SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    CCI mini mag...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCI mini mag... Login/Join 
posted
What are your preferences for this round? 36g or 40g? Primarily shooting from 10/22 rifles. Is there one that’s better than the other?

Thanks,
CT

Posts: 246 | Location: Damn it's hot! | Registered: September 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what I often will say is buy some of both and see if one is significantly more accurate than the other in your particular gun(s)

you may find a difference / you may not

then - assuming price is comparable - stock up on that

don't think you will find any issues with either in terms of reliability, function, etc

----------------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both the solid point and the HP bullet, and honestly, I don't see a difference in my type of shooting(target).

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P226_operator
posted Hide Post
I like using the 40g for competition since it's copper plated and relatively "clean" shooting. "Relative" being the word for such a thing as "clean" shooting 22lr.

"Make like a Civil Engineer; build a bridge, and get over it!"

Posts: 334 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually choose the copper-plated. As stated its relatively easier to clean than lead bullets.

Posts: 339 | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The HP Mini Mags I’ve been buying are copper plated like the RN ones. Confused

Posts: 26846 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It really kind of depends on what you're trying to do. If you're just throwing rounds down-range for S&Gs, plinking, it probably doesn't much matter--save what your firearm will cycle reliably and whether you want to deal with leading.

If you're going at all for accuracy you have to try a bunch and see what the gun likes. For accuracy that probably won't be Mini-Mags. As their name implies: They run kind of hot. Hot rounds and accuracy usually don't go together.

I've got 5-6 different kinds of match ammo, as well as CCI standard velocity, that I'm going to run through my 77-22 and my Mk I. I'm waiting for an LGS to get Aguila back in stock, then I plan to see which they like for accuracy.

Should be a fun experiment. I've never tried to shoot .22 WRF for accuracy, before. I mean: Beyond hitting what I'm aiming at Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Having shot many years in competition, I like the 40gr best!

Posts: 3395 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I've read ppl claiming the Federal Black Pack 36gr Copper-Plated Hollow-Point (which ppl were buying like crazy last winter due to rebate) is identical to CCI Mini-Mag. Can anyone confirm?

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had issues with my barrel getting leading in my Browning Buckmark with .36 grain lead, so I prefer the copper coated .40 grain. Accuracy seems about the same at 10 yards from my pistol.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I have had great results from the CCI MiniMag 40gr. But, I am equally pleased with the Winchester M22 out to 50 yards with my Ruger 22 Charger.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
I would just try them both out of whatever gun you are going to shoot to see if the barrel has a preference.

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post