SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Crate of ammo I.D. help, please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crate of ammo I.D. help, please Login/Join 
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted
I know we have members that can tell me exactly what I have here. The old paper labels are long gone and my memory is faulty.

I do know it is probably 8mm mauser.

Thanks for any help.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
7.92mm Mauser most likely.

"7.9 Metaka"

Posts: 490 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Yes, But how many? and from where?

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yugoslavia perhaps. 900 round crates for sale on SG Ammo that look much like it.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/...9-spec-brass-case-co

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Looks very similar . Thanks

It is sealed up and I'm loathe to open it and let all that 1950's air out.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep, 1953 Yugoslavian 8mm Mauser ammo.

I have several thousand rounds of 1940s and 1950s Yugo surplus 8mm from back when it was stupid cheap in the early-to-mid 2000s. It's decent for the most part. Some will have hard primers, and require a second strike (on a Mauser 98 that involves lifting the bolt handle to recock then back down and try the trigger again). And it's corrosive, so clean accordingly. But it's way better than the crappy (and borderline unsafe) Turkish 8mm surplus that was available at the same time.

If you can ever get your hands on some of the 1990s Yugoslavian surplus that came into the US in small batches a decade or two back, that's the best surplus 8mm ammo I've tried. Some batches were noncorrosive too. I have about 500 rounds of that left, which I hoard like a dragon.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Way back in the 1960s it was under a dime a round. A gun shop in Norwood, OH would sell whatever it was for under dime a round. I cleansed my closet of the guns and all the ammo by 1970. I don't remember any of it misfiring.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post