SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Sig 9mm Self Defense Ammo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 9mm Self Defense Ammo Login/Join 
posted
New owner of 365XL FOR EDC.
Thoughts as compared to Gold Dot or HST?

Posts: 13 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: May 07, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes.

OK, serious answer. I would be fine with either. I generally prefer Gold Dots but would take HSTs or Winchester Rangers with no qualms. Just make sure whatever you chose functions properly in your 365.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I can't tell, b/c the post is unclear, but I think frjeff might be inquiring about SIG V-Crown ammo and how it compares to Gold Dot & HST.

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iron chef is correct.
Have always carried Gold Dot in my .38. Did not even know Sig made ammo until I went to buy 9mm for my new 365XL yesterday.
Bought range ammo to try as well as a box of the Sig V-Crown.
Just curious if any are using the Sig as their edc round.
Will give a try at the range this week to see if the new 365 likes it at least.

Posts: 13 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: May 07, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess I need to read a little closer. Smile

Sorry, I can't help with the V-crown, I have never shot any of it. I haven't heard anything bad about it, but I haven't heard that it is lights better than the old standbys either.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
When I carried a 320, it was loaded with 124gr SIG V-Crowns.
The 320 really seemed to favor 124gr bullets moreso than any other weight, IMO.

Team SIG shooters got a fair amount 124gr V-Crowns to reload, and over Titegroup made for some damn accurate rounds. Wink

I’ve shot a few rounds into water and expansion is similar to HST.
While I don’t think it outperforms the modern SD rounds, I pick it over some of the old style hollow points (Hydra Shoks, Golden Sabres, etc.)

Nowadays, I’ve consolidated my carry ammo across the board. My personal preference is for 147gr HST.
Gold Dots and HST have a proven track record, but again, I’d have no problems loading up SIG’s SD ammo.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot and carried Sig V-Crown 124 9MM a couple times. It was very accurate out of my Glocks, zero malfunctions.

There’s some YouTube videos of people testing in clear and ballistics gel and they seem to do well.

I prefer HST, GDHP, or Rangers, but I’ll use the V-Crown if I can’t get the others.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Good test here on the Sig V-Crown 9MM vs. Remington Golden Saber.

https://youtu.be/HaieSmDoP1E

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10579 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
I am fine with either HST or V-crowns out of my XL and have used both at the range and both function just fine. From what I have seen, the V-crown performance is on par with Gold Dots or HSTs.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Either one makes a good SD/HD round. Find the one that provides you with the best accuracy, and consistency and move from there.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You can compare the rated initial velocities of the rounds. The higher velocity for the same grain would be more effective.

I have a P365XL and I bought Sig V-Crown JHP 9MM 115 gr for it. The box says it's optimized for CCW and I thought it means it's slower going for less recoil in a smaller gun. Of 10 rounds I measured, the average fps was 1155. Lowest was 1134 and highest was 1194.

I can only compare it with the Federal 9mm 115gr JHP Train & Protect. Avg fps was 1138, lowest 1104 and highest 1155. And I'm not really impressed with the expansion results I saw for the ammo but it's what I bought 1,000 rounds of. The box rating is 1180. So that should give you an idea for effectiveness.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19568 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the detailed response.