SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Considering 10MM
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Considering 10MM Login/Join 
posted
Seems like 10MM is becoming the new 40 caliber, is it worth investing in a 10MM firearm or is it a short lived attraction.

Posts: 263 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
What is "short lived" about something firearm related that was born in 1983?

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a 10mm fan. (Just getting that out there at the start. ;-)

If you can handle the larger grip size, 10mm offers everything the .40 has plus more power if you want it. By which I mean 10 mm factory will give you - and most guns will be reliable with - everything from upper end .40 to low end .41 magnum.

While the .40 is fine for self defense against two-legged predators, the hotter 10mm is generally considered adequate (though only barely, according to some) for up to black bear.

With my own guns, the 10mm is also more accurate, but that depends hugely on the specific firearms folks have.

Posts: 327 | Location: Frankfort, Kentucky.  | Registered: November 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 10mm is my favorite cartridges. A friend of mine killed a large charging black bear and has used it to finish off a number of elk. There are two major considerations. One is that not many folks can shoot up to the potential of the cartridge and the second is if you intend to recover your fired brass you have to send out a search party or start in the next county and work your way back to your firing point.

Posts: 160 | Location: Los Lunas, NM | Registered: November 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Considering 10MM

I have the Kimber 10mm. I didn't buy it for protection just to collect it. Ammo is expensive and I don't reload, so that's a major problem. I will probably never take the gun to a tactical course because I can't imagine spending over 30 bucks a box for a course where I would need an average of 1500 to 2000 rounds. Good thing about the Kimber is that it's built on the 1911 platform, so you can practice with a 1911 .45 to improve your skills. Saying all that, I have one, don't carry it and rarely shoot it.

Posts: 90 | Registered: December 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9mm is the new .40 cal.
10mm is the new .41 magnum.

If you want something for duty use, self-defense, and/or cheap range 9mm is replacing .40 in big numbers.

If you want something for field use, something that's a bit different, and something that makes you think "I should really be reloading" the 10mm is for you.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have been a 10mm fan since it was intro. The issue is finding good SD loads, most are watered down quite a bit form what the 10mm is capable of, & cheap practice ammo.
Having said that, most can't handle full power 10mm at the speeds needed to fight with it. More recoil than 45+p, bigger gun than the 40. I love my various 10mm, but not for EDC. For me it is a light trail gun in a g20sf running 200gr WFNL bullets @ 1200fps, the original loading for the 10mm, a bit improved because of the WFN imo.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flhr95:
Seems like 10MM is becoming the new 40 caliber, is it worth investing in a 10MM firearm or is it a short lived attraction.

Technically, 10mm is the old .40.

The new .40 is .40 S&W.

I picked up a Glock 40 not long ago; I haven't been doing 10mm for a while, so getting reacquainted. As someone else noted, to me 10mm represents low-end .41 magnum.

I do like .41 magnum.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
10 mm in Ruger 1911 is an excellent unit.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1523 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Nice article about the history of 10MM in this month's American Rifleman.

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Do it! I have a G40 Glock that is a lot of fun. The 180gr FMJ ammo from SigSauer is a decent power. Much better than American Eagle and the Sig stuff is about $25 a box of $50 and Cabelas has it on sale frequently. I like the Honady 180 XTP for a factory hollow point.

It my next cartridge to reload.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8336 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:

Uh, how old are you?

Or are you just tongue in cheek ignoring the history? Can't tell.

Define "investing."

10mm is here to stay, can't really say that about .40. It never achieved what they said it would.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
10mm is good.

It is even better in a double stack 1911 with a 6 inch barrel. Big Grin

Posts: 9103 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buddy of mine picked up the new Springfield XDM 10mm. He's always been a .40 fan. After shooting it at the range he's considering selling all of his .40's and buying more 10mm.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a couple of hog hunting videos where the shooter was using a 10mm. One was a Glock and one was a long slide Dan Wesson. Very impressive results. One shot dropped a hog in its tracks and and then put an impressive hole in the tree behind the hog. Only footage with a handgun that I have seen that was more impressive was a .454 Casull.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I'm also considering a 10mm. I've shot it before, and enjoyed it thoroughly. but I don't know that I'd trade my daily 9mm carry gun for the 10mm.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the 10mm. I don’t need one myself. For CC the 9,40, or 45acp is fine. I have a Ruger 44 and two 45 Colts for more serious ‘woods carry’.

I have nothing against the 10mm, have enough to reload for as it is. Truth be known, my 40’s are enough for a woods walk. If I go to griz country I may step it up. I like lightweight.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like 10mm. I have a S&W 1006 that I shoot regularly. I also just bought a PCC in 10mm manufactured by TNW firearms out in OR. Put about 250 rounds through it last weekend and it seems to be functioning fine. 10mm has a nice flat trajectory out to around 100 yds. I picked up a bunch of PPU HP ammo a few years ago for about $19 per box. Just have to watch for deals on it.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

This history of the 10mm, in 25 words or less: It was created, the FBI adopted it, the FBI dropped it, it faded into relative obscurity. Colt produced the Delta Elite, which some argue kept it on life support. Eventually shooters started realizing that maybe there was something in the 10mm, after all, and it surged in popularity.

(Ok, so that was 48 words.)

The 10mm is probably the closest thing to the venerable .357 Magnum revolver cartridge in an auto-loader. The problem is, for a bottom-feeder to support such a cartridge the pistol has to be kind of big and heavy. Then there's the recoil and report. People have become enamoured with powder-puff cartridges like the 9mm Smile

I'll probably acquire a 10mm either in a 1911 or Sig P220. In fact: That's probably next on my list.

I don't think it's going anywhere. If nothing else: It makes for a decent hunting round.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy shooting 10mm in my Glock 20SF. Keep in mind there is a significant difference between the Underwood 10mm and other underpowered 10mm loads like Armscor. Less felt recoil than 44mag in my opinion.

Guns are always investments.LOL

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post