SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Geco fmj problems
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Geco fmj problems Login/Join 
posted
I was at the range breaking in my new 239 and needed another box of ammo. I asked for a box of .40 and the guy gave me this brand I've never heard of. It ran well at first...then went "bang--bang---pop". I noticed the slide never cycled so checked and had a case (fired) but not eject. So cleared it and went on shooting and then had another couple fail to eject with this brand so stopped using it. I had already fired a box of Seller-Benoit fmj, Winchester Ranger T, HST and Ranger Bonded with no problems so I'd say it was the ammo.
Anyone else run into problems with Geco? I think I'll pass on using it for range ammo any more.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
I’ve only used it in 9mm and a little of the 45. I’ve gone through about 4 or 5 cases of it - mostly 124Gr. No issues at all. I’m currently halfway through a case of the newer white boxed stuff, no issues yet.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not had a problem with this ammo, but have with Fiocchi FMJ. Underpowered loads. Quality control issues. It happens.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used several cases(1000 rd) in 9MM 124 gr. and several cases of .380. Never had a problem with either. S&G Ammo has some good pricing on Geco right now.

Posts: 921 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I've shot a good bit of Geco and never had any issues. I think it's a top tier ammo producer. I suppose anybody can have a bad batch, but I'd be more suspect of where it came from or how it was handled. Did the box look brand new? Worn or dirty? Where did you buy it?

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess it was just a bad batch from the sounds of other experiences here so I may try it again if I can find it cheaper than that box ($20). Nothing about the box or shells showed any obvious issues.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another satisfied Geco user.

According to SG Ammo for 2020 the Geco name is being phased out and it will be sold as Norma.

RUAG Ammotec owns these and other brands.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 1000 rounds in early January. I have 400 left. Zero problems out of 3 different nines.

If I get a good price I would not hesitate to buy it again.

Posts: 82 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When i first picked up my mpx carbine circa 2016. I ordered 3 cases of geco 115. They were drastically under powered for the mpx. Constant failures to eject. Tula 115, wolf 115, and other cheap ass ammo ran fine. Geco was a pain.

I ended up using it in pistols, with much the same issue. At the time i did not have a chrono, i bet they ere under 900fps, as most were clearly not supersonic.

I had geco 45 prior to that in ct, and thought it ran fine. Now i read the reviews more carefully.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DSgrouse,

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Never had problems with GECO 115 or 124 FMJ.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No issues with Geco in 9mm across all my pistols either, only noticed they leave more powder residue/run dirtier than other manufacturers so now I only use them in my polymer guns.

On the other hand, Their .45 fmj works fine and I even use them for my Wilson’s for plinking.

Posts: 258 | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The GECO 124gr is Swiss made with bi metal jacket. That is some good stuff. The 115gr is made in Hungary.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI: I shot up a box and a half of Geco 115 gr. 9mm today. If anything my Geco was hotter than my handloads and CCI Blaser I was shooting for groups.

Posts: 82 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I've used GECO, mostly 9MM and 38 Super. Never an issue of any kind.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see this is a month or so old but I am bored...
NO issues ever with Geco 9mm 124gr, 38 spl or 32ACP. I have shot a lot of it. In fact Gecco and Selior and Belot are the cleanest ammo I have found.
Gecco is also a little hotter than others. I have used it in my Hungarian Frommer Stop that requires a 7.65 hot load that is no longer made (from what I have read) Gecco 32 ACP works fine in it. Others won't cycle the slide consistently.

West German Sig P220, P6, P226, BDA

Posts: 89 | Location: NE Ohio Willoughby | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shot 1000s of rounds of GECO 124Gr. rounds thru an UZI and Sterling SMGs over the years,never a problem.

Posts: 94 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: July 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
GECO used to be an excellent brand when it was made in Germany, NORMA (Sweden) as well. I am not so much a fan since the Ammotec takeover of these companies. Now when you buy GECO (and I assume Norma) it could be made at any RUAG plant.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone else run into problems with Geco?

I only have some 45ACp and it was first class.
Always possible of bad run or incompatibility with your weapon although I have never had that happen to me ever with any handgun ammo.
I have had some mismatch of rifle ammo to some gas guns but that can be a normal occurrence.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve used 9x18 Makarov, 9mm Luger, 45 acp. Never had an issue with this manufacturer.

Posts: 192 | Registered: June 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of GECO in .32 and 9mm. Good ammo - have a fair amount in .22, good ammo always goes bang and decent grouping from my 10/22 - but it is dirty. The .32 and 9mm has been reliable cannot recall a failure.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post