: June 11, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Federal, Blazer brass, WWB, remington umc in that order.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post