SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Anyone have experience using polymer composite cases?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have experience using polymer composite cases? Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted
Anyone have experience using composite polymer cases like these?

www.tvammo.com

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31421 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’ve shot some of the US Military blue plastic bullets years ago, they had a brass base and a polymer bullet and most of the case. They wouldn’t cycle a semiauto but worked fine in a bolt gun. Or used single shot for quals in shortened ranges indoors….they were for training

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Yes back in the 1980s a machinist coworker was working part time for a guy that was using brass heads with polymer cases trying to sell the concept to the military. I still have a box of 38 Special and a 50 BMG round left. In testing I found neck tension for the bullet to be lacking and or inconsistent.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
I found neck tension for the bullet to be lacking and or inconsistent.

This company claims better accuracy (precision) with their product than with brass cases, but I’m somewhat skeptical for that reason.
It will be interesting to see whether their claims are valid.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'd like to get some once fired .223 polymer cases and play with them a bit.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I had a couple boxes of poly cased ammo from an estate I bought last year,

sold it quickly on the net,

I don't recall the brand, but the cases , IIRC, were gray plastic/poly

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I have never tried any but as I recall they used to available about 15-20 yrs ago.
I think they died out as either being unreliable or uneconomical.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Appears to be similar to ammo used with Simunitions training.
But that is low pressure stuff.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Doesn't make any sense to me for any use at all.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Ive had them in 4 different rifle rounds but never fired them. Some were DAC manufacture and practice rounds. These new Truevelocity rounds are pitched for military use. Mainly the 6.8 round can be used in various full autos like the SAW. They actually claim great accuracy and quite higher velocity. Believe I saw a 20% increase in velocity. The Browning linked belts in the video worked perfect. Then there is the reduction in weight as opposed to brass cased rounds. The new poly rounds have a stainless steel case head. All thats required to use them are barrel swaps. Better cartridge performance.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As pictured here, the True Velocity 6.8mm cartridge submission to the Army uses a case that appears to provide much more support to the bullet than the cases of cartridges like the 223 and 308 do. A totally new cartridge and case design can do that, but I would think that avoiding neck tension problems with plastic (or “composite”) cases of traditional design would be much more difficult.

It will be interesting to see if polymer cases are finally successful after having been experimented with for so long. I have always sort of assumed that someone would figure out how to make them work. As the articles that discuss them make clear there are significant advantages to the idea, especially for military use, and if countless shooters are willing to use steel cased ammo for making noise and kicking up berm dust, why not polymer if it works at least as well?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Doesn't make any sense to me for any use at all.

But it does for the military. They could carry 30% more ammo.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
I sold about 8k of the PCA Spectrum ammo back in the early 2000's when it was discontinued. Bought it cheap sold it for a bunch! Fired a few hundred, while I never had any issues with it others had the brass head pull off leaving the poly case in the chamber. It never caught on though.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I have always thought poly-cased ammo would have issues in full auto, e.g., M249 and M240 machine guns. Fire a couple hundred rounds and stop...will the cartridge case in the chamber melt into goo?

Posts: 9031 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Tried some Russian plastic-cased .223 somewhere around 15 years ago. To this day that's the only ammo I've ever shot where the rifle tried to simultaneously load two cartridges into the chamber. Far more of a PITA than it was worth.

Then again, that was years ago and that was Russian commercial ammo. I'd be willing to try an updated attempt at making it work, and I'd be thrilled if it did work.

The thing is, if they can make it work for the relatively high pressure 6.8 Army ammo in automatic weapons then I would suspect that making it work for civilian ammunition would be a piece of cake.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post