SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Wolf Steel Case 223 is the source of all my woes.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wolf Steel Case 223 is the source of all my woes. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
I have a thread on my fixed mag AR getting jammed really badly. Figured out it was the Wolf steel case. But from what I read, the issue should merely be from having switched from steel case back to brass. The steel doesn't expand like brass, allows more blowback gunk in the chamber and the rounds don't seat properly. The consensus of a few YouTube channels and the article in my rifle thread is that going to brass after steel without thorough cleaning is an issue.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/6550055594

So my thought was to use the steel case on my Mini 14. It's not fixed mag, so jams are easier to clear, and I will stick to the Wolf until it's gone. I bought a damn case of it during Covid when you couldn't find anything else. I had the new AR and the Mini, so I wanted to shoot.

Well, out this morning, shot about 35 rounds before the Mini jammed. Dropped a round in the chamber and sure enough it doesn't drop all the way and and needs to be pushed.

This sucks. I probably have 750 rounds of the Wolf. If I can't even get through 40 rounds without having to clean this will suck. I suppose I should sell it but I don't want to sell someone else my problems.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12400 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sent you an email

PC

Posts: 1329 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Sorry not my intention to sell it here. If I went that route it would go in the classifieds. But I’m not sure I want the hassle of shipping it. If I sell it I will do it locally.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12400 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have shot tens of thousands of rounds of steel case Eastern European ammo in an AR. A lot of it was Wolf.

I don't doubt you, but I never had one bit of trouble with any of it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Some guns are more forgiving than others, more so like an AK in 7.62x39.

I’d make sure the chamber is clean, then try to use it up in one of your guns. Even if it can only go 40 rounds before jamming it still has a use.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ffhounddog
posted Hide Post
Is your rifle 5.56 or .223 wylde? .223 wylde barrels gives me fits than 5.56 barrels with steel case ammo.

Posts: 311 | Location: Huntsville, AL | Registered: January 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I have shot tens of thousands of rounds of steel case Eastern European ammo in an AR. A lot of it was Wolf.

I’ve never had major issues, either. Perhaps your chamber is on the tighter side of the spec tolerances?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Just so everyone in here isn't saying "I've never had a problem with steel case"... I absolutely have. My most catastrophic malfunctions ever have been from steel cased wolf getting stuck in my ARs chamber. Shoots like a dream in both my 7.62 and 5.45 AKs, though.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
5.56 barrel. I haven't had a chance to clean and try again. But this stuff did the same to my AR. I don't think it's my chamber.

These go to eleven.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If you feel bad about selling problem ammo to someone else, I would suggest that full disclosure that it's Russian steel cased ammo should be sufficient.

I'm not familiar with the laws is Massacheusetts, but there are a lot of .223/5.56 rifles out there that have no problem with the stuff, including AKs, Galils, HKs and some of the newer EBR designs coming in out of Eastern Europe. If you know anyone with a Zastava or CZ - whether semiauto or bolt action - you have a prime candidate for a potentially happy buyer.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
This is not an ideal solution, but try loading every tenth round in the mag with a brass cased round.

The brass will grab on to much of the fouling and remove it. If you do this after a tremendous amount of fouling builds up, it will indeed jam the gun. If you do it in increments as the fouling builds up, it should allow you to use up your Wolf without excessive cleaning and you will at least get the shooting out of it that you expected.

You will need to start with a reasonably clean chamber.

Posts: 14112 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
This is not an ideal solution, but try loading every tenth round in the mag with a brass cased round.

The brass will grab on to much of the fouling and remove it. If you do this after a tremendous amount of fouling builds up, it will indeed jam the gun. If you do it in increments as the fouling builds up, it should allow you to use up your Wolf without excessive cleaning and you will at least get the shooting out of it that you expected.

You will need to start with a reasonably clean chamber.

I can give this a try. I have 10 round mags, being in a commie state. So simple to put a brass in first and then load with the steel. We will see what happens. I just bought a case of brass 5.56.

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
I bought 2 cases of Wolf 55 grain jhps during the last ammo shortage, during the Obama administration. I think the only worse 223 ammo I've ever put through my 223s is the old Norinco crap that had so much lacquer on the cases it would foul the chambers, and I don't know which one is the most inaccurate. I won't be buying any more of either.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Are you sure you don't have a tight chamber? I had a S&W that didn't like steel cased ammo.

Posts: 7387 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Me either, and what I used was Wolf too.

Posts: 3552 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
We would lightly lube our steel cases, one in ten before running them thru the rifle. That did seem to help, and no jams. At least maybe try this until you get thru your steel rounds to use them up.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post