SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Looking for suggestions on 12 Ga, bear ammo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for suggestions on 12 Ga, bear ammo Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted
We’ll be going to Alaska and the upper reaches of Canada next year and due to Canada’s firearm laws will be taking a 12 gauge pump shotgun.

In researching which ammo to get Brenneke seems to get high marks but I am curious to hear from the Sig braintrust as to what ammo they would suggest for defensive 12 gauge ammo against large bears...

Thanks!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'd want some flavor of heavy monolithic slug in the 500 to 600 grain territory.

Brenneke Black Magic is the gold standard and carried by many LE agencies in areas that deal with large bears: https://www.brennekeusa.com/hu...black-magicr-magnum/

But something like DDupleks Steelhead would also likely work well: https://www.ddupleks-usa.com/steelhead-monolit-32

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, I’d go with slugs too. I take it your gun has a smooth-bore barrel?

Another idea is the largest canister of bear spray available, if you don’t want the paperwork at the border.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I’ll order a couple of boxes so I can have some practice time before we go.

We’ll also be carrying bear spray on us when in camp or hiking. We practiced with bear spray before we took our last trip up North but this trip will be further North and for a longer time frame so I wanted to have additional protection if needed.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would do a very good slug, mixed with OO buck every other round. While a slug is terrific, getting proper placement if a big bear is charging you might be a bit tough, hence the OO buck every other round.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted or encountered a Bear in the wild so I'm no expert on killing or stopping a Bear.
With my knowledge of ballistics and with the certainty needed to stop a huge, dangerous,agressive animal with a shotgun I would choose a 12gauge slug over multiple projectiles. When being suddenly attacked at close range I would imagine one MAYBE two shots are all that will be able to be fired, shot placement maybe a problem.
One huge, heavy slug gets my vote.I would also have to test the accuracy of the sabot slug vs a solid one piece projectile.I'm not sure I want a plastic piece(wad) attached to my flying slug. The KISS principle comes to mind.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:

...I would imagine one MAYBE two shots are all that will be able to be fired, shot placement maybe a problem.
One huge, heavy slug gets my vote.

i agree

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
In the unlikely event that one finds themselves under attack by a large Alaskan bear they will need substantial penetration and power to break bones. Buckshot isn't going to cut it. Full power slug loads.

Bear skulls are thick and their shoulders are dense and covered by thick muscle and fat. If the bear is coming at you, that's what you see. Buckshot is plenty to kill a bear eventually, but I wouldn't want to count on it to stop one quickly in a charge.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
I’d go with Tru Ball penetrators.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post