SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    124 Gr. Federal HST opinions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

124 Gr. Federal HST opinions Login/Join 
Picture of elberettas
posted
Hello Everyone,

For years my preferred defensive load has been 147 grain Federal HST. I haven't been able to find any lately with all the craziness. I happened to find some 124 grain yesterday. How does this load compare?

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My feedback is completely anecdotal, but the 124gr. load is the one I've seen specced for a while now as top-notch, and the one I personally use in my carry guns.

I don't have the budget to burn up a couple lots vs. barrier, so I go with conventional wisdom. Wink

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1933 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it's great

https://www.luckygunner.com/la...ballistic-tests/#9mm

shoot with confidence

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
The best there is for standard pressure 9mm.

Posts: 5127 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
What the doctor said.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16305 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I like Federal HST and Winchester Ranger "T" series ammo in either 124 or 147 grain (standard pressure) loads. The terminal performance is the same, but I've found the Winchester rounds to have a bit less muzzle flash and felt recoil. YMMV.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10193 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Is 124gr HST +p less good?

Posts: 9954 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Is 124gr HST +p less good?

I don't know, but I'm sure someone will chime in. I chose to stick with standard pressure because of my stamped slide SIG pistols.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
I happened to find some 124 grain yesterday. How does this load compare?

It is better. Just as effective, a bit more accurate, and faster followup shots.

I used to work for and agency to issued Federal HST. We tested both loads extensively before settling on the 124gr

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14179 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
I happened to find some 124 grain yesterday. How does this load compare?

It is better. Just as effective, a bit more accurate, and faster followup shots.

I used to work for and agency to issued Federal HST. We tested both loads extensively before settling on the 124gr

That's good to hear. Thank You!