SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Anyone shot any new cci stangers? reviews?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone shot any new cci stangers? reviews? Login/Join 
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted
Has anyone shot any of cci's new .22 stangers in their handguns? Couldn't find anything about them in the search and was wondering what your impressions of them were.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1853 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
According to the below video, “Stangers” are exactly the same load as the venerable Stinger. Because that guy pronounced it Stanger, there was some sort of movement started for CCI to call them that as well. That’s the name on a limited edition(?) packaging and they’re reportedly available in a 100 round pack rather than 50 rounds for Stingers, but according to him the loads are the same. There are many YouTube video reviews of Stingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii-lviW-aZQ

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
CCI Stingers are a light-ish weight round that comes smokin' out of the muzzle at exceedingly high velocity.

Not characteristics that lend themselves to stability or accuracy, yes?

I presume one can expect the same out of CCI Stangers.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I was looking for some mini-mags but none of the local shops had them. These were the only ones that were not standard velocity that I could find. They have the same velocity as the stingers according to CCI's website. I wanted something with a little more oomph for breaking in the new Victory I bought for my granddaughter. Looks like we'll finally get to shoot it in the next couple of days.

Posts: 1853 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
They have the same velocity as the stingers according to CCI's website.

Yep. Because they're just Stingers with a different label on the box.

It's a marketing stunt. Like CCI's "Choot 'em" Mini Mags from several years back.

Exact same ammo, packaged in a slightly different "special edition" box.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
It's a limited edition packaging Stinger based on the drawl of 22Plinkster on youtube. Standard Stinger load.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a genuinely new 29gr 22LR, Federal claims 1070 fps from a 2" barrel:

https://www.shootingillustrate...r-punch-defense-ammo

Previous discussion:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...190073184#2190073184

Posts: 15895 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I can check the YouTube and stuff but was just wondering if any of the membership had had any first hand experiences of their own with that ammo. I'd like to think those would be more reliable.

Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Update and a fuster cluck. Took my granddaughter to finally get to break in her new Victory. Numerous jams, stovepipes, and failures to eject. Stupid me never did enough research to find out the cases are a little longer than regular 22LR. Didn't even get to find out if it was only the ammo and not the gun but thinking it's the ammo. I did read today that lots of guns have trouble with ejection with the longer cases and failures to go into battery also. Wish I had read that sooner and wouldn't have bought that expensive ammo. Will try some other ammo next trip since we didn't have time this one. I left there so pissed off you could have seen me steaming. So much for trying to make break in easier and faster. I feel like a freakin' idiot. Really hating disappointing my granddaughter like that. Rant over...

posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good for learning clearance drills. I always used the Mini Mags and have never had trouble with them ever. They are out of stock at Academy and TargetSports. You can put your name on a list to be notified via email. That does work btw.

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Update to my update! Took the Victory to the range today and put 50 rounds of Federal Auto Match through it. It ran like a champ with not one hiccup. That is one accurate little gun. Called my granddaughter with the good news and looks like a range day for us tomorrow. Can't wait for her to get to shoot her new gun with some ammo that works.

posted Hide Post
Different boxes of Federal Auto have produced different results for me. BTW TargetSportsUSA has CCI minimags in stock. 100 rounds for 11.99. Good price.

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We sort of have to take what we can get these days with ammo availability so variable.
When I am not shooting precision 22 events, my plinking ammo could be anything, whatever is on sale or available.
However, I won’t buy Winchester or Remington 22 ammo at all, and only reluctantly federal.
CCI is the only domestic brand of decent quality.
Stingers/ stangers are the exact in different boxes.
I much prefer standard velocity ammo for everything, though some guns especially brand new may need more power to cycle reliably. High velocity like blazer,mini mags are my choice there.
Honestly I have better luck with Mexican aguila than domestic 22 ammo except for CCI.
When my victory was new, I noticed the magazine followers sort of were hesitant to push up when loaded to 10. Certain ammo seemed to make this worse.
A combo of very high slide velocity with the stingers plus a mag spring folllower slow to respond and raise up could have caused your problem.

Posts: 3266 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
the cases are a little longer than regular 22LR

Here's what the S&W M&P 15-22 manual says about Stingers (Stangers?) (Sorry for the 'all caps' but that's how the manual text has it)
quote:
WARNING: NEVER USE CCI® 22 LR STINGER® BRAND AMMUNITION IN YOUR PERFORMANCE CENTER® M&P®15-22 RIFLE. THE PERFORMANCE CENTER® M&P®15-22 RIFLE IS EQUIPPED WITH A 22 LR SEMI-AUTO MATCH GRADE CHAMBER WHICH DOES NOT ACCOMMODATE CCI® 22 LR STINGER® BRAND AMMUNITION.

I wonder whether other firearm models have the same issues? If so might be a good idea for folks to check their manuals before stocking up on Stingers/Stangers.

As an aside... is it the gun makers who screw up not supporting all .22LR ammo, or does the ammo spec for .22LR allow for an unusually loose length spec?

Posts: 14995 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t consider it to be a screw up by either the ammunition or gun manufacturer.
So-called “match” chambers are nothing new for 22 Long Rifle guns, and many competition shooters prefer them because being tighter can improve the gun’s precision. On the other hand, Stingers have been around for decades and fit fine in standard chambers.

I admit I find it somewhat odd that the S&W 15-22 would be made with a match chamber as I wouldn’t consider it to be a gun intended for high precision target shooting. They should make the limitation as obvious as possible, but even then many people aren’t going to discover it until they try shooting Stingers in their 15-22. I suspect that the problems the longer Stinger case cause are chambering and extraction, and would be immediately noticeable.

Or am I missing something? Is the “Performance Center” rifle different from other 15-22 models? Then if it is intended for competition shooting, then the match chamber makes perfect sense, and Stingers aren’t what would normally be fired in such activities.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Is the “Performance Center” rifle different from other 15-22 models? Then if it is intended for competition shooting, then the match chamber makes perfect sense, and Stingers aren’t what would normally be fired in such activities.

Thanks for the update/comments.

Mine is not the "Performance Center" model and I believe that model has features aimed at competition usage.

Posts: 14995 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stinger ammo issues with some 22lr firearms isn't new. From the Rifleman's Guide to Rimfire Ammunition. Printed in 2005.

"The Stinger case is measurably longer compared to most factory .22 long rifle case, 0.10 inches longer.
Like many other hypervelocity offerings, this round either works or doesn't in a particular rifle.
....it just depends on the rifle's chambering and throat."

From the above book, I recall there are other 22lr rounds on the market that don't play well with precisely cut chambers. Such ammo tends to have higher MV and lighter bullets. There's a reason why many firearms manufacturers recommend ammo with sub-sonic to slightly super-sonic MVs, with 40 grain bullets.

Posts: 7844 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My "dog walk" gun Beretta 21a .22lr loves Stingers. I recently shot it at the range with a variety of .22lr loads. I had a few stoppages with everything but Stingers even though I kept the chamber clean between magazines. I'll try the new Federal offering when I can find some but Stinger has been my go to round and will continue to be in this gun. My Ruger 22/45 shoots anything and everything but with the Beretta I use what I know works never a malfunction with Stingers in over 20 years.

Posts: 460 | Registered: January 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
My Beretta 21a ran 50 Punch without any issues. Loved the report - Ran nice in my Mdl 71 as well.

Posts: 492 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post